Thread: Trump Administration Sends Canadian Cannabis Stocks Plunging

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Trump Administration Sends Canadian Cannabis Stocks Plunging

Shares of Canadian cannabis companies were in free fall on the stock markets Thursday, after news that the Trump administration may allow crackdowns on marijuana in states where it has been legalized.

According to a report from the Associated Press, U.S. Attorney-General Jeff Sessions is rescinding an Obama-era policy that instructed prosecutors not to pursue federal marijuana charges in states where the herb has been legalized.

From now on, AP reports, it will be up to individual prosecutors to determine whether to pursue charges in states where weed is legal.

Canadian marijuana companies, many of which are eyeing expansion to legal U.S. markets, saw steep stock price drops in the wake of the news.

Canopy Growth, which bills itself as the world's largest legal marijuana producer and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol WEED, saw its stock price fall some 16 per cent as of 11 a.m. ET Thursday.

Shares in MedReleaf Corp. fell by more than 20 per cent, while THC Biomed fell nearly 25 per cent as of 11 a.m. ET.

The Trump administration's decision could sow confusion about the legal status of marijuana in states where voters have called for it to be legal.

Following ballot initiatives in last year's elections, a fifth of U.S. citizens, living in eight states and the District of Columbia, have voted to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes.

Sessions' decision comes days after recreational marijuana became legal in California, the largest jurisdiction yet to legalize the herb.

California expects to see US$1 billion in annual tax revenue from cannabis in the coming years.

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
    Full Article: Trump Administration Sends Canadian Cannabis Stocks Plunging
    Author: Daniel Tencer
    Photo Credit: Shawn Thewpool
    dr.h00k liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trump Administration Sends Canadian Cannabis Stocks Plunging

Oh my....good chance to sneak on and buy and watch it creep back up.. ...it will creep back up, right?
    dj1714, dr.h00k liked this post

CRITICAL KUSH-COCO-LED - REMO NUTES
    https://www.420magazine.com/forums/j...coco-coir.html

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why that affects Canadian Stocks, as not like they can sell down here legally at this time anyway.
    dr.h00k liked this post

Anti Journal Journal
    Monks Black Columbian OG and Blueberry Hashplant Journal
    D Monks Ongoing Mixed CKS LED Soil Journal - Finished
    Purple Kush Journal- Finished
    Dairy Queen and Lilac Jack Journal- Finished
    Dwight's plant and bud pic thread

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait until three more years.
    dr.h00k liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwAggNiFiCeNt View Post
    Oh my....good chance to sneak on and buy and watch it creep back up.. ...it will creep back up, right?
    They all bounced up after an hour (not all the way though). I was slow on the trigger & missed a buy. I blame my meds.

The reality is that they are all over-valued & speculative stocks at this point so buyer beware.

Ian
    Icemud thanked you for this post
    Icemud, dr.h00k liked this post

420 Magazine®
    Creating Cannabis Awareness Since 1993

New 420 Member Start Links
    Legalization in Canada – Bill C-45 – The Latest News
    Please support our sponsors
    -----
    Journal in Progress:
    Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! - 420 Magazine Sponsor Grow & Review – Indoor UDWC LED

"I never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police." - Keith Richards.

Member & Nug of the Month July 2012 Member of the Month June 2014 Icemud's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Monk View Post
    Not sure why that affects Canadian Stocks, as not like they can sell down here legally at this time anyway.
    There is a lot of Canadian based capital invested in the US cannabis industry....
    dr.h00k liked this post

.........Icemud's Grow Journals.........

Member & Nug of the Month July 2012 Member of the Month June 2014 Icemud's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dj1714 View Post
    Can't wait until three more years.
    Why?

The blue party had 8 years to actively remove cannabis from the CSA and they didn't.... the cole memo did nothing and was only a psudo safety blanket to comfort the worries of the business but offered no real protection...what happened yesterday with AG Sessions is a blessing in disguise because it might actually force these legislators off there behinds and get them to actually pass real legislation.

the real protection is the Rohrbacker-blumenthal amendment which is bi-partison.
    Spitz, Beleaf, dr.h00k liked this post

.........Icemud's Grow Journals.........

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed Icemud...a part of me actually thinks this is all planned and a calculated move to vilify 1 man and give 100 senators a chance to save face. I’d like to think politics is bigger than that. I fear I’m wrong.
    SwAggNiFiCeNt, Icemud thanked you for this post
    SwAggNiFiCeNt, Beleaf, dr.h00k, Icemud liked this post

420 Member of the Month October 2010 & September 2017 TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is that Mr. Bankruptcy's tough face, or is he just trying really hard to poop? I hope you'll forgive my confusion, but I can clearly see one of his chief butt-wipers sitting beside him, so...
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul