Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adult

Herb Fellow

Act to Remove Federal Penalties for the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults (Introduced in House)

HR 5843 IH
110th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. R. 5843

To eliminate most Federal penalties for possession of marijuana for personal use, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 17, 2008

Mr. FRANK of Massachusetts (for himself and Mr. PAUL) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL

To eliminate most Federal penalties for possession of marijuana for personal use, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Act to Remove Federal Penalties for the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults'.

SEC. 2. ELIMINATION OF CERTAIN MARIJUANA-RELATED PENALTIES.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no penalty may be imposed under an Act of Congress for the possession of marijuana for personal use, or for the not-for-profit transfer between adults of marijuana for personal use. For the purposes of this section, possession of 100 grams or less of marijuana shall be presumed to be for personal use, as shall the not-for-profit transfer of one ounce or less of marijuana, except that the civil penalty provided in section 405 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 844a) may be imposed for the public use of marijuana if the amount of the penalty does not exceed $100.

Source: Library of Congress
Copyright: 2008, Congress

Re: Act to Remove Federal Penalties for the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible

I would like to see a major announcement on the site here with a link to NORML so people can get letters sent to show support for this bill to thier reps. We really should be pushing this hard.

Re: Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adul

I will support that bill, with open arms!!! I will even contact my local NORML rep. to see if we can get a support group going here in my state! I've said it before, and I will say it again and again...UNIFICATION IS THE KEY!!! POWER IN NUMBERS IS WHAT WE NEED!!! FREE THE WEED NOW!!! just go out and chant that shit people!!! At the top of your lungs to so they have to hear it!!!

Re: Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adul

Listen to that good preaching coming from the Bible Belt.

A friend sent me this...how his congressman responded:

Thank you for contacting me regarding national drug policy. I appreciate you taking the time to contact my office regarding this issue.
One problem contributing to our nation's illicit drug problem is the belief by some that we could benefit by the legalization of drugs. Now is the time to redouble our efforts to win the drug war-not to surrender. I believe that the legalization of marijuana would be a moral compromise that would undercut our nation's fight against substance abuse.

I am concerned about the legalization of marijuana for several reasons. For one, legalization would likely result in increased abuse of all varieties of drugs, including alcohol. This perspective is animated by my belief that marijuana is often a gateway drug to more addictive, destructive and sometimes lethal drugs. As noted by the American Council for Drug Education, "The Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at ColumbiaUniversity found adolescents who smoke pot 85 times more likely to use cocaine than their non-pot smoking peers. And 60 percent of youngsters who use marijuana before they turn 15 later go on to use cocaine."

Furthermore, the bulk of our law enforcement community insists that legalization will increase crime and hamper their efforts to prevent the spread of all types of illicit drugs into our communities.

The damaging effects directly related to the use of marijuana are very real and include frequent respiratory infections, impaired memory and learning, increased heart rate, anxiety and panic attacks. The sheer use of this drug is alarming and only reiterates the need for media campaigns that accurately present the hard truths about the physical, mental, and legal implications of marijuana use. A responsible government not only prohibits the use of drugs known to have high potential for abuse, but educates its citizens about such substances. Such advertisements and strict policies effectively portray the severity of the drug crisis that exists today.

Additionally, parental and family efforts in discouraging the use of marijuana are essential. Moms and dads, siblings, trusted friends and religious leaders should come alongside at-risk youth and explain to them that marijuana is neither benign nor a productive means of addressing whatever issues troubling young people.

I appreciate hearing from you regarding this topic. For more information and updates on my work in Congress, please visit my website, Bill Sali. It is an honor to serve as your member of Congress. Thank you again for contacting me; I hope you will continue to share your views on the important issues facing our country.

<wbr> <wbr> <wbr> Sincerely,
<wbr> <wbr> <wbr> Bill Sali
<wbr> <wbr> <wbr> Member of Congress

Well, he is obviously been a victim of brain washing tactics. "Gate way drug my ass!!!" that argument has played out. time for a new one! He wants people to think (as so many others do) that marijuana is just tearing this country apart, when it's people like him that are keeping the hate going and ripping decent family's apart...Good, hard working people, with little kids to raise, are going to jail every day to be sodomized and possibly worse! And why...because they just wanted some relief from a hard day's work. Or they can't eat because of the pain from the REAL hard drugs that the government endorses. And...They cant tell me that they don't actually put extra chemicals in prescription drugs these days that are specifically for giving you all these side effects when you take them. It's also obvious that this guy has not been updated to the vaporizer technology these days, with even better delivery systems on the way. People like that need to do their home work before they take everything they read to heart. Did you notice his stance is the same bologna they were telling us in grade school. Out dated information is so embedded into these people's brains that the only way to get them to listen to reason is to inundate them with the newest and most up-to-date information out there and force them to read it. Then make them prove their old and out dated research. Of coarse they would not do that...they have to much drug-war money to slip in their pockets. WE, are the ones that have to get these people OUT-OF-OFFICE!!! I am going to say it once again. We have to band together people! UNIFICATION IS THE KEY!!! All these top marijuana organizations are going to HAVE to team up and stop working against each other and find some common ground. Also people like us need to join in with them and help spread the word that we are getting tired of being treated like slaves of society. They can side step a couple of people with a crappy letter but,...thousands, or even millions???!!! Not a chance!!! My name is Jimbo E, and I'm down for another revolution!!!

The best thing to do would be to hit each of those points with a link to a study to back our side, and dare him to read it. Point by point. If he still resists, reply to the effect that no representative of our government is more beholden to pharmaceutical companies then they are to the people they represent. Since he seems to have forgotten this, we will be listing all corporate contributions, and send them to your opponents and voters in the upcoming election. Then, tell him goodbye, because he will be voted out in the next election. I did this to a very prominent Senator from PA, he is no longer in office, ANYWHERE.

All contributions are public record and on the internet in most cases, so it just takes some time. Once you have proof where there money comes from, they cannot defend against it. In this exact moment in U.S. history, no voters will stand with poloticians that take PAC money from oil or big drug.

Here is his overall cash donations, you have to research the top one and see who those people work for.

WILLIAM T. SALI (R-ID)
Top Industries
The top industries supporting William T. Sali are:
1 Leadership PACs $37,861
2 Oil & Gas $12,500
3 Electric Utilities $10,500
4 Crop Production & Basic Processing $9,500
5 General Contractors $9,000
6 Commercial Banks $8,900
7 Lawyers/Law Firms $8,250
8 Insurance $6,500
8 Health Professionals $6,500
10 Gun Rights $5,950
11 Misc Finance $5,750
12 Republican/Conservative $5,000
12 Beer, Wine & Liquor $5,000
14 Mining $4,250
15 Railroads $4,133
16 Accountants $4,000
17 Agricultural Services/Products $3,963
18 Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,500
18 Telecom Services & Equipment $3,500
20 TV/Movies/Music $3,250

Total
$225,009

Who Loves Bill Sali
Idaho Congressman Bill Sali reported his 1st quarter campaign finances on April 15, with total contributions for the quarter of $107,664, bringing his election cycle total to $427,874. He also reported having $124,192 cash on hand and still over $144,000 in campaign debt and obligations.

Where did Sali get his money this quarter? Of the $107,644 brought in, $61,523 came from political action committees. The table below lists the top PACs for this quarter.

Most need no explanation, however BAE Systems is a government defense contractor delivering the military's Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles. Sali made a tour of the MRAP vehicles last year.

PACs with total contributions over $5,000 this quarter Name Quarter Cycle
Washington Group Int'l PAC $2,000 $12,000
American Bankers Assn PAC $1,750 $10,650
National Rifle Association PAC $1,000 $6,950
BAE Systems PAC $6,000 $6,000
Directv PAC $5,500 $5,500
US-Cuba Democracy PAC $2,500 $5,500
American Crystal Sugar PAC $2,000 $5,000

The next table lists some of the more interesting industry PACs contributing to Sali this quarter: an oil company, a tobacco company, the nuclear industry and Dick Cheney's old company, Halliburton.

Interesting industry PACs Name Quarter Cycle
ExxonMobil Corporation PAC $2,000 $4,000
General Atomics PAC $1,000 $4,000
R.J. Reynolds PAC $1,000 $3,000
Fluor Corporation PAC $1,000 $3,000
Halliburton Company PAC $1,000 $2,000

The final table lists individuals whose total contributions for the election cycle exceeded $1,000 with their contributions this quarter. The total from individual contributors for the quarter was $46,140.

Notables are that Kortney Parkin's contributions are "in-kind," apparently having done some campaign accounting work and Don Gillispie is the CEO of Alternate Energy Holdings which is hoping to build a nuclear power facility somewhere in Idaho.

Individuals with election cycle contributions over $1,000 this quarter Name Quarter Cycle
Kortney Parkin, Boise, ID $900 $2,400
John Childs, Boston, MA $2,300 $2,300
Don Gillispie, Eagle, ID $2,300 $2,300
Jeff Yass, Bala Cynwyd, PA $2,300 $2,300
Steve Symms, Washington, DC $1,000 $1,500
Curtis Bowers, Meridian, ID $20 $1,020

The best thing to do would be to hit each of those points with a link to a study to back our side, and dare him to read it. Point by point. If he still resists, reply to the effect that no representative of our government is more beholden to pharmaceutical companies then they are to the people they represent. Since he seems to have forgotten this, we will be listing all corporate contributions, and send them to your opponents and voters in the upcoming election. Then, tell him goodbye, because he will be voted out in the next election. I did this to a very prominent Senator from PA, he is no longer in office, ANYWHERE.

All contributions are public record and on the internet in most cases, so it just takes some time. Once you have proof where there money comes from, they cannot defend against it. In this exact moment in U.S. history, no voters will stand with poloticians that take PAC money from oil or big drug.

Good advice, BOSS-MAN!!!

Yeah - one of his contributors is the National Beer and Wine Wholesalers - no big surprise, except that this guy is a conservative Christian, head in the sand sort of guy.

Beer, oil, and tobacco industry contributors. Do I detect a conflict of interest in regard to the question of legalization of Cannabis?

Ok here is your drug connection: See the name at the bottom, he works for a lobby group now, and used to be the senator before this guy.

Steven Douglas Symms (born April 23, 1938 in Nampa, Idaho) was a four-term congressman (1973–81) and two-term U.S. senator (1981–93) from Idaho. He was among the most conservative members of the Republican Party. He is currently a partner at Parry, Romani, DeConcini & Symms, a lobbying firm in Washington, D.C.

This contributor works for this firm that represents this drug company and many others.

This was a 5 minute search on this guy, I know you could find 10 more drug connections.

One flyer that says "XXXX" was paid XXXX dollars by XXX Big Drug, and you think he cares whats best for patients? Then list the proof, and hand them out all over town, then the guy is finished.

Ok...you guys see how resourceful Boss is? Natural born research administrator!!! That's how shit gets done!!! You go Boss!!! WooHoo!!!:clap::adore:
Ponder this...How many are there here @ 420mag? 1276 and growing every day...now...how many are their at every other canna site? ###??? then you add every member of every marijuana activist group out there....now we are talking serious numbers!!! Throw in every smoker that is not affiliated with anything, mix them all up into one collective group and...well...you do the math...ONE UNIFIED VOICE!!! Y'all see what I've been saying???!!! It would be a monumental task but, it's do-able. It will take everyone reading from the same page for it to work though. How can we get the ball rolling on this idea? That's my only Q. Where do you start with something like that?

Back
Top Bottom