CT: Proponents Of Recreational Cannabis Say They Are Still Short Votes

Ron Strider

Advocates of legalizing recreational marijuana use still believe it's the right thing to do, which is why they held a press conference again Tuesday at the Legislative Office Building.

As lawmakers look to pass a two-year state budget, cannabis supporters are still fighting for a chance to be included. But state Rep. Josh Elliott said they are still 17 votes shy of approval within the House Democratic caucus.

"It comes up virtually every caucus and not by the same people," Elliott, a freshman Democrat from Hamden, said. "And it's hard to tell if there's any movement on it."

He said Democrats have been losing seats for six years and "you would think that people in our caucus would want to jump onto something that's got 63 percent support."

Nearly two-thirds of Connecticut voters, or 63 percent, support making possession of small amounts of cannabis legal for adults, according to a March 2015 Quinnipiac University poll. The university has not done any polling on Connecticut issues since June 2016.

A bill that would have legalized the drug was debated and then tabled by the House in June.

Eight states and Washington, D.C. have legalized recreational pot.

For Rep. Robyn Porter, a New Haven Democrat, it's a social issue.

"Yes, we have a budget problem in Connecticut that's persistent," Porter said. "But more importantly for me, it's a social issue."

She said black and brown people are being sent to jail for non-violent offenses and crimes that have only impacted themselves.

She said they were caught with marijuana for personal use and "were caught up in a system designed to decimate, as far as I'm concerned, people who look like me."

But it's not only Democrats who support legalization.

There's also Republican support for the proposal.

Advocates_in_Connecticut_-_Christine_Stuart.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Proponents of recreational cannabis say they are still short votes for legalization - New Haven Register
Author: Christine Stuart
Photo Credit: Christine Stuart

Back
Top Bottom