Committee Assembled To Assess Medical Marijuana In Tennessee

Ron Strider

State Rep. Jeremy Faison, R-Cosby, and Sen. Steve Dickerson, R-Nashville, have been appointed Co-Chairmen of the Joint Ad Hoc Committee on Medical Cannabis in the Tennessee General Assembly.

Eight Republican members of the legislature have been selected from both the House and Senate to "study, evaluate, analyze, and undertake a comprehensive review" regarding whether the legalization of cannabis for medicinal purposes is in the state's best interest. The group will also make recommendations about future legislation to members of the Tennessee General Assembly during the upcoming 2018 legislative session.

"Chairman Faison has demonstrated his passion about this critical issue during his time serving as a member of the Tennessee General Assembly," said Speaker Beth Harwell. "We are fortunate to have him as a part of this important committee, and we appreciate his willingness to examine additional ways we may be able to improve the quality of life for citizens of this state."

"It is an honor to be appointed to help lead this important group whose work could benefit tens of thousands of Tennesseans in the coming years. I have always been a strong advocate for the legalization of medical cannabis during my time serving our residents. My fellow committee members and I are eager to learn more about the possible benefits of medical cannabis for those who seek an alternative method to treat their illnesses or manage their pain," Faison said.

Last year, Faison did research in Colorado, where medical marijuana is legal and where marijuana is a legal controlled substance, talking with former residents of Tennessee who moved to that state to obtain medical marijuana treatment.

He represents House District 11, which includes Cocke and parts of Jefferson and Greene counties.

Prescription_Marijuana_-_Flickr.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Committee assembled to assess medical marijuana in Tennessee | Local News | citizentribune.com
Photo Credit: Flickr
Website: citizentribune.com | Serving the Lakeway Region since 1966

Back
Top Bottom