ME: Damariscotta To Survey Residents On Marijuana

Ron Strider

At a public hearing prior to the July 19 Damariscotta Board of Selectmen meeting, about 20 residents had a lot to say about marijuana.

Most of it was positive. In November, Damariscotta voted to approve the state's proposed marijuana legalization. As the board considered possible restrictions to the five types of marijuana businesses, most who spoke out had few concerns.

The five options are retail sales, social clubs, cultivation facilities, manufacturing facilities and testing facilities.

In a retail sales operation, adults 21 and over would be able to purchase marijuana for use elsewhere. In addition to the herb, there could be other forms of the drug offered for sale, including edibles, such as candies and brownies, and tinctures that could be used to allow the active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, to be absorbed through the skin or under the tongue, according to information provided at the meeting.

A social club is like a bar or pub for alcohol. Adults could buy the product to be consumed there, and alcohol could not be sold. However, food and other drinks could be obtained.

A cultivation facility could be either indoors or outdoors; plants are raised for use, in farms and greenhouses, for example. Some plants do well outdoors, especially ones used for tinctures and edibles, while the female bud primarily used for smoking is best grown under cover with other female plants. The plants go on to either a manufacturing facility to be processed into edibles or tinctures, or to a facility where the buds are tested for potency, purity and anything that might have accumulated in the plant during the growing process, such as heavy metals.

The law also gives adults the right to grow their own plants, up to six adult plants per person, and multiple juveniles or seedlings. No tax is charged for marijuana grown for personal use. Towns do not regulate that aspect of the marijuana law.

Shari Sage said she opposed restricting marijuana locations the way adult entertainment facilities were restricted. "It's demonizing the use of marijuana," she said. She said her biggest concern was second-hand smoke. Overall, she was in favor of all the possible businesses, stating that marijuana has a lot of health benefits not currently recognized by medical marijuana laws.

Jim Campbell said he had no problem with any of the options. "If something goes haywire, that's what the police are for," he said.

Natalie House was less enthusiastic. "I am surprised it passed," she said. "I don't think we should have marijuana that looks like candy. I also think we should limit how much they can grow."

Cathy Smith said although marijuana was prohibited for the last 70 years, it was used commonly before that. "The real question is how Damariscotta will grant licenses," she said. She suggested encouraging businesses known as "bud and breakfasts" where people can spend the night while the owners of the hotels provide the marijuana. "Then we would know they wouldn't be driving after imbibing," she said.

Connor Smith said public education on the issues surrounding marijuana are just as important as law enforcement. "Where would we be able to set up social clubs? Out in the back of beyond like adult bookstores? That's stigmatizing. Cannabis shops will be very sensitive to public concerns," he said.

Lorraine Faherty was mostly concerned about the issues of drugged driving. "I'm worried about these social clubs for that reason," she said. "Someone goes in and smokes for half an hour or so and then leaves to go home in his car."

Pen Way said retail shops and social clubs should be tiered, and pointed out that there are six bars within an eighth of a mile in downtown Damariscotta and Newcastle. "It wouldn't be right to allow them to exist and not retail shops and social clubs in the same area."

Police Chief Jason Warlick said there aren't many statistics for car crashes and increased crime in areas where marijuana is legal. "I have to say, social clubs scare me," he said. "People will be driving impaired." He also said manufacturing facilities often use butane in making tinctures. "That's really an issue for the fire chief," he said.

Ed Selzer said the reality is, marijuana is illegal at the federal level. "I'm a member of the older set, very conservative," he said. "I oppose any use of marijuana except under certain medical circumstances. What does it say to our kids? In my opinion, it's flat-out not OK."

Emily Blount of Healthy Lincoln County said the agency's focus is on preventing access to youth. She offered the services of the agency to help meet that goal.

Robin Mayer said that what she heard was, no one wanted prohibition. Mark Hagar said he would appreciate funding through the marijuana taxation or through service fees that would help Damariscotta solve the problems that might arise, since the town already has issues related to its role as a service center.

The board agreed to continue the conversation, and instructed Town Manager Matt Lutkus to put together a survey that would be available at town hall or sent to residents.

Mayer joked that maybe the town should hold a pot luck dinner to get everyone together to talk about the issue.

Flower3_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Damariscotta to survey residents on marijuana | Wiscasset Newspaper
Author: Gina Hamilton
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Website: Wiscasset Newspaper | Serving the Lincoln County seat and its neighboring communities

Back
Top Bottom