Cannabis-Infused Drinks Poised To Be The Next Big Thing

Ron Strider

Vaping, smoking, dabbing, shoving special brownies in your face – there’s no shortage of ways to partake in cannabis culture. But sipping weed is poised to become the next big thing.

Constellation Brands recently announced plans to pour almost $200 million into a Canadian marijuana grower with plans to develop non-alcoholic cannabis beverages. And Amsterdam Brewery just released a Cannabis Pale Ale flavored with terpenes, the oils that give cannabis plants and flowers their distinctive aromas and flavors.

Amsterdam’s Cannabis Pale Ale contains no THC (yep, the psychoactive component in cannabis that may spark paranoia when smoked) or CBD (which, in fast-acting liquid form, has particular appeal for patients in need of quick and tasty pain relief). But weed and hops are related and share organoleptic properties like resiny, piney, dank-ass lime notes. And that’s only the tip of the bud-berg (or whatever).

Drinks that get you specially buzzed are coming out of subcultural shadows and into the mainstream, so it’s high time (sorry) for a cannabis-infused drinks test.

In the name of science and judicious journalism, we sipped gingerly before we, devout hedonists that we are, circled back for seconds and thirds of what we loved – and subsequently gave up on work for the rest of the day.

Doses varied from 5-15 mg of cannabinoids per sample, which were each roughly one ounce.

Sainte Claire

Sainte Claire is the latest brand to come out of EP Infusions of Montreal. The orange and star anise flavor is delicious, like a bubbly non-alcoholic absinthe. This is my newfound muse. On the right summer day, I’d choose it over pastis (and I looooove pastis). Black licorice haters beware – star anise will remind you of your worst-case candy.

The elderflower and hibiscus, though, is my unequivocal favorite – pre, during and post-buzz. It’s tart and floral, a worty mouthful regardless of its fantastical primary purpose. If you’re into natural wine and want to experiment with something same-same but actually quite different, this’ll do.

Price $30 per 750 ml (75 mg dosage)

Availability Keep an eye on EP Fusions Instagram for upcoming pop-ups. They also make chocolate bars and other treats for the open-minded.

The buzz I’ve been warned that cannabis drinks do quick work, which is apparently not a lie. Stick to small amounts.

The Baker’s Shop

I had two shots of nostalgia from Toronto-based The Baker’s Shop – a sweet iced tea that tasted not unlike powdered Nestea on my grandma’s porch in late August, and a preternatural pink lemonade that reminded me of my Minute Maid side hustle at the stand where I mainly hawked whimsical pastel sketches of unicorns prancing through gem-scapes. The Baker’s Shop drinks are made with powdered THC and CBD, making them easy to purchase online. They’re also launching a line of seasonal hot drinks, because who doesn’t want an elevated matcha latte?

Price $10 per packet (80 mg dosage)

Availability herbaldispatch.com

The buzz My notes are getting more florid and less linear; I’m launching but still very thirsty.

Cannabucha Ginger

Of course there’s such a thing as cannabis kombucha. This one’s pretty punchy (too punchy even for a ginger-loving freak like me), but notably it’s the first sip I’ve taken so far that’s actually redolent of weed. I don’t love it as much as I want to, but I can see it coming in handy as a mid-day pick-me-up.

Price N/A

Availability The next Toronto Green Market pop-up December 10 (location to be announced). Check Toronto Green Market’s Facebook page for updates.

The buzz Soft-tripping.

Mary’s Echinacea Tea

This is like a tiny hit of health. Steeped and warm with a spot of honey stirred in, it beats out Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime in any scenario.

Price $5 per single-serve packet (60 mg THC, 6 mg CBD)

Availability budmail.biz

The buzz My chest is warming up and I’m pretty sure my conversational abilities are either disintegrating or enhancing. Only time will tell.

CannaLove lemonades

Sludgy beige isn’t the most visually stimulating hue, but CannaLove’s Lavender Lemonade (spiked with Phoenix Tears, the Bentley of cannabis oils) is exactly what I want to slug back in a claw-foot tubful of exotic and familiar blossoms, like I’m some kind of public figure on Instagram.

CannaLove’s Spicy Lemonade (made with pungent flavored honey oil and flecked with cayenne) is less great than the lavender flavor (is this what Mindy Kaling’s sweaty Office cleanse really tasted like?), but I do appreciate its resiny finish.

Price $10 per 4-ounce bottle (100 mg THC)

Availability
See Cannabucha Ginger.

The buzz Scheming about the 14 dumplings I plan to scarf on the way home.

On a final note Overall, cannabis-infused beverages are grand. But as with any ingestible, learn your dose. Infused liquids take about 15 to 20 minutes to hit, so they’re way less mystifying than munching on baked goods and entering another dimension an hour later. Also, a special thanks to Lisa Campbell, cannabis consultant with Mobile Revolutions and co-organizer of Green Market Toronto, for arranging this tasting.

Infused_Drinks_-_Samuel_Engelking.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cannabis-infused drinks poised to be the next big thing - NOW Magazine
Author: Sarah Parniak
Photo Credit: Samuel Engelking

Back
Top Bottom