Got A Migraine? Cannabis Could Help: Compounds In The Drug Are Better Than Medication

Ron Strider

Chemicals in cannabis could be effective at treating painful migraines, research has revealed.

And cannabinoids, the compounds in marijuana that make you feel high, may even be better at treating pain than recommended migraine medication.

Researchers found that pills containing the chemicals reduced the pain felt by migraine sufferers by 43.5 per cent.

And the drug had a number of positive side effects, including stopping stomach aches and pain in the muscles, according to the researchers.

Previous research has found cannabis can reduce migraines by targeting cells in the body that control pain relief and inflammation.

Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at the University of York, told MailOnline: 'This research suggests that compounds found in cannabis are as effective as amitriptyline, a traditional prescription medication used to treat acute painful headaches.

'This provides promise for people who experience adverse effects from prescription medication.

'The analgesic properties of cannabis have been known for some time so this research adds to existing evidence of the potential that cannabis compounds have in the treatment and management of common health problems.'

How was the study conducted?

For the study, researchers recruited 79 volunteers who suffered from migraines and cluster headaches.

Migraines and cluster headaches have different causes and symptoms.

Cluster headaches come on suddenly and affect one side of the head, while migraines can vary in intensity and can cause symptoms such as nausea and light sensitivity.

The researchers administered an oral dose of a drug containing two compounds from cannabis every day for three months.

The first, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is the chemical responsible for most of cannabis' psychological effects, including hallucination

And the second, cannabidiol (CBD), does not contribute to feelings of euphoria, but is thought to potential therapeutic benefits including acting as an antioxidant.

Patients with cluster headaches were given a daily 200mg dose of the THC-CBD combination drug or a 25mg dose of amitriptyline, an antidepressant commonly used to treat migraines.

And patients with migraines were offered 200mg of the TCH-CBD treatment to take when they felt acute pain.

What did the researchers discover?

The researchers found that the TCH-CBD drug was better at reducing the severity and number of cluster headache attacks than common medication.

Cannabinoid treatment reduced cluster headaches by 40.4 per cent, while amitriptyline cut headaches by 40.1 per cent.

And the researchers also found that the drug was effective at treating acute pain caused by migraines, cutting pain severity by 43.5 per cent.

This finding suggests the TCH-CBD drug may be more effective at treating pain than common migraine medication, the researchers found.

The drug was also able to cut pain for cluster headache sufferers, but only if they had previously experienced migraines in childhood.

'We were able to demonstrate that cannabinoids are an alternative to established treatments in migraine prevention,' said lead researcher Dr Maria Nicolodi, from the Interuniversity Center in Florence, Italy.

'That said, they are only suited for use in the acute treatment of cluster headaches in patients with a history of migraine from childhood on.'

Dr Nicolodi added the TCH-CBD treatment had a number of side effects that were both positive and negative.

Positive side effects included fewer stomach aches, reduced pain in the muscles and fewer symptoms of colitis, painful inflammation of the colon.

But negative side effects included drowsiness and difficulty concentrating, the researchers added.

Flower_-_Shutterstock.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cannabis could help treat migraines, research suggests | Daily Mail Online
Author: Daisy Dunne
Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Re: Got A Migraine? Cannabis Could Help: Compounds In The Drug Are Better Than Medica

But negative side effects included drowsiness and difficulty concentrating, the researchers added. - And what migraine in and of it's self does not do this? Give me the natural herb in pill format, over 200 mg's of Iburfine any day. Thou I don't recommend having a cone as that was not a great idea to have at the time.

Re: Got A Migraine? Cannabis Could Help: Compounds In The Drug Are Better Than Medica

"And cannabinoids, the compounds in marijuana that make you feel high...."

CBD's are cannabinoids and they don't make one high.

Maybe he meant to say, "And THC cannabinoids, the compounds in marijuana that make you feel high...."

I started getting cluster headaches / migraines in 1978 . They were crippling I would have migraines that lasted for days . The doctors at the VA gave me propaprananol and tranquilizers to start with then added morphine . Eventually over time the cluster headaches and migraines subsided but I would still get occasional migraines that would knock me out for days screaming in pain . I started smoking cannabis to treat chronic pain from CPID . The cannabis helps with the CPID but I've also noticed that I haven't had a migraine or cluster headache attack in the last three years since I started with the cannabis . Weather cannabis helped me with this I can't say but these are the results . .
I hope that some day soon cannabis will become completely legal so that real scientists and doctors can do research .
Thank you .

Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at the University of York, told MailOnline: 'This research suggests that compounds found in cannabis are as effective as amitriptyline, a traditional prescription medication used to treat acute painful headaches.

Just for a point of perspective, MailOnline is the online component of Britain's Daily Mail, little more than a throwaway. One of two tabloids that has historically featured a nearly naked woman on p. 2, every single day of publication! Readers beware.

I realize that getting cannabis-related stories published is tough, but a story only need be sensationalistic to get it published here.:goodjob:

The last time I had a migraine, I rubbed my homemade canna-oil on my forehead. About fifteen minutes later, It was gone.

The last strain that I got...unidentified...was great. My wife's migraine stopped and the nerve pain in my leg stopped. Just waiting for me to get it legally, now that I can! Slept like a baby, too! I just have to find out which strain it was.

"And cannabinoids, the compounds in marijuana that make you feel high...."

CBD's are cannabinoids and they don't make one high.

Well, one can give the author the benefit of the doubt and assume he used the term cannabinoid to refer to more than one substance (which it does). And there are several that, combined, determine the effect profile of the cannabis. It's not just "THC vs. CBD," either. Yes, the ratio of those will tend to be the main determining factor in regards to whether the effect is more "up" or "couchlock." But... Well, two sativas can have significantly differing effects. An Asian strain, such as a Thai sativa, might be described as being "trippy," for example. Some African sativas have a higher amount of THCV than average, which (helps) give them the effect that they have. Et cetera.

BtW, I used to have some Romulan that seemed to help my regular migraines more than any other strain I'd tried. Wish I still had that one. I don't see it (or even much that claims that as one of its parents) at seedbanks.

Back
Top Bottom