Police Nab 8-Foot Gator on Marijuana Raid

Herb Fellow

An 8-foot alligator and more than 150 marijuana plants were among the spoils when police raided a Roseville man's home. A multi-jurisdictional investigation targeting marijuana growers in southeast Michigan, which started with Shelby Township police, has resulted in the arrests of several people and the confiscation of more than 500 pot plants in various stages of growth, said Special Agent John Arvabutis of the Detroit Drug Enforcement Agency office.

Arvabutis said a single organization may be responsible for the marijuana growing. He refused to elaborate whether police arrested a ringleader. "We conducted numerous search warrants throughout the region against the organization and its members in an attempt to disrupt and dismantle their activities," said Arvabutis.

Roseville police culminated a separate, unrelated investigation with the arrest of a 39-year-old Roseville man at his house in the 17000 block of O'Neil Street. That's where they found the alligator and marijuana plants. Roseville officers also raided a home Monday in the area of 10 Mile Road and Lawn Street where they confiscated 70 marijuana plants.

Roseville police charged Marcus Wellington Maier with manufacturing marijuana, a 4-year felony and maintaining a drug house, a 2-year misdemeanor. Identical charges are pending against a 47-year-old man. Maier was not at home when police raided his house. He is being held in Macomb County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bond after his arraignment in 39th District Court on Monday.

Roseville police confiscated 150 indoor hydroponic marijuana plants in various stages of growth. They also found the alligator in Maier's home, according to Deputy Police Chief James Berlin. Roseville City Manager Steve Truman said exotic animals are prohibited by city ordinance. He said reptiles such as this alligator can be confiscated by police.

"Before going into the house, our officers knew it was in there," Truman said. The alligator was turned over to the Macomb County Animal Shelter, which will give the animal to a herpetologist, according to Sue Jeroue, chief animal control officer for the county. The alligator will either stay with the herpetologist for his classes on reptiles and amphibians or be sent to a sanctuary in southern Florida, Jeroue said.

Berlin said Roseville officers seized numerous grow lights, planting beds and other items associated with the manufacturing of marijuana grown indoors. Police also seized automobiles associated with the operation, cash, firearms and other assets from the sale of illegal narcotics.

"The investigation is continuing," Berlin said. "We expect more arrests." "Operation Weed Whacker" was led by agents from the Detroit Drug Enforcement Agency and Shelby Township police. Several individuals were arrested with the help of police in Roseville, Shelby Township, Eastpointe, Fraser, Hazel Park, Ferndale and Dearborn.Shelby Township police Chief Robert Lehman said his drug officers were working on tips regarding residents growing marijuana in their basements. He said the information was shared with the DEA because the local investigation started growing in size.

"We had valid information to execute a search warrant on a home in Shelby Township and it got pretty widespread," Lehman said. Arvabutis said he didn't know exactly how much marijuana was seized because police are still taking an inventory. He said all of the marijuana discovered was brought to the police stations in the jurisdiction where it was found.

Source: Macomb Daily
Copyright: 2005, The Macomb Daily
Website: Macomb Daily : Police nab 8-foot gator on marijuana raid 05/21/08

mark is getting a bad rap for keeping an alligator. he has had dexter for 15 years . dexter is very well taken care of...he is not "feisty" how can they take his pet before they even prove him guilty? is'nt he inocent until proven guilty. dexter was not guarding a dope house...its just mark's pet

Mark thanks everyone for thinking of him at this time...he cant respond they took his computers..he is touched that people are thinking of him at this time..his main concern is his pet that he has for 20 years dexter:ganjamon:

i have posted all the corrections to the newspaper hype on my myspace blog 29bellsfornov11101975

NEVER BELIEVE WHAT YOU HEAR ON THE NEWS

let set the record straight. mark has been my freind since 1984.

he runs nor does he live's in a drug house.

yes he had a 6 foot gater not a 8 foot guard gator. "dexter" since 1990. 20 years for those of you that can't subtract

he was cooking dinner when they raided his house.

dexter bit no one nor went after any cops. mark got hold of dexter before the cops went downstairs.

dexter is not mean. my 12 year old has feed and cleaned dexters cages before. mark has fell asleep with his gator. dexter is not pinned up the basement guarding dope. dexter has the run of the whole basement even a couch to chill on and tv. and a huge pond that is kept very clean. he was not chained to a door leading to drugs. mark has him for 20 years. mark just likes werid pets

there was no guns or cash

theres was not 150 plants there was 75 1 inch plants that mark use's for his own personnal use instead of buying on the streets.

so no more then a flat of flowers

THE NEWS BLEW THIS STORY UP BECAUSE OF DEXTER THE ALLIGATOR.
I HAVE PERSONNALY KNOWIN DEXTER FOR 20 YEARS AND HAVE PETTED HIM. HE AINT "FEISTY

I recommend you find out what crimes were committed that day where the people got away because they were busting down some guys door for a plant.

Even 75 plants is a hell of a lot (well, it can be) so that's gonna be hard to defend unless he is in agonizing, death bringing pain 24/7.

mark is admitting his plants were wrong...but him growing it himself. aint as bad as going to the the hood and buyinG it off a drug dealer...he keeps it in his house to himself. people need to learn how to keep their damn mouth shut:cool:

Thanks to Holly, I am able to post some pics of Dexter, the most famous Canna Croc in Australia.
I can't think of a better guard for a crop. lol
0521080836.jpg

Dexter after the cops tied him up.

0521081434.jpg

0521081434a.jpg

i know this is old news but i just found this out. hey mark i miss you man. we are moving back to mi. soon and i hope to see you samson and shadow were laid to rest in 2009 they were about 13 years old the best dogs i ever had. i knew we had a fallout but i hope we can be friends tell cathy i said hi. i remember when you had a cayman and two amercian gators they we so well taken care of. i hope to see you soon.
tony

Back
Top Bottom