AK: Will Fairbanks Go To Pot

Ron Strider

A few years ago when Alaska had the marijuana initiative on the ballot, I was asked what I thought the impact of legalizing marijuana would be on our state. My response was to suggest that Alaska wait a year or two to see how the other states were faring under their new legalization laws.

Colorado had legalized marijuana in 2012 and had an initial track record. I had met Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado earlier, so I contacted his office and spoke with his chief of staff and asked him what the impact of legalization had been on his state. His response was direct and to the point: "It is a disaster." He said the Colorado General Assembly was sold on the assumption that legalization would generate big dollars for Colorado. It was to fund many of the needs of those who required assistance. It was to help fund education, recreation, health care, libraries – all good things.

But it didn't work out that way.

The black market cannot be undersold. The state of Colorado markets cannabis at a price designed to make an attractive return to fund the worthwhile charity causes, but the well-organized black market sells the same products cheaper. So, the revenue the state had projected to receive for charitable purposes was never achieved because the funds had to be used to combat the black market sales. The monies were expended to investigate, fine and prosecute those involved in the black market sales and those who were growing marijuana and shipping their products out of state to areas where it is still outlawed.

Gov. Hickenlooper has signed into law a measure that sets aside nearly $6 million a year to reimburse police for investigating black market marijuana activity that authorities say has increased since legalization has attracted illicit marijuana growers along with legal ones.

It is no secret that Anchorage and Fairbanks are experiencing an increase in crime, most of which is drug-related. Gangs are moving in to Alaska because there are more dollars here and because marijuana prices are higher.

So, I guess the question before all of us voters in Fairbanks is, "Do we want to maintain our better quality of life or will we let it go to pot?"

Consider this, Fairbanks voters, when you go to the polls on Oct. 3 to vote on measures in the city and the borough to prohibit legalized marijuana businesses in this area.

Frank Murkowski served as Alaska governor from 2002 to 2006. He represented Alaska in the U.S. Senate from 1981 to 2002.

Immature_Flower2_-_Getty_Images.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Will Fairbanks go to pot? | Community Perspectives | newsminer.com
Author: Frank Murkowski
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Back
Top Bottom