Jeff Sessions Slams Marijuana Legalization (Again)

Ron Strider

The nation's top law enforcer is continuing to speak out against marijuana legalization.

"I've never felt that we should legalize marijuana," U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on Wednesday. "It doesn't strike me that the country would be better if it's being sold on every street corner. We do know that legalization results in greater use."

While not giving a clear answer about the enforcement of federal prohibition laws in states that have changed their cannabis policies, Sessions, a longtime legalization opponent, said, "Federal law remains in effect."

Last week, U.S. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein made fairly ominous comments about marijuana policy reform, adding that the Trump administration is still deciding whether or not to reverse Obama-era guidance that generally allows states to legalize cannabis without federal interference.

Under the so-called "Cole Memo," named after the former Obama Justice Department official who authored it in 2013, the federal government set out certain criteria that, if followed, would allow states to implement their own laws mostly without intervention. Those criteria concern areas like youth use, impaired driving and interstate trafficking.

On the campaign trail, then-candidate Donald Trump repeatedly pledged to respect state marijuana laws.

But in April, Sessions directed a Justice Department task force to review the Obama administration memo and make recommendations for possible changes.

However, that panel did not provide Sessions with any ammunition to support a crackdown on states, according to the Associated Press, which reviewed excerpts of the task force's report to the attorney general.

Sessions' new comments came in response to a reporter's question following a San Diego press conference about large-scale Coast Guard seizures of cocaine and heroin.

In contrast to the attorney general's claims about marijuana use rates after prohibition is ended, a study released last week concluded that state legalization does not lead to greater cannabis consumption.

Jeff_Sessions3_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Jeff Sessions Slams Marijuana Legalization (Again)
Author: Tom Angell
Photo Credit: Getty Images

I wonder if this man owns stock of - or is in bed with a lobbyist from - one of the various alcoholic beverage businesses?

Actually... Does the man still hold Vanguard investments? Seems like I read that Vanguard owns more private prison stock than any other investment fund. Towards the end of Obama's presidency, the DoJ announced that it would end the use of private prisons. But Sessions rescinded that order back in February of this year. If he still has investments related to the private prison industry - or if he had them during the time period when he made that decision in February - then he is guilty of the conflict of interest statute, 18 U.S.C. § 208.

It would certainly explain why he's been working so hard at creating a political climate where the most people possible (IOW, not just cannabis users) are put behind bars.

Makes me sick. Republicans are supposed to be for personal liberties.... live and let live. "We the people" grew hemp but WE the people cant? I guess not. Certianly not when an all natural remedy that can take the place of thousands of prescriptions sold every day. God forbid we cut out the cartels, increase tax revenue, create jobs, decrease crime rates, stop overcrowding prisons for petty MJ offenses, and most importantly give people a choice other than addicting, life crippling, prescription medications.

:exasperated breath:

Ok I'm done and getting down from my soap box now.

Actually... Does the man still hold Vanguard investments? Seems like I read that Vanguard owns more private prison stock than any other investment fund. Towards the end of Obama's presidency, the DoJ announced that it would end the use of private prisons. But Sessions rescinded that order back in February of this year. If he still has investments related to the private prison industry - or if he had them during the time period when he made that decision in February - then he is guilty of the conflict of interest statute, 18 U.S.C. § 208.

It would certainly explain why he's been working so hard at creating a political climate where the most people possible (IOW, not just cannabis users) are put behind bars.

So you are saying sessions owns or owned vanguard?

Politics. Same game. Different players. Each has thier hands in certain jars. And they will do anything to keep filling thier own jars with cookies. Someone comes along with tastier cookies and all of a sudden they're evil. They're criminals etc etc just cuz he's mad he won't be able to keep filling his own jar. Even tho he has enough cookies to last him a lifetime. Greed. Nothing else.

Makes me sick. Republicans are supposed to be for personal liberties.... live and let live. "We the people" grew hemp but WE the people cant? I guess not. Certianly not when an all natural remedy that can take the place of thousands of prescriptions sold every day. God forbid we cut out the cartels, increase tax revenue, create jobs, decrease crime rates, stop overcrowding prisons for petty MJ offenses, and most importantly give people a choice other than addicting, life crippling, prescription medications.

:exasperated breath:

Ok I'm done and getting down from my soap box now.

You point out exactly how contradictory, greedy, destructive and irrational the current administration is. They're getting us much closer to extinction, zealously...

Somehow we need to get the public aware of this.
Problem is the majority of ppl are just brainwashed. Dumbed down to the point where it doesn't even cross thier mind to do any research. Just believe whatever the news tells em. Really sad. As humans we have this amazing brain that we can use but some ppl like being just in their little bubble.

I couldn't agree more. Sadly politics has always been a game of power and moves. How many of you know the real reason why MJ was illegalized to begin with?

Problem is the majority of ppl are just brainwashed. Dumbed down to the point where it doesn't even cross thier mind to do any research. Just believe whatever the news tells em. Really sad. As humans we have this amazing brain that we can use but some ppl like being just in their little bubble.

Wasn't it like ON the news, lol? I'm pretty sure that was where I heard it. Had to search for the link I posted, because I didn't have anything on it bookmarked.

But I listen to some news programs and networks that don't sell commercial space, so I guess there isn't that... perceived need to make every episode a side show / freak show. I don't hear much at all about which whore is doing who, which actor just screwed his costar because his wife was all the way across town kind of garbage that their own neighbors probably don't even want to hear.

Jin Terra: I couldn't agree more. Sadly politics has always been a game of power and moves. How many of you know the real reason why MJ was illegalized to begin with?

I know that it started being made illegal back in the 1920s, about the same time that the Temperance movement was advocating for Prohibition of alcohol. But I've always presumed that the primary reason was that public use was increasing due to the unavailability of alcohol and as it wasn't part of the tax structure, i.e., under the control of the government, that they controlled it by making it illegal.

I really don't know, just my best guess.

Back
Top Bottom