Study: Marijuana Potency Increases in 2007

PFlynn

Washington, DC - Marijuana potency increased last year to the highest level in more than 30 years, posing greater health risks to people who may view the drug as harmless, according to a report released Thursday by the White House.

The latest analysis from the University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project tracked the average amount of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in samples seized by law enforcement agencies from 1975 through 2007.

It found that the average amount of THC reached 9.6 percent in 2007, compared with 8.75 percent the previous year.

The 9.6 percent level represents more than a doubling of marijuana potency since 1983, when it averaged just under 4 percent.

"Today's report makes it more important than ever that we get past outdated, anachronistic views of marijuana," said John Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. He cited baby boomer parents who might have misguided notions that the drug contains the weaker potency levels of the 1970s.

"Marijuana potency has grown steeply over the past decade, with serious implications in particular for young people," Walters said. He cited the risk of psychological, cognitive and respiratory problems, and the potential for users to become dependent on drugs such as cocaine and heroin.

While the drug's potency may be rising, marijuana users generally adjust to the level of potency and smoke it accordingly, said Dr. Mitch Earleywine, who teaches psychology at the State University of New York in Albany and serves as an adviser for marijuana advocacy groups. "Stronger cannabis leads to less inhaled smoke," he said.

The White House office attributed the increases in marijuana potency to sophisticated growing techniques that drug traffickers are using at sites in the United States and Canada.

A report from the office last month found that a teenager who has been depressed in the past year was more than twice as likely to have used marijuana than teenagers who have not reported being depressed – 25 percent compared with 12 percent. The study said marijuana use increased the risk of developing mental disorders by 40 percent.

"The increases in marijuana potency are of concern since they increase the likelihood of acute toxicity, including mental impairment," said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which funded the University of Mississippi study.

"Particularly worrisome is the possibility that the more potent THC might be more effective at triggering the changes in the brain that can lead to addiction," Volkow said.

But there's no data showing that a higher potency in marijuana leads to more addiction, Earleywine said, and marijuana's withdrawal symptoms are mild at best. "Mild irritability, craving for marijuana and decreased appetite – I mean those are laughable when you talk about withdrawal from a drug. Caffeine is worse."

The project analyzed data on 62,797 cannabis samples, 1,302 hashish samples, and 468 hash oil samples obtained primarily from seizures by law enforcement agencies in 48 states since 1975.

News Hawk: PFlynn - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Associated Press (Wire)
Copyright: 2008 The Associated Press

I just smoked a bowl and I forgot where I put my heroin, must be that 40% mental disorder working again.

High Quality Cannabis has been around for thousands of years> It is only recently the quantatative amounts have increased. Mexico, Columbia, Asia for over 40 years I can recall many potent varieties from these countries.
Although the article is correct to a certain degree, the facts of the usual " Scare Tactics" are less likely to work these days, as millions of people are better informed and educated with cannabis today than were in the previous years. Beer went from a 1.8% to over 15% in certain brews. How is this not publisized along with the attribital deaths from alcohol?

Washington, DC - Marijuana potency increased last year to the highest level in more than 30 years, posing greater health risks to people who may view the drug as harmless, according to a report released Thursday by the White House.

What is the health risk with THC? Everything I've read lately is that the constituents in Cannabis are beneficial to our health. Their statement is called a "lie".

The latest analysis from the University of Mississippi's Potency Monitoring Project tracked the average amount of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in samples seized by law enforcement agencies from 1975 through 2007.

It found that the average amount of THC reached 9.6 percent in 2007, compared with 8.75 percent the previous year.

The 9.6 percent level represents more than a doubling of marijuana potency since 1983, when it averaged just under 4 percent.
They must grind up the stems, seeds, shake...whatever they can find with the buds to come up with such a low average.

"Today's report makes it more important than ever that we get past outdated, anachronistic views of marijuana," said John Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. He cited baby boomer parents who might have misguided notions that the drug contains the weaker potency levels of the 1970s.
Oh my goodness. Here they are, trying to get past the "outdated, anachronistic views of marijuana" by spreading false information. Mr. Walters, this is probably the best job you've had in your career. Your mom must be proud. It's obvious that all you're doing is trying to justify your job by spreading misinformation. The Baby Boomers are laughing out loud at you since they know all about potency. It's the pre-boomer generation you're preaching to, and they are on their way out.

"Marijuana potency has grown steeply over the past decade, with serious implications in particular for young people," Walters said. He cited the risk of psychological, cognitive and respiratory problems, and the potential for users to become dependent on drugs such as Pizza and Cheetos.
...most likely...

While the drug's potency may be rising, marijuana users generally adjust to the level of potency and smoke it accordingly, said Dr. Mitch Earleywine, who teaches psychology at the State University of New York in Albany and serves as an adviser for marijuana advocacy groups. "Stronger cannabis leads to less inhaled smoke," he said.
Spoken like someone who knows from experience...
The White House office attributed the increases in marijuana potency to sophisticated growing techniques that drug traffickers are using at sites in the United States and Canada.
Traffickers? Compassionate providers is more like it.

A report from the office last month found that a teenager who has been depressed in the past year was more than twice as likely to have used marijuana than teenagers who have not reported being depressed – 25 percent compared with 12 percent. The study said marijuana use increased the risk of developing mental disorders by 40 percent.
From the book "How to Skew the Numbers From any Random Facts to Fit Your World View" available online.

"The increases in marijuana potency are of concern since they increase the likelihood of acute toxicity, including mental impairment," said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which funded the University of Mississippi study.

"Particularly worrisome is the possibility that the more potent THC might be more effective at triggering the changes in the brain that can lead to addiction," Volkow said.
Worrisome possibilities from your particular perspective have no place in a discussion of facts.

But there's no data showing that a higher potency in marijuana leads to more addiction, Earleywine said, and marijuana's withdrawal symptoms are mild at best. "Mild irritability, craving for marijuana and decreased appetite – I mean those are laughable when you talk about withdrawal from a drug. Caffeine is worse."
Uh huh. I hate those caffeine headaches when I miss my cup for a couple of days in a row, but smoking a little Cannabis alleviates the pain.

The project analyzed data on 62,797 cannabis samples, 1,302 hashish samples, and 468 hash oil samples obtained primarily from seizures by law enforcement agencies in 48 states since 1975.
So, how did they come up with samples seized in 1975? Has this study been going that long?

News Hawk: PFlynn - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Associated Press (Wire)
Copyright: 2008 The Associated Press

A great comeback to the "Its not your grandpa's pot" statement is one word, Hash. When cannabis was consumed by our ancestors it was in it's most potent form hasish. Far greater quality and potency than what is sold on the street today, soapbar anyone? Where in history has potent marijuana(hash) ever been a problem for mankind? So next time some idiot says "doncha know that the skunk is not your grandpa's pot" say, "yeah, it's weaker." :cheesygrinsmiley:

What is the health risk with THC? Everything I've read lately is that the constituents in Cannabis are beneficial to our health. Their statement is called a "lie".

They must grind up the stems, seeds, shake...whatever they can find with the buds to come up with such a low average.

Oh my goodness. Here they are, trying to get past the "outdated, anachronistic views of marijuana" by spreading false information. Mr. Walters, this is probably the best job you've had in your career. Your mom must be proud. It's obvious that all you're doing is trying to justify your job by spreading misinformation. The Baby Boomers are laughing out loud at you since they know all about potency. It's the pre-boomer generation you're preaching to, and they are on their way out.

...most likely...

Spoken like someone who knows from experience...
Traffickers? Compassionate providers is more like it.

From the book "How to Skew the Numbers From any Random Facts to Fit Your World View" available online.

Worrisome possibilities from your particular perspective have no place in a discussion of facts.

Uh huh. I hate those caffeine headaches when I miss my cup for a couple of days in a row, but smoking a little Cannabis alleviates the pain.

So, how did they come up with samples seized in 1975? Has this study been going that long?

Great points Freak.

If you want to get down to brass tacks about it...it's somewhat the governments fault for coming up with G13 and letting it get to the breeders to make alot of these "one hit wonders".
I remember smoking one hit wonders back in the 80's...so they are way off base saying that it's a recent thing.
I'll be willing to bet that Afgani strains flowed free at Woodstock!!!

I'll be willing to bet that Afgani strains flowed free at Woodstock!!!
maybe back stage. i wasn't there but i was smoking back then and i would bet the majority of the crowd was smoking average mexican or homegrown from whatever seeds were available.

The question isn't weather or not the strains were better back in the day or not,but why in this day and age of knowledge we as American's are not allowed the same rights as our forefathers were.I'm not talking hearsay but hard proven medical proof, and yet a doctor would so much fasted perscribe stuff that would kill me the first time I take it than cannabis wich has never killed a single person. I mean these docs are educated for 10-20 years,they sure know the pros and cons of narcotics vs. cannabis yet what do they choose for relief every time in most states? We haqve the pharmisutatcal companys to thank for shoving all the big bucks in their pockets to decide weather the patient should get nateral non life-threatening meds or processed pharma shit that can kill without any warning.

Back
Top Bottom