220 Arkansans Have Medical Marijuana Certification

Ron Strider

As the state prepares to usher in medical marijuana, some Arkansans are already getting their certification to take it. So far, 220 people have been certified by the state to get their medical marijuana card.

Robert Brech of the Arkansas Health Department says they've approved about 50 percent from the applications they've received.

"As of today I don't know of any actual rejections other than we've sent them back trying to get clarification," Brech said. "There's some things people are just missing, whether it's just the written certification from a physician, whether or not they're signing the bottom of that form, proper identification, things like that."

Brech says cards will be sent out 30 days before marijuana goes on sale.

While only 220 are approved so far, nearly 1,000 people have created an account on the Health Department's website to start the process.

"I think maybe some people are discouraged or surprised that the numbers are so low, but at this point I wouldn't put too much into that. Since marijuana isn't for sale, people aren't in a big rush," Brech said.

Currently, there are six doctors listed on the Arkansas Cannabis Industry Association's website as doctors who are willing to write certifications.

The only central Arkansas doctor is Betsy Hendricks of Conway.

In Jonesboro, doctor Dane Flippin is listed.

Dr. David Diffine is listed in Blytheville and Paragould.

Dr. John House is listed in Eureka Springs and Dr. Tammy Post in Springdale and Barling.

Also, opening in August in Fort Smith is a clinic that will be partially dedicated to medical marijuana called Ft. Smith medical.

The Health Department says they'll be checking those certifications to make sure they're valid.

"We may ensure that a doctor filled it out but I don't think we're going to be looking behind that," Brech said.

The application process for cultivation sites and dispensaries is still underway, so the actual sale of marijuana is not expected until sometime next year.

Arkansas_-_Flickr.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 220 Arkansans have medical marijuana certification | KATV
Author: Elicia Dover
Contact: Little Rock Contact | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KATV
Photo Credit: Flickr
Website: Little Rock News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KATV

Back
Top Bottom