CA: La Verne Prohibits Commercial Cannabis, Sets Regulations For Personal Cultivation

Ron Strider

Members of the La Verne City Council recently approved an ordinance banning all commercial marijuana activities in the city along with setting regulations for the personal cultivation of pot.

Council members gave unanimous final approval to the ordinance, which was part of the Oct. 16 consent agenda, without discussion, City Manager Bob Russi said Friday.

The council gave preliminary approval to the ordinance Sept. 5, and the matter was expected to return to the council Sept. 18 for final approval but was pulled off the agenda, according to a city staff report.

Revisions were made to the proposed ordinance in order to include references to the state’s Medicinal and Adult-Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act, which Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law in late June, the staff report reads.

The revised proposal was presented to the City Council for preliminary approval Oct. 2, Russi said.

The ordinance repealed the portion of La Verne’s existing municipal code containing regulations pertaining to medical marijuana and replaced it with new language covering all types of marijuana activity.

Under the ordinance, all commercial cannabis activities and uses associated with medical marijuana and “adult use cannabis” are banned in the city, according to the ordinance.

Medical marijuana dispensaries have been banned in the city since January 2016.

“The City Council finds that the prohibition on commercial cannabis activity is necessary for the preservation of and protection of the public health, safety and welfare of the city,” the ordinance reads. “The prohibition of such uses is within the authority conferred upon the City Council by state law and is an exercise of its police powers to enact and enforce regulation for the public health, safety and welfare.”

City residents will be allowed to grow a maximum of six marijuana plants for personal use “within a fully enclosed and secure structure at a residence, subject to reasonable regulations of the city,” according to the ordinance.

Those who wish to grow marijuana must obtain a permit from the city’s Community Development Department and pay any fees required by the City Council, the ordinance reads.

All across California, cities and counties are in the process of approving and setting local regulations in place before Jan. 1, 2018, which is when the state will begin to oversee recreational marijuana operations. The state’s role includes oversight of the cultivation, testing and distribution of nonmedical marijuana and the manufacturing of nonmedical marijuana products.

California voters went to the polls Nov. 8, 2016, and approved Proposition 64, also known as the Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act. Under Proposition 64, it became legal the day after the election for those 21 and older to use marijuana and to cultivate a maximum of six marijuana plants per residence.

Local governments can set rules for the regulation of recreational marijuana establishments within their cities but they must move quickly and have them in place before Jan. 1.

Flowers_-_Ed_Crisostomo.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: La Verne Council prohibits commercial cannabis activities, sets regulations for personal pot cultivation – Daily Bulletin
Author: Monica Rodriguez
Photo Credit: Ed Crisostomo
Website: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin: Local News, Sports and Things to Do

Re: CA: La Verne Prohibits Commercial Cannabis, Sets Regulations For Personal Cultiva

"Council members gave unanimous final approval to the ordinance, which was part of the Oct. 16 consent agenda, without discussion, City Manager Bob Russi said Friday."

Time to exercise your voter election rights, let them know how you really feel about it

Re: CA: La Verne Prohibits Commercial Cannabis, Sets Regulations For Personal Cultiva

It's my understanding that prop 64 gives us the right to grow up to six plants in our homes, unless landlord says no. If local government requires a fee and if we refuse, that means we don't have the right to grow? If they want to ban growing, isn't it a loophole if they charge an excessive fee? By paying the fee, wouldn't that give them the right to come into your home for compliance inspections? They expect us to pay to forfeit our constitutional right to privacy? I don't think so, Tim.

"City residents will be allowed to grow a maximum of six marijuana plants for personal use
“within a fully enclosed and secure structure at a residence, subject to reasonable regulations of the city, according to the ordinance."

This undermines the bill and gives control to City Officials to charge unreasonable fees,
conduct UN-scheduled inspections, impose Fines & restrictions. Where does it stop

I say fire them all, the people of this state have already spoken on this

I noticed that said "subject to REASONABLE regulations of the city".

Wouldn't requiring someone to give up part of their constitional rights be considered unreasonable? Isn't this solid grounds for law suits against them?

The way I see it is if I can only grow inside my home because of their regulations, though shit,

Back
Top Bottom