Voters Say Yes on B: Marijuana Reform Approved

PFlynn

Ukiah, CA - After six months of forums, discussions, political mailers and vigorous, and sometimes vociferous, debate, Mendocino County voters finally had the opportunity to say their piece on the future of the county's marijuana policy.

With 100 percent of the precincts reporting at 12:35 a.m. Wednesday, Measure B was winning 52.15 percent to 47.85 percent. The Elections Office recorded a 34.94 percent turnout for the election and counted 16,436 ballots.

Provisional ballots remain to be counted.

"We're very confident that we're going to win," Ross Liberty, spokesman for the Yes on B Coalition, said earlier in the evening.

Measure B repeals Measure G, the county's personal use marijuana law, and sets medical marijuana possession limits in Mendocino County at the state limits of six mature or 12 immature plants and eight ounces of dried marijuana.

Measure G was passed by county voters in 2000 and instructed law enforcement to make the prosecution of possession of 25 marijuana plants or fewer the lowest possible priority.

No on B campaign spokeswoman Laura Hamburg said early in the evening that she was optimistic and excited about the results despite the fact that initial reports showed Measure B passing by a margin of more than 10 percent of the vote.

"The early results are always brutal," she said. "It's the most conservative group."

While the measure appeared to be passing from the earliest returns, Liberty said he was disappointed with the margin. Liberty said a poll conducted before Measure B was put on the ballot showed it passing with 65 percent of the vote.

"That's my personal belief of where we were before we started," he said.

Liberty said even if Measure B ended up passing by a narrow margin, he would still be happy with the victory.

"It's important to win," he said.

"We will all have done a great disservice to this county if we lose," Liberty said.

As the evening wore on, Yes on B maintained its almost 11 percent lead, though it eventually narrowed to around 5 percent.

Hamburg said no matter what the results of the election were, it would be counted as a victory by No on B because the campaign had created a dialogue about marijuana in Mendocino County.

"What happens tonight is just one slice of it," she said.

Liberty acknowledged that the fight over Measure B had been a divisive campaign and that a dialogue between the groups would be good.

"We have more common ground than we tended to acknowledge during the campaign," he said.

Hamburg said representatives of both campaigns as well as public health and other county entities would be meeting soon to discuss what can be done to deal with the crime and environmental degradation that often surrounds illegal marijuana grows.

"The whole county says no to that," she said.

All results from election night are unofficial. The definitive results will not be released until a canvas of the votes is completed, which could take up to 28 days.

News Hawk: PFlynn - 420 Magazine
Source: Ukiah Daily Journal (CA)
Copyright: 2008 Ukiah Daily Journal
Website: Voters say 'yes' on B: Marijuana reform measure approved - Ukiah Daily Journal

Color me stupid but how is reducing the amount of pot you can have count as reform?This may seem like a dumb question but how does this make anyones life better?This just eliminates the chance of a group having their stuff grown at a single location .This could be necessary for any number of reasons,but!you want to call it reform it's your baby.I just think you're fighting the wrong fight at the wrong time.Going backwards is not reform where I come from.From what I read it sounded like a nimby bill.:clap::cheesygrinsmiley::rollit::peace::yummy:

Why are most of these forums, debates, etc. held in C.A. ? what about the other people? Why can't we have more action around the entire U.S. instead of just C.A. and maybe Portland, Oregon. I feel left out and lonely b/c of this. I'm just a southern girl tryin to make a statement.

Check out the motivator of the day! Thanks! I have to say that I'm afraid to have a voice down here in the south. The police can be brutal. But as an American I have the right to free speech. So you are right. Thanks so much:smokin:

We often forget how lucky we are in places with medical marijuana laws and enlightened(to a degree)police.There are still people being beaten down and sent to prison for long sentences so let's count our blessings.I still think this bill was a backward step and disagree that it was a victory for the legalization movement.Quite the opposite.Then again,opinions are like assholes,everybody's got one.

Being born and raised in Southern California, I can tell you a few things, but you may not wanna hear it.

California is home to THE most forward thinking people in the world when it comes to modern society. California has it troubles, but generally speaking, many Californians are born and raised to see each other as people, and that puts an end to many of the prejudices that cannot be overcome in order to come to a resolution on any particular topic.

It seems to me, because of the muti-cultural, multi-racial demographics in the state, California is that much further along than the rest of the country. They have partially overcome many of the roadblocks that stop progress in a modern society.

They have a long way to go, just like this whole nation, but history has shown what can be done when you are just that much further ahead of the curve.

Hey, we Surf.. Need I say more? :)

so you folks who don't like the limits have you petitoned state courts for due process in limiting the pills a pharmacy can give out to six at a time so ukiah county doesn't break equal protection and due process by limiting MMJ but
not big pharma pills if you limit one medication shouldn't that apply to all
equally

Being born and raised in Southern California, I can tell you a few things, but you may not wanna hear it.

California is home to THE most forward thinking people in the world when it comes to modern society. California has it troubles, but generally speaking, many Californians are born and raised to see each other as people, and that puts an end to many of the prejudices that cannot be overcome in order to come to a resolution on any particular topic.

It seems to me, because of the muti-cultural, multi-racial demographics in the state, California is that much further along than the rest of the country. They have partially overcome many of the roadblocks that stop progress in a modern society.

They have a long way to go, just like this whole nation, but history has shown what can be done when you are just that much further ahead of the curve.

Hey, we Surf.. Need I say more? :)

Nah!I have family in soucal.

I was born and raised in California, and have lived in 9 states. The only state that comes close is Alaska. As for the rest of the world, I can't say. There is certainly a tradeoff seeing that many european countries have a tax rate near 50%.

But if you ask people around the world where the ideas for reform came, especially with Cannabis, it was hippie California.

You need to travel because Calif. has become restricted dude. In my day under an oz. was legal Jimmy Carter. Aslo go to Amsterdam and see the freedom of free thinking people. Canada too. More free than America, trust me, I've been. So, you may not want to hear that either but my home town is San Diego and people even try to close Black's beach but can't...lol Free thinkers, LOL Not Calif. but I will give you this, a few in Calif. are left as free thinkers, most just follow each other over a cliff or don't even want to bother fighting. We had protests when I was a little boy. We stood up and fought.
Free thinker, yeah, maybe when it comes to a bathroom break should I in doors or out doors?:grinjoint: LOL

I just found out that we have 1500 people in the whole country that have the marijuana exemption and permission to grow.!500 in the whole f'n country.This is not medical marijuana.This is a joke.:thedoubletake::peace::cheesygrinsmiley:I am talking about Canada.

Well Duh, The Hippie movement was the right way till drug abuse. Peace & Love was everywhere and it's better than war.
Now as for your comment on Tax Rate at 50% why do you think? Because they have FREE MEDICAL CARE, FREE PRESCRIPTIONS, THEY PAY NO OUT OF POCKET FOR THAT STUFF.
This is why I mentioned you should travel more. I'm born in Spain, under USA flag, my hometown as a kid was So. Calif. I've been to Europe, Canada (all over) Mexico (all Over) and traveled in a show for two years all over the USA every main city.
That's when your eyes really open to a real world and I'd rather pay more tax for free medical care and prescriptions and own my own big home with free college studies.
We should have Peace & Love and free insurance and pay high tax. Yeehaw!!! LOL
As a Canadian citisen I can tell you that I wouldn't be alive if I lived in the US.My health has declined recently and if I'd had to pay to get care I would be a corpse.However,I am not one of the only 1500 people in this country that can possess marijuana for the severe pain.There are pros and cons to every system.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom