First post Introduction

HopHead

Hi Everybody. This is my first post. I've just discovered this forum due to a renewed interest in growing. Haven't grown for at least 10 yrs but have 8 babies on the go. 4 Afghani and 4 NL. These are from seeds I collected from plants I grew about 10 yrs ago. I was given seeds by a friend and grew 7 plants under a 400w MH. 4 turned out to be female and the other three were male. Before going 12/12 I had cloned all 7 and then eliminated the male clones after finding out which were male and female. The second crop was all female. Because the first crop was a mixture of Afghani and NL in the same grow room the seeds I collected should be a mixture of the two strains. I labeled/packaged the seeds for each plant (over 1000 total) in tinfoil and then a baggy and stored them in the freezer. This is my first planting of those seeds after 10 yrs and they germinated beautifully. I sowed them in soil in individual 1.5" pots with a heat mat underneath. They all germinated in 2-4 days. Will be looking for any differences as they get bigger.

About 20 yrs ago I grew one variety for about 10 yrs. It was a clone given to me by a friend. He said it was a cross between Afghani and BC Hydro. Very good bud. Energenic - you had to get up and do something; you couldn't veg on it. It was also very harsh - would make the most seasoned smoker cough until you got used to it. Made a lot of clones and grew it under MH, HPS and regular fluorescent over those years. All my growing has been in soil.

Have been looking around the forum and can't help but notice how growing and knowledge have developed and expanded since I last indulged. It's great and I look forward to learning lots of new stuff.

Welcome to the site !

I am somewhat just back at it myself after a 10 year Hiatus.

There sure is lots of good Knowledge and grow tips to be had here , new methods to consider etc.

Best Tip I can give you is that hydroponic nutrients work very well in soil.
They are chelated to act fast and give the plants what they need 24-7

also heres a how to guide for Uploading Images.

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Thanks ShiggityFlip for the welcome and I do like a good beer. Never had Nugget Nectar. Mostly drink homemade from extracts. IPA's, stouts etc. Have a hop yard with a few varieties growing. Will probably get into making beer from scratch in a couple of years. Will check out grow journals as you suggest. Also want to get a bit of a handle on all the varieties. Especially the sativas.

Thanks LEDBud (fellow Canadian) for the welcome and tips. Notice your "Canada to Legalize Cannabis" - ya gotta love it. I never concerned myself too much about nutrients/fertilizers. I recycle my soil in a plastic garbage can and add clippings, chopped up stocks, etc. Basically a compost pile. I use liquid fish fertilizers and worm castings and I've never had any complaints. I do a lot of vegetable gardening and I treat cannabis as just another crop. Albeit a special crop. Next summer I'll probably use stinging nettle tea manure and comfry tea manure because I have those growing in my outdoor garden.

I like your style all natural , everyone has their way organic makes good smoke. I used to gorw organic back in the day since I restarted I jumped on in with hydroponic food and have been enjoying the results.

I still use Bat Guano , I still have the same bucket of it from 10 years ago.
I am currently using it as a bloom booster as its numbers are 2-17-0 with 17 being the phosperous.

LEDBud, you're right about organic makes good smoke. I think Nature worked it all out a long time ago. According to friends chem ferts affect the taste. They also deplete the soil over time according to the organic crowd. The beauty is we all have choices and experimenting can disclose pleasant surprises.

Welcome to 420Mag and hopefully we can see a grow journal and follow along the way. Plenty of awesome people, growers, and friends here to meet up and talk grow amongst other things. Enjoy your stay.

Back
Top Bottom