FL: First Medical Marijuana Dispensary Opens In Lee County

Ron Strider

People from all over the state lined up for hours to be part of the grand opening of Lee County's first medical marijuana dispensary.

Tuesday morning, Trulieve, a medical marijuana treatment center, opened a location in North Fort Myers. The store is the company's 12th location.

"It's worth it; I don't mind taking the drive as long as I know when I go home Lily is going to feel good," Victoria Mundaca said of her 3-year-old daughter who has leukemia.

Mundaca said medical marijuana is the only remedy they've used that has been able to give her daughter a somewhat normal life.

"She's going to get the relief that she needs, she's going to be able to eat her dinner tonight, she's going to be able to sleep tonight, she's going to get rid of that headache that she always has," Victoria said about the relief the medical marijuana gives Lily.

The new shop offers patients vaporizers, tinctures, syringes, capsules, nasal spray and topical cream. Tuesday morning, product was flying off the shelves.

"I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome," patient Valerie Wilson said, "so I suffer from a lot of chronic pain and this has really been wonderful for me, it's been amazing."

Though Lee County's commissioners have not addressed medical marijuana dispensaries directly, for now, the county is regulating the shop(s) as if it does for pharmacies.

North Fort Myers' neighbor to the south, Fort Myers, just had a discussion on whether to allow dispensaries like Trulieve to open up within city limits.

Nothing is set in stone, but a representative with the city said city staff has advised the council to adopt an amendment that would ban dispensaries from opening in Fort Myers.

All patients must go through the proper steps before they can purchase the medical marijuana. That includes getting screened by a doctor to see if they qualify, applying to the state, and finally receiving a medical marijuana ID card from the state.

CBD_Oil_Patient_-_Ben_Henry.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: First medical marijuana dispensary opens in Lee County - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Author: Ben Henry
Contact: Contact Us - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Photo Credit: Ben Henry
Website: Home - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Back
Top Bottom