Dem Senator: Administration Crackdown On Marijuana Is 'Backward And Inhumane'

Ron Strider

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) on Sunday slammed the Trump administration's crackdown on marijuana users, calling it "backward and inhumane."

"This is backward and inhumane," Schatz tweeted. "I hope every third-party voting progressive remembers this. There's a real difference between R's and D's."

Schatz said Attorney General Jeff Sessions is reversing eight years of process toward a "more humane, less expensive, more just system," by focusing on punishing marijuana users with tougher sentences.

President Trump's Task Force on Crime Reduction and Public Safety, led by Sessions, is expected to release a report next week that criminal justice reform advocates fear will link marijuana to violent crime and recommend tougher sentences for those caught growing, selling and smoking the plant.

Sessions sent a memo in April updating the U.S. Attorney's Offices and Department of Justice Department (DOJ) component heads on the work of the task force, which he said would be accomplished through various subcommittees. In the memo, Sessions said he has asked for initial recommendations no later than July 27.

Criminal justice reform advocates fear Sessions's memo signals stricter enforcement is ahead.

Eight states and the District of Columbia have legalized the recreational use of marijuana, and another 21 states allow the use of medical marijuana, according to the Marijuana Policy Project, but marijuana use is still illegal under federal law.

Smoking_A_Joint3_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Dem senator: Administration crackdown on marijuana is ‘backward and inhumane’ | TheHill
Author: Aida Chavez
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Website: The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill

This is just more evidence that the psychopaths in power do not care about human rights or freedom. The 'powers that think they be' only care about the status quo of power, profit, and control. Those in power seek to profit from the control of the people and the planet (and a plant).

There's a real difference between R's and D's."

I usually get fired up and deposit a [RANT] whenever I see a politician making something out to be an "us vs. them" thing, because it's generally something that both parties are at least partially responsible for. But I'm going to give this guy a pass because I do at least agree with his general message. And because...

Schatz said Attorney General Jeff Sessions is reversing eight years of process toward a "more humane, less expensive, more just system," by focusing on punishing marijuana users with tougher sentences.

...the guy is against Sessions, and I happen to think he's a real douche bag. So... Yeah, it might be small of me, lol, but I'm giving him a few extra points for it.

This is just more evidence that the psychopaths in power do not care about human rights or freedom. The 'powers that think they be' only care about the status quo of power, profit, and control. Those in power seek to profit from the control of the people and the planet (and a plant).

Welcome to a representative republic (also known as our little democracy). You are seeing what happens when the voting public don't feel it is important to THINK before voting, to vote for the popular choice, to believe "Sure, I've been a complete pr!ck, and am very much a member of Big Bad Business. But, hey, vote for me because I'm against Big Bad Business." :rolleyes3 :icon_roll . Anyone can tell you that they will do anything. Put that in one hand, crap in the other... and there won't be much difference between the two things you're holding. It's far more important, IMHO, to look at what the person has already done. This go-round was... <I don't even have the words for it.> before the primaries were even over. IDK. I just... IDK. It us with a choice between sociopath and... again, I don't have the words for it. I'll confess I voted for the guy. I did so because I didn't think there'd be that many... well meaning idiots? wildly optimistic people? Anyway, I never thought he'd actually win, especially win my state. So I was hoping for a tie. Hoping for a tie in the Electoral College vote, actually. Because then it'd be mathematically possible that one of the other candidates could have been chosen (one in a million chance, even if that had happened, sure, but possible). Because I'd have much rather seen that former CIA guy that one a delegate or two in some western state or other be President. The thought of that didn't exactly fill me with happiness, considering what his past employer has been responsible for around the world, though the decades. But he wouldn't act like a corrupt Chicago politician back in the bad old days, that's for sure. He'd have enough sense to know that the Russian leader is an example of the worst of the KGB thugs gone gang leader I mean capitalist. And I suspect... That worrying about whether or not someone was smoking - or even growing - cannabis would rank somewhere around #32,768 on the list of problems/issues that desperately need to be dealt with. He'd also know the value of good intel, the fallibility of humint, and the advisability of not publishing every halfwit thought he had on Twitter. Other than that, I don't really care whether he's a saint or a complete pr!ck, lol - he'd be a more effective leader.

Back
Top Bottom