AZ: You Can Now Get A Degree In Marijuana In The Valley

Ron Strider

It's no secret the medical marijuana industry is booming. Now, people in the Valley are signing up to get certified by attending a cannabis college.

Chad Olshavsky calls himself the "Canidean."

He's the founder of Herbal Risings; the Valley's first school focusing on all things marijuana. He started the school in 2014 as a way to prepare individuals who want to work in the industry.

"We understand what they are looking for in an employee, so we put all that together in a one-day class," Olshavsky explained.

The class is six hours long and features guest speakers. Students are handed a certificate once completed.

It's open to anyone, and Olshavsky has seen all different kinds of people looking to change careers, looking to work in the medical marijuana industry.

Becky Calloway is one student who took the opportunity and ran with it.

"I realized I didn't have any knowledge before this class," Calloway said.

She now runs her own dispensary in Phoenix.

"Just with cannabis you're replacing people's medications," she said. "You're changing people's lives."

Cannabis college gave Carl Hall a way out of his restaurant job.

"Never looked forward to going to a job like this one," Hall said.

Justin Gurtler used to be in the restaurant business, too. He graduated culinary school but never felt truly fulfilled as a chef.

"I spent my whole life being told I couldn't work in this industry by my family," Gurtler said. "Cooking was my passion, but this is what I wanted to do for a living."

Cannabis college is not required, but Olshavsky said more and more dispensaries are requesting it.

He believes his class is not only offering new opportunities but adding credibility to an industry still trying to shake a stigma.

"We have a lot of people from other backgrounds coming in an saying, 'Wow, I'm so glad you put together this class because where else are you going to find this?'"

Bud4_-_Joe_Mahoney1.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Turns out, you can now get a degree in marijuana - ABC15 Arizona
Author: Lexi Sutter
Contact: About Us | abc15.com | Contact Info, 15 Links, Staff Bios, Jobs, TV Listings and more from ABC15 in Phoenix, Arizona | KNXV-TV
Photo Credit: Joe Mahoney

Back
Top Bottom