TTC Union Calls Marijuana Report 'Slander'

Herb Fellow

The leader of the TTC's largest union lashed out at the transit agency yesterday, calling allegations that a maintenance worker killed in a subway accident had used marijuana an "outrageous slander" and an attempt to shift blame for the accident.

A senior TTC official told The Globe and Mail on the condition of anonymity that an unreleased report on the April, 2007, fatal crash of a subway work car will reveal that the driver was high on marijuana - information that has added to calls for drug and alcohol testing after an unrelated incident this week in which a bus driver was charged with drunk driving.

The TTC has already pleaded guilty to Ministry of Labour charges in the subway accident case and has been hit with $250,000 in fines.

In a written statement yesterday, Bob Kinnear, president of Local 113 of the Amalgamated Transit Union, called the leak of the report's contents "shameful" and warned it would poison labour relations. He said there was no evidence the dead worker, 38-year-old Tony Almeida, was responsible for the accident, since he was driving the work car - carrying equipment used to remove asbestos - at normal speed and had been given clearance to proceed.

Mr. Kinnear condemned the claim that Mr. Almeida was impaired at the time of the crash as "speculative," on the grounds that marijuana can be detected in the bloodstream even weeks after use. "On behalf of Tony's widow and children, we condemn in the strongest possible terms the TTC's outrageous slander against a man who is not alive to defend himself," Mr. Kinnear said, going on to accuse the TTC of trying to "taint his name and burden his children with a public image of their father as someone who caused his own death through the use of marijuana." But Mr. Kinnear's statement yesterday appeared to back away from his previous blanket opposition to drug and alcohol testing, and he refused to comment on the issue until a proposal comes forward.

Adam Giambrone, the city councillor who chairs the TTC, would not discuss details of the police and coroner's investigations into the crash, which happened when a piece of improperly stowed equipment on a work car snagged a tunnel wall. He said the report would be released later this month in advance of a commission meeting. Mr. Giambrone said he had discussed drug and alcohol testing with Mayor David Miller, who opposed the idea for TTC employees when it last came up in 1998, and, more recently, for police officers. Mr. Giambrone said the mayor asked the TTC to take a cautious approach.

Anneli LeGault, a lawyer with Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP in Toronto, has represented employers seeking to screen employees for drugs and alcohol. She said the legal ground in Canada appears to be shifting, with recent court rulings constraining the ability of human rights tribunals to oppose drug and alcohol testing as a form of discrimination against those with addictions, which were considered disabilities in past cases.

"None of my clients think people who are addicted are disabled; they just want to make sure they are showing up safely at work," Ms. LeGault said. While testing is prevalent in riskier workplaces like mines and in Alberta's oil patch, Ms. LeGault said the practice remains much less common in Canada than in the United States, where testing for bus drivers is mandated by federal law.

Mr. Giambrone said that in Canada, only Transit Windsor, which operates a service that goes across the U.S. border, currently tests drivers.

News Moderator: Herb Fellow - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: globeandmail.com: Canada's National Newspaper
Copyright: 2008, The Globe and Mail
Website: globeandmail.com: TTC union calls marijuana report 'slander'

You know, It's funny how the only experience these people have to go on is the effect that alcohol has on people.
What I mean, is that the very people who make unjustified and uneducated statements about MJ, are the very ones who have never even tried it in the first place.
All these brain washed people have to go on, is their own experience with alcohol.
I have been smoking since the 80's, on and off the job, and it has never interfered with my performance in any way, unless you consider being more creative a cause for alarm!
I just wish these people would just do some homework before slandering a person's name in a plot to justify their own personal beliefs with no scientific facts to back it up.
We have got to find a way to change public opinion about our beloved weed.
I just wish I knew how to reprogram and re-educate people to the fact that it's not as harsh as the legal substances they ingest every day.
We, as experienced smokers, need to fight this kind of embedded mind set with every thing we've got until they are re-educated properly.
We have got to do some soul searching and put our heads together to find an avenue of approach to make them understand once and for all that MJ is not the deadly substance that people like to think it is.
We are going to have to start a campaign to get the word out on a mass scale, that through vaporization and strain research, marijuana is so much safer than alcohol, it's not even funny!!!
People, like this guy, are just going to keep using MJ as a scape goat, as long as no one stands up and makes an effort to fight unjust claims such as this!

What's even crazier is the fact that they don't want to save every one from us, but more like they want to save us from our selves.
I personally don't need to be saved from my self...I'm perfectly happy with the way I am, and weed just makes me even more happy.
I just want to enjoy life the way I see fit, with no interference from anti-anything.
The way I see it, is that, "it's MY life, and they should just piss off and butt out!!!
Marijuana doesn't kill people...people with guns kill non-violent MJ smokers for no reason, other than the fact that they are scared of what they don't know!!!

I'll say this...If they want to take me, they'll have to take me dead, because I'm prepared to fight to the death for what I believe in!!! And no "john law" will ever change that!!!
I'm just sick of people down playing MJ, as if they are experts on it when they haven't got the first clue about what they are talking about!!!

Let me give y'all an "expert" opinion on the effects of MJ in the work place... I have driven an 18 wheeler through every state in the continental US and I was high the whole way and never even had a finder bender, so you tell me how unsafe MJ is???!!! In fact, I couldn't have even been able to deal with the stress of being a truck driver without the aid of MJ in the first place!!!

You know, It's funny how the only experience these people have to go on is the effect that alcohol has on people.
What I mean, is that the very people who make unjustified and uneducated statements about MJ, are the very ones who have never even tried it in the first place.
All these brain washed people have to go on, is their own experience with alcohol.
I have been smoking since the 80's, on and off the job, and it has never interfered with my performance in any way, unless you consider being more creative a cause for alarm!
I just wish these people would just do some homework before slandering a person's name in a plot to justify their own personal beliefs with no scientific facts to back it up.
We have got to find a way to change public opinion about our beloved weed.
I just wish I knew how to reprogram and re-educate people to the fact that it's not as harsh as the legal substances they ingest every day.
We, as experienced smokers, need to fight this kind of embedded mind set with every thing we've got until they are re-educated properly.
We have got to do some soul searching and put our heads together to find an avenue of approach to make them understand once and for all that MJ is not the deadly substance that people like to think it is.
We are going to have to start a campaign to get the word out on a mass scale, that through vaporization and strain research, marijuana is so much safer than alcohol, it's not even funny!!!
People, like this guy, are just going to keep using MJ as a scape goat, as long as no one stands up and makes an effort to fight unjust claims such as this!

you said it all right there. Its true ignorance is bliss. People dont want to take responsibility so they will be ignorant and through in bogus "facts" and say "see it wasnt my fault". People were born to be ignorant idiots, we just have to teach them. Spread the word. and Let the truth be known
:clap:

I would like to pose a challenge to everyone here to help come up with a solution to our problem as to find a way to force our issue.
A few weeks ago we were involved in heated discussion on ways we could get our message out through contacting government officials and flyer's that should be printed and passed out by everyone here but it seems we have gotten complacent and have slipped into a lull on the subject.
I still think we need to contact every forum and MJ group out their and pull everyone together in a mass correlated effort to silence these ignorant minded people who have never even tried it but still want to voice strong opinions about it.
I think that we need to bring up the fact that racism was one of the main causes for pot prohibition in the first place and dare them to dispute that fact!
I tell you what really kills my soul, is the fact that they keep harping on this "sending the wrong message to the kids" but, they have no scruples what so ever about sending 17 year old kids to die in a foreign country so that they can fill their own agendas.
These kids can't even buy a beer or a pack of smokes, but they can certainly die for their country!!! There is something seriously wrong with that picture to me.
They won't even meet to have a serious debate on marijuana legalization because they know they will be proven wrong.
All they want to do is keep funding their war on people and pouring our hard earned tax dollars into the DEA task forces so the can keep our prison system full of non-violent offenders and let rapist and murders go free.
Whats wrong with this picture???!!!

Jesus...will it ever end???!!!
Maybe we need to start a pro-pot church and teach people about how they can be enlightened by MJ and that it is God made and that man is the one who is wrong in keeping one of God's greatest creations from us.
I don't know what the answer is but, I know it's down right depressing!!!

Back
Top Bottom