Sheriff Hopes To Lay Down Law On Illegal Pot Growers

Ron Strider

Humboldt County Sheriff William Honsal says that he is laying down the law when it comes to illegal marijuana grows in Humboldt County.

"Number one: if they are not a permitted grower then they are a priority. Number two is that they are damaging the environment, we don't want any of these people that are out there damaging the environment and ruining the rural lifestyle of Humboldt County."

Honsal said it's impossible to visit the 12,000-plus cannabis grows in the county, so they rely on community tips, to take down illegal growers.

"We are a complaint-driven agency when it comes to marijuana, so when people complain we look, and then we see if the person is in the permitting process or permitted grower," said the sheriff. He added, "If they are a permitted grower, it's not our issue unless they are selling to the black market or having some environmental crimes we are not going to associate."

To be fully permitted in the county, cannabis cultivators must be licensed with a "Zoning Clearance Certificate", approved by the planning department, and also have a "County Business License for marijuana".

The sheriff noted that over 2,000 permit applications have been filed by growers and processors. Eight-hundred of those are completed, but only 43 have been cleared.

"So there's going to be different stages in getting the certification that we need and that's why we are giving these people time," said Honsal.

But pending applicants can still do business. They must have documentation to prove legitimacy, such as a signed affidavit for "commercial cannabis activity" and a documented site plan.

The sheriff said he's bringing on extra help to implement marijuana laws.

"We just closed the hiring process. We hope to bring these people on board and get them trained, so by the end of the year we could put two more in the marijuana unit."

Bud_-_AP.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Sheriff hopes to lay down law on illegal pot growers - KRCR
Author: Max Rodriguez
Photo Credit: AP

Humboldt County Sheriff William Honsal says that he is laying down the law when it comes to illegal marijuana grows in Humboldt County.

"Number one: if they are not a permitted grower then they are a priority. Number two is that they are damaging the environment, we don't want any of these people that are out there damaging the environment and ruining the rural lifestyle of Humboldt County."

Dear @sshole: You've got your priorities in the wrong order.

Aside from that, I read that, in 2015, the murder rate in your county was almost double your state's average (and I'm guessing that other violent crimes, and thefts are not completely unknown there, either). So... Again, your priorities are screwed up.

If I hire someone to guard my property, and he spends all his time shooting squirrels for crapping in the yard - and, meanwhile, I get robbed blind - I'm going to fire him. And then I'm going to kick his @ss....

Back
Top Bottom