Anderson Cooper Defends Anchor's Marijuana Joint On CNN NYE

Ron Strider

Stopping by Stephen Colbert's Late Show on Tuesday, CNN's Anderson Cooper responded to the controversy surrounding the network airing a segment on New Year's Eve in which reporter Randi Kaye, in Colorado, was shown holding a lit marijuana joint.

"First of all, it's legal in Colorado. We are grown adults and she did not smoke obviously," Cooper said of Kaye's broadcast. "The whole thing surprised me as much as anyone else."

Colbert then jokingly asked whether the CNN anchor finds the quick legalization spread surprising, to which Cooper joked, "Not really. Think about California. I mean it makes sense." Cooper then joked that it would be more shocking if pot were legal in South Carolina, Colbert's home state, to which the Late Show host retorted that it might be for medicinal reasons. "I got some glaucoma coming on hard, on vacation, just for Christmas vacation."

Cooper also talked about the freezing temperatures he and his New Year's Eve co-host Andy Cohen had to endure. Cooper revealed that he spent $2,900 on electrically heated clothing for the both of them. The anchor then explained that the clothing came equipped with multiple battery packs, with ones positioned in the socks, vest, long underwear, gloves and hats.

"They sold me the Ferrari of warming gloves, they said," Cooper joked of his purchase. Colbert then proceeded to quip that the host wasn't donning a coat but rather "wearing an environment."

Although working on the holiday, Cooper said that he attempted to take a moment for himself and caught a screening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, only to walk out after watching for only 45 minutes. "I got a lot going on. I had a lot of work to do," Cooper said, further explaining that he had "too much" in his head and wants to re-watch the film when able to give the appropriate attention.

"It's like when you're making love to someone and, in the middle, you're like, 'You know what, I'm not giving this my all,'" Colbert joked of Cooper's argument.

The CNN anchor also revealed that he turned Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson onto his gym.

"My gym cred has skyrocketed, because people at my gym know I got the Rock to come to the gym," Cooper proudly said, after recalling mentioning his gym to the actor, who was failing to find a New York gym to his liking. "If the Rock is there, isn't it his gym?" Colbert teasingly asked Cooper, only for the CNN anchor to agree.

Smoking_-_DARRYL_DYCK.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Anderson Cooper Defends Anchor's Marijuana Joint on CNN NYE | Hollywood Reporter
Author: Lexy Perez
Photo Credit: DARRYL DYCK

Back
Top Bottom