Wales: Cwmbran Pensioner Takes Cannabis Fight to The Senedd

Ron Strider

A Pensioner from Cwmbran living with multiple sclerosis (MS) has taken her fight to allow cannabis to be used for medical reasons to the Senedd.

Sue Cox, who describes herself as 'the poster pensioner for pot', spoke at a meeting yesterday, Wednesday, where people living with MS and other conditions, campaigners and AMs discussed the use of the drug.

The 64-year-old ex-police officer, who was diagnosed with primary progressive MS in 2014 and uses cannabis to relieve her pain, said she saw little reason why the drug could not be approved for conditions such as hers.

"Currently we are in a situation where people have no other option and they are being driven to a black market where they can't be sure of the quality or dosage," she said.

"There are risks and Wales really does have an opportunity to lead the way here."

She added: "I would take all the medication that has been thrown at me and throw them all in the bin and have some cannabis.

"I didn't find side effects and I am not turning into a raging psychopath."

The approval of medication is not devolved to Wales and the Home Office has repeatedly refused to allow cannabis to be used for medical reasons.

But Newport West MP Paul Flynn has presented a bill to overhaul the law, which will be discussed in February next year.

There are more than 100,000 people with MS in the UK, and 5,000 in Wales. Studies have suggested around 10 per cent could benefit from cannabis.

Sue_Cox_-_Twitter.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cwmbran pensioner takes cannabis fight to the Senedd | South Wales Argus
Author: Rob Owen
Photo Credit: Twitter
Website: South Wales Argus, latest news, sport and info from Newport and Gwent

Back
Top Bottom