Back Bay Resident Says Diatribe Against Marijuana Dispensary Was Attempt At Satire

Ron Strider

Ollie Curme, the Back Bay resident and venture capitalist whose testimony mocking veterans and cancer patients at a Boston hearing on a medical marijuana dispensary went viral before it was revealed as an attempt at satire, is defending his controversial stunt.

In an extended interview with the Globe on Thursday, Curme passionately extolled the virtues of medical marijuana, saying his father used it as an appetite stimulant while receiving chemotherapy treatments for the cancer that would later take his life.

Curme's testimony Tuesday night before the Boston Zoning Board of Appeal about a dispensary proposed for Newbury Street drew widespread condemnation after a video of the hearing was posted on social media.

Curme appeared to be speaking in opposition to the dispensary when he said it would attract "undesirable" people, such as veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder who should just "get over it" and breast cancer patients with a "cadaverous look."

But the Commonwealth Ave. resident insisted Thursday that his remarks were intended to satirize neighbors of his who had opposed the facility on the grounds it would expose children in the area to marijuana; he countered that the dispensary would have minimal signage and that kids would see only patients, not the drug.

"It was not at all compassionate," Curme said of the opponents' arguments. "I thought, 'How can I get through to these people?' And I decided that satire might be a good way to get their attention and make them realize how ugly the not-in-my-backyard approach really is. When you're voting against medical marijuana in your neighborhood, you're voting against children with epilepsy, people with Parkinson's and cancer – you're taking the same ugly point of view I represented at the [zoning] meeting."

"I mean, for God's sake," Curme added, "open your hearts and realize what you're denying to these patients."

Curme said the end of the full speech he had prepared would have made it obvious he was being satirical, but zoning officials cut him off before he could finish. In a video of his testimony, Curme does not preface his remarks or issue any warning, but instead launched into what seemed to be a distasteful diatribe.

As it happened, however, many people in the room – and later, online – took his testimony at face value. A video of the hearing posted on social media quickly went viral – even Keith Olbermann weighed in, telling his 1.1 million followers that Curme was "NOT a plant" – and prompted widespread outrage. Curme said he has received death threats.

"I really didn't know I was being recorded and that it would get put out on the national news," Curme said. "It took me a little aback."

Curme said he apologizes to anyone who took offense, but said he was happy the incident drew attention to the federal prohibition of cannabis.

His wife, Cynthia Curme, also apologized, and spent time on Twitter on Wednesday clarifying to critics that her husband's actions were meant to be sardonic.

"We again apologize for misunderstanding of what was meant to be satire!" she said in one of several tweets. "Are in favor of dispensary and happy it was approved."

Although there's been significant blowback, Curme said he thinks his faux-diatribe is making people think twice – not only about their own views of marijuana, but the federal government's stance as well.

"Federal policy targets veterans and people with intractable diseases is a very vicious way," he said. "I'm hoping people will start to realize that it's a silly issue to be against, and wonder, 'why is the federal government acting like Ollie Curme acted at that meeting?' "

Curme, who graduated from Harvard Business School and holds an undergraduate degree from Brown University, has worked for decades as a venture capitalist, including at the prominent firm Battery Ventures. He is currently the chairman of TDGC, a firm he founded to invest in China.

While some have speculated that Curme is only backtracking and labeling the remarks as satire because of the strong reaction, in August he sent a letter to his local city councilor and neighborhood association in support the Newbury Street dispensary.

"It is past time for fear mongering; now that marijuana is legal, purchasers should not be characterized as drug users, unsavory characters or homeless, any more than those who drink wine," Curme wrote. "I support the right of Massachusetts citizens to do so."

Boston_City_Hall_-_David_L_Ryan.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Back Bay resident says diatribe against marijuana dispensary was an attempt at satire - The Boston Globe
Author: Dan Adams
Photo Credit: David L Ryan

Back
Top Bottom