New Zealand: Joseph Parker's Co-Promoter Bob Arum - Cannabis Is Good For You

Ron Strider

Joseph Parker's co-promoter Bob Arum has credited cannabis for his longevity as he gets set for his 86th birthday and 50 years in the boxing game.

The affable American fronts promotional giant Top Rank and has worked with the sport's biggest names from Muhammad Ali to Manny Pacquiao.

Arum has a deal with Parker's Kiwi promoters Duco Events to help push his cause in the United States and beyond. He has been an invaluable sounding board for Kiwis David Higgins and Dean Lonergan as they have nurtured two world champions in WBO heavyweight star Parker and WBO welterweight belt hold Jeff Horn of Australia.

Arum fronted CBS Sports to discuss his time in boxing and didn't shrink from his liking for marijuana and his pleasure in seeing American law reforms in this area.

The question is, if they gave me a Wada [World Anti-Doping Agency] test, would I pass it?" Arum smiled.

"I don't take performance-enhancing drugs, I mean, but I come from Nevada. So it's legal now and I have a puff every now and then. I plead guilty to that. Other than that, I keep my body in pretty good shape.

"I started [using marijuana] in 1966. Kids, young kids shouldn't do it because your brain is being formulated. But in 1966, I was in my 30s and I started.

"I don't do it at work, I do it for recreation. It's good for you, it's good for you. Cannabis is good for you!

"It's these damn people during the Nixon administration that really put cannabis into the position where it was a drug like heroin and cocaine and that was wrong. Now I think people in states like Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and soon California, people will be able to go into places and buy it legally like I do in Nevada."

Arum played a villain in the 1975 film The Marijuana Affair set in Jamaica.

"It was the worst movie ever made. If you haven't seen it, you're not missing anything," he laughed.

Boxing_Star_Joseph_Parker_and_Bob_Arum_-_Stuff.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Joseph Parker's co-promoter Bob Arum: Cannabis is good for you | Stuff.co.nz
Photo Credit: Stuff

Back
Top Bottom