House of Representatives to Consider Cannabis Decriminalization!

Jimbo

Tell Your Representative to Support H.R. 5843!

NORML is pleased to report that H.R. 5843, an "Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults," has been introduced in the House of Representatives by Representatives Barney Frank and Ron Paul.

This measure, if passed, would strip the federal government of its authority to arrest responsible adult cannabis consumers. NORML founder and Legal Director Keith Stroup worked extensively with Frank's staff to write this important legislation, which represents the first cannabis decriminalization measure introduced in Congress in 24 years.

Under current federal law, the penalty for cannabis possession is up to one year imprisonment and a $1,000 fine.

Please take a moment today to write your Representative and urge him to support this important legislation. For your convenience, a prewritten letter will be sent to your Representative when you enter your zip code below.

Thanks for supporting NORML's efforts to reform marijuana laws in the United States.

Ron Fisher
NORML Outreach Coordinator
ron@norml.org
Contact Officials - NORML

Thank you for this post, and this section of the forums.

Please everyone take a moment of your time and use the form to fill out and send to your local representative.

:joint:

I mailed my Rep Duncan Hunter and got a polite reply though he declined to vote in favor. He repeated the usual Republican mis-information about marijuana as his reason. But I still strongly encourage people to write. They need to know we have some numbers out here.

Thats exactly right bro and another reason is to keep this fresh on their minds all the time. Never let them forget they are obligated to serve the people and the people are what got them in the position they are in. Y'all be sure to tell your friends, families, co-workers and anyone else that you meet that they need to go to NORML's site and send this in. I can't stress this enough...Mass numbers are the key here!!!

Thats exactly right bro and another reason is to keep this fresh on their minds all the time. Never let them forget they are obligated to serve the people and the people are what got them in the position they are in. Y'all be sure to tell your friends, families, co-workers and anyone else that you meet that they need to go to NORML's site and send this in. I can't stress this enough...Mass numbers are the key here!!!

Indeed, exactly what I've been doing, and hoping others will do!

:peace:

Jimbo! just read your thread entitled noobs... heres the email I received back a few days ago.

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding your support for legislation that decriminalizes marijuana for adults. Drug abuse and addiction are issues that concern me greatly. Though we do not agree on this issue, I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The American Medical Association and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, among others, have documented the negative impacts of marijuana use on the human body. The use of illegal drugs affects the quality of life of all Americans. Drug abuse, trafficking and the resulting violence negatively affects our communities and places undue burdens on the legal and healthcare systems. It is our responsibility to provide adequate resources for education about the harmful effects of drug use and resources for the treatment of addiction. If we strive to eliminate the problems resulting from drug use, we can provide a safe and promising future for our children.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. Please do not hesitate to contact me again at any time should you have any additional comments about this or any other legislative issue. Also, please visit my website at U.S. Congressman Ric Keller : 8th District Of Florida for regular updates.

Sincerely,

Ric Keller
Member of Congress

it then goes on to say that due to security reasons you cannot directly reply to this email. so whats your guys thoughts???

security reasons?...wtf! He just sounds like he is scared you will inundate him with truth...if you do figure out how to e-mail him back, you need to tell him that you are sorry he feels so strongly about supporting a war that mostly only imprisons nonviolent people so that law enforcement can get their money through hefty fines
Tell him that you have tried enough prescription drugs to know that they are ineffective for your needs and that only cannabis gives you the relief you need.
Tell him that you will keep that in mind come election time.
Also you will keep the same thing in mind when talking to hundreds of other voters in which have been oppressed by a war on the people via the DEA.
Remind him that this war is a gross waste of tax payers money by keeping millions of people in prison for nothing more than simple possession.
While he insists on letting violent offenders go free so that they can keep our prison system filled to max capacity with nonviolent cannabis users.
He also needs to know that his research is only what big drug and the DEA wants him to here and that if he was to look further into it and finds out the real truth from real cannabis users, he may find that he has been duped by false misinformation.
He has an obligation to the people as a whole, not just what law enforcement wants him to believe his obligations are.
Millions of people are living in fear and distrust of local and federal law enforcement and you feel that as a whole nation, people think of law enforcement as their enemy because of the stress to society they cause by an unjust war on people...this must stop because we feel that we need someone to be able to turn to, but our law enforcement is only out to make our lives a living hell, and thats unfortunate for the millions that need protection from gangs that are direct result of the war on drugs...it's real simple...no war on drugs, no gangs.

You can use something along these lines, or you can make your own statement to him, but if you do nothing else, let him know that if he and his kind keep up an unwavering mindset without even trying to research further into it, then their days are numbered.

Talk to boss as well for what to tell this guy, Boss is great at speaking his mind to these people.

tell your rep. that they have a constitutional duty to provide for the "progress of science" that means thjey should have open hearings with adequate public notice to reevaluate controlled substances that
scientifically documented medical uses that have changed since
the 1930's....

also hemp has many industrial uses including biodiesel that would mean less money going to middle eastern terrorists through petroleum sales /purchases

here is the part in the email about the responses.

I tell ya bro...this is one of those guys that is getting a piece of the pie from big drug kick backs.
The part that he mentions about "quality of life"...what does he know about it?
Quality of life, is a state of mind in which you are happy with your situation and this war on people is keeping millions of people stressed out and unhappy...not to mention the millions that sit in prison for simple possession...so wtf?
If this guy wants to sit there and talk about research...tell him that for every scrap of research he has been given, you can give him ten more that contradict those...challenge him to look at NORML and the others as well...his research is old and outdated, almost as if they just keep rewriting the same old data twisted around to sound a little different than the last paper they wrote, so that it sounds new.
Ask him point blank if he has ever used marijuana, and tell him that if his answer is "no" then he is not qualified to make harsh judgments without all the facts...it's amazing how these guys think they know everything about something just from reading a paper written by more people that have never tried it...like they are experts or something...what gives them the right?

i like your thinking jimbo! i will get back to Ric Keller asap. I might even try replying to the email and seeing where that gets me.

yes it does seem like its the same reply, that has been used for who knows how many years. theres isn't much fact in it to begin with, a quoting here and there, its mostly just BS as we have all seen.

thanks again jimbo!

I will do some research and find this guys real funding. So far it's basic PAC cash from 2 major repubican groups, healthcare, realestate, lawyers and single interest groups. This is going to require some deep cross checking and research.

Total PAC Money for 2008: $423,650
Number of Contributions: 289

Sponsor of this bill -Drug Trafficking Elimination Act of 2007
To amend the Controlled Substances Act to enhance criminal penalties for drug trafficking offenses relating to distribution of h**n, marijuana, and met*8amine and distribution to and use of children, and for other purposes.
Other Bill Titles (3 more)
2/16/2007--Introduced.
Drug Trafficking Elimination Act of 2007 - Amends the Controlled Substances Act and the Controlled Substances Import and Export Act to increase prison terms or impose mandatory minimum prison terms for:
(1) manufacturing, distributing, dispensing, or possessing certain large amounts of h***in, marihuana, or met********e;
(2) importing or exporting such drugs;
(3) manufacturing or cultivating a controlled substance on federal property;
(4) using hazardous substances on federal land in connection with illegal drug activities;
(5) possessing a listed chemical with intent to manufacture a controlled substance;
(6) committing a crime of violence during and in relation to a drug trafficking crime;
(7) engaging in a dangerous drug trafficking organization;
(8) distributing controlled substances to persons under age 21 or to a pregnant person;
(9) distributing controlled substances in or near schools; and
(10) employing or involving persons under age 18 in illegal drug activities.
Directs the Attorney General to develop a National Drug Trafficking Enforcement Strategy.

Well, this guy scares the shit outta me, as well as a few other republicans in Florida. Some of the largest corporate money takers I have ever seen. The list of major corporate donors is huge.

It goes all the way from big telco (He wants to allow the police in Orlando to tap all IP traffic to fight "known street gangs") all the major defense contractors, real estate, it goes on and on. This guy may as well have "Corporate Servant" tattooed on his forehead.

No Help in Tennessee either! This is the response I had after writing to Zach Wamp.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Chris:

Marijuana is a very dangerous drug and the legalization of medical marijuana is a controversial issue. Our nation is looking for ways to prevent our young people smoking cigarettes while also dealing with the enormous health costs associated with long-term smoking. If we were to simultaneously eliminate society's attempts to restrict marijuana smoking, we would be sending mixed messages to our young people and encouraging an expensive as well as destructive habit.

It is also very dangerous for anyone attempting to drive on our streets, operate hazardous equipment, or pilot public transportation such as commercial aircraft while under the influence of mind altering drugs. The rights and protections to our society always need to be weighed with individual rights to engage in destructive behavior.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) makes decisions about which drugs are available to doctors and patients. Marijuana is not an FDA-approved drug and is, therefore, not legally available as medicine. A synthetic form of marijuana, Marinol is available by prescription and is regulated by the FDA.

Many complain that Marinol is not as effective as natural marijuana, but it would not be responsible to prescribe marijuana as a medicine. The reasons are that the dosage and potency of marijuana cannot be controlled and all of the active chemicals in marijuana have not been identified and thoroughly researched. Sound science must guide these decisions.

Warmest Regards,
Zach Wamp
Member of Congress

all the more reason to vote this guy OUT!!! We need to confront him with these facts to let him know that we know his intentions are purely based on more profit and not the well being of the people...remind him that his obligations are to us "the people" and should not be for big business! His capital gain will mean nothing without having voters on his side...all of them need to know that!

i would not only like to email my rep regarding this - is there a petition form that is created specifically for this measure, that i could download and have a few hundred locals sign in support? if not, id like to create one and mail in the signatures. if there isnt one, i could possibly make it available to others that would like to use it.

i believe this line of thought is one of the biggest obstacles we face:
The use of illegal drugs affects the quality of life of all Americans.

this is a true statement, however the perception is skewed. the only way to combat this type of misguided judgment is with solid (research proven) facts. unfortunately we are still working toward this. for now we can try explaining 1) decriminalization = making it NOT illegal, which negates that statement entirely, and 2) medical properties of MJ not only offers relief and long-term benefit for many illnesses and disorders (not to mention obvious help to AIDs and cancer patients) that is a non-addictive alternative, usually with less side affects than 'legal' prescription drugs that are pushed by doctors all the time.

problem is, alot of government (and even some medical) officials believe the bs that has been lobbied against MJ for a very long time, and turning that tide is a slow and arduous task. one that we are tackling day by day, thankfully - we each make a difference. lets continue to bludgeon our reps until they push limits for themselves to get to the truth.

Back
Top Bottom