IL: Kane State's Attorney Fights Legalization Of Marijuana

Ron Strider

Kane County State's Attorney Joe McMahon has come out strongly against the legalization of marijuana in Illinois, saying that any new tax revenues that may be gained aren't "worth our children's futures."

McMahon made clear in a letter to 15 lawmakers who represent the county that he unequivocally opposes legislation regarding the drug currently pending in Springfield.

"I urge you to oppose SB316, as well as any future legislation that would legalize cannabis for anything other than medical use," McMahon wrote in the letter.

SB316, known as the Cannabis Regulation and Taxation Act, proposes to make it legal for Illinois residents over the age of 21 to possess 28 grams or less of marijuana, up to five marijuana plants and related marijuana paraphernalia. The bill, which is currently in a committee, also establishes the ground rules for businesses looking to develop and sell the drug, as well how sales would be taxed by the state.

McMahon said during a press briefing this week that he sees no compelling reason for Illinois to take same the leap a handful of other states – Colorado, Oregon, Washington and Alaska – already have made to authorize legal possession and sales of marijuana.

"I don't know that we'll ever be ready for it. I don't know if I'll ever be ready for it," McMahon said.

Specific to McMahon's concerns, the letter mentions research which indicates the negative affects of marijuana on the still-developing brains of adolescents and young adults, as well as the associated academic and job performance problems among users. McMahon said it stands to reason that making marijuana legally available to adults will lead to greater accessibility to the drug for children.

In the public safety realm, McMahon said data from states where marijuana is legal showed, among other criminal issues, spikes in robberies and an increase in fatal vehicle accidents.

"We already have enough challenges with alcohol," McMahon commented.

The letter bluntly strikes at proponents' contentions about less crime and more tax money flowing into state coffers.

"... anticipated benefits to legal marijuana – increased tax revenue and reduced crime – have failed to materialize" in states with legalized marijuana, McMahon wrote. "It is foolish to believe Illinois could navigate a more productive path. ... I hope you will all agree that the lure of potential revenue is not worth our children's futures or increased safety risks."

Kane_County_States_Attorney_Joe_McMahon_-_Sean_King.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Kane state's attorney fights legalization of marijuana - Aurora Beacon-News
Author: Dan Campana
Photo Credit: Sean King
Website: Chicago Tribune: Chicago breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic

This dude needs to go fuck himself.
Pretends he has children's and others best interests at heart yet he's in all likelihood just another fucking pedophile, rapist, wife abuser.

So instead of legal, good cannabis, he wants to keep sending people to Aurora for that infamous A-Town brown brick weed so you too can support your local street gang... figures...

Corrupt IL gov officials again plague the people. They like their "good old boys" system...

I believe the word everybody is looking for is indoctrination. Clearly this guy takes Reefer Madness as gospel. Cannabis it turns out has been with us a good long while. So yes, I say, we are ready for it. What do you expect from 80 years of Anslinger flavored Kool-Aid?

Back
Top Bottom