Firefighters were seeing green yesterday after fires broke out at two
separate marijuana growing operations in the city's west end.

Neighbours called 911 at 6:39 a.m. to report a fire at 118 Doane St. Fire
crews arrived to find a small blaze in the roof, but had difficulty reaching
the source of the fire due to the attic's insulation, said Capt. Barry
Nicholls.

The cause of the fire was an overloaded electrical system.

Ottawa police confirmed that they were investigating a marijuana growing
operation at the residence yesterday.

A man who was in the residence when firefighters arrived was not injured. It
is unknown whether he lived at the house.

Crews were again called out around 2:30 p.m. when a neighbour saw smoke
seeping out of 27 Bramble Wood Cres. in Kanata.

Firefighters located the cause of the fire in the basement -- faulty
electrical wiring consistent with the production of marijuana plants. Due to
the hazards posed by the electrical equipment, crews vacated the house and
fought the fire from outside until the hydro was shut off, said Capt. Brian
Truelove.

The house was empty at the time; however, neighbours said an Asian woman is
occasionally seen at the residence.

"There's no arrests and the investigation is ongoing," said Ottawa police
Staff Sgt. Monique Ackland. "There was a large number of plants at both
places."

"It doesn't bother me, I'm just glad my house didn't catch on fire," said
resident Ken Graham.


Pubdate: Thursday, July 17, 2003
Source: Ottawa Sun (CN ON)
Contact: oped@ott.sunpub.com
Website: http://www.fyiottawa.com/ottsun.shtml
Author: Laura Czekaj