No Guns: Ohio's Medical Marijuana Users Won't Be Able To Have Firearms

Ron Strider

People who register with the state of Ohio to legally use medical marijuana will be prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law, according to guidance released by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

In an open letter to federally licensed firearms dealers, the ATF advised in 2011 that marijuana is still a Schedule I controlled substance under federal law so any use of the drug is unlawful, and gun dealers are prohibited from providing guns or ammo to anyone they have cause to believe uses pot.

"There are no exceptions in federal law for marijuana purportedly used for medicinal purposes, even if such is sanctioned by state law," the memo says.

The law applies to more than just buying guns. The ATF letter says marijuana users are prohibited from "shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition."

Anyone applying to purchase a gun from a licensed dealer must sign a form attesting he or she is not "an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance."

"Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside," the form notes.

Lying on the form is a felony under federal law, punishable with up to 10 years in prison.

"There is definitely a conflict between the state laws and the federal laws," said Joe Eaton, southwest Ohio spokesman for the Buckeye Firearms Association.

It's not clear how to reconcile that conflict, he said, "We are confused as everyone else at this point."

When Ohio's medical marijuana program becomes operational in September 2018, Ohioans will be able to register to use cannabis if they have a recommendation from a physician saying they have one of 21 qualifying conditions.

Industry analysts have estimated as many of 24 percent of the state's population — or about 2.8 million Ohioans — have a qualifying condition.

The conflict between federal firearms laws and state cannabis laws has flared up on other states.

In Hawaii, Honolulu police last month told residents who had medical marijuana cards they have 30 days to turn in their firearms to authorities, according to reports in the Honolulu Star Advertiser.

The Associated Press reports that a federal circuit court of appeals ruling on a case out of Nevada found that the federal ban on the sale of guns to medical marijuana users doesn't violate the Second Amendment.

Leaves_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana users in Ohio can't own or possess guns
Author: Josh Sweigart
Contact: https://myaccount.daytondailynews.com/Feedback.aspx
Photo Credit: Getty_Images
Website: Dayton Daily News | Latest news for Dayton & Miami Valley

Ya no problem take our guns,blame pot for your shitbag asses trying to enable marshal law on the low. It's bullshit mean while all your drunk politician cohorts can get drunk and sexually assault women etc act like complete assholes but ya pots the problem all you government people are just douches.

I think that I will stay in the closet.
I am just not seeing any benefit to registering with the
state that I am a schedule one drug user. None whatsoever.

I feel the same way. Sitting back and watching the licensing being doled out with caution. When the paients start using and dispensaries start opening up should be interesting from the sidelines.

wash state has this law as well. With us being in legal land I let my MMJ card expire..no need for it really. Wonder why the NRA isn't hollering about this?

Good news! I'm sick of stoned people with guns, they are crazy! Thank god I can get drunk and have guns. Good luck Merica. Love from NZ.

The day someone shows me the existence of a right outsides ones own belief in a fallacy propagated through society by those wielding the might of governance.

Yes child, it is your right to do as I tell you you may or accept the consequences of your discretion against me.

Back
Top Bottom