Extreme newbie

Bubbi

Hello gentle people! I've been browsing 420 for some time. I finally mustered up the courage to join once and for all! I am currently in the weaning process of getting off of oxycontin. I was on 80mg 3 cray now known to only 40mg twice a day and doing great! I've been on Fentanyl patches but it kept gnawing through my skin. So that's how I transferred over to Oxycontin. I cannot wait till I'm totally off the junk. It's ruined a few of my teeth. (In process of getting dental implants)... It's very expensive.
Now I've tried train wreck and two others that I do not remember off hand. I was literally stunned at how pain free I was and didn't need a single breakthrough pain medication for a solid 10-11 HOURS! I didn't even give it a thought until it was brought to my attention several weeks later. So, that was the deciding factor for me to get off opioids!
I purchased 5 seeds of White Widow from Crop Kings. It should arrive in a couple of weeks.
I'm seeing so many purple lights, tents, etc that has me a wee bit nervous. Someone even mentioned they use carbon or something like that do others can't smell it.
Yes, nervous but it's a must as I want pain managed so I can function.
Why do you call this 420? Also what's brix? And 12/12, etc? I couldn't find a glossary of all the terms you all use.
Crop king for some unknown reason could not and would not provide me with ANY information what I needed to do to grow cannabis. Btw, I'm only going to start with 1 seed at a time since it's just me. I've no clue how much 1 seed of WW grows up to. (That's approximately speaking of course)... So as you can clearly tell, I'm so new to this whole thing.

I look very much forward to meeting you all!

Please, please sign petition to legslise cannabis in the states.

Keep your campaign pledge to respect state marijuana legalization laws. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

Bubbi
The person who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the person who does not ask is a fool for life. ~Confucius

Welcome here! You're certainly in the right place. Look at some Indica strains. That's what I'm doing now..

Sent from my LG-H740 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

"I am currently in the weaning process of getting off of oxycontin... So, that was the deciding factor for me to get off opioids!"

First and formost congratulations! The decision to get clean is a very big one. It means you know you have a problem and that means it can be fixed. I will be 4 years clean from opiates in June. My relationship with oxy turned to IV heroin over the years. I don't drink or do any hard drugs today. I only smoke the weed. It helps me stay clean. It is nature's medicine :) It won't be easy... I have gone cold turkey once in jail but my ultimate and final detox was helped with methadone. Some say its a replacement but I got off that too so... fuck 'em. Whatever it takes for you to get clean, do it. I am new to growing but so far the process has been very cathartic in an emotional way. I have my pets, my family, but I am closer to 30 than 20 and live alone. This hobby has become something more and I am quite sure you can see from these forums that I am not alone.

"Why do you call this 420? Also what's brix? And 12/12, etc? I couldn't find a glossary of all the terms you all use."

In most cases, "Urban Dictionary" a website that serves as a dictionary of commonly used slang can be helpful. The expression 4:20 has lots of 'fake history' around it. I remember being told it was Bob Marley's birthday. It is not. I remember once being told it was the police code for marijuana possession. It was never that either. It actually all started with a meeting time... a big ol' smoke session organized by the Grateful Dead. That is it. Nothing more. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Nonetheless 420 friendly was the blurb I put in my classified ad when putting out a room for rent in college. If you watch the movie 'Pulp Fiction' every clock in the film is set to 4:20. It has become the universal sign... and a holiday of sorts for us pot heads. Hope that clears it up...

'Brix' or 'Bricks' is how traditional commercial weed is packaged. Big bricks of buds dried out and transported all over. Traditionally a brick weighs a kilo and is not known for being not very good weed.

12/12 is the light pattern (Light 12 hours/Dark 12 hours) required for a marijuana plant to flower (if not of the autoflower variety but lets walk before we run shall we) ;)

Congrats and welcome. I am new here to but feeling chatty so I thought I'd save you some google searching and get it from the horse's mouth... or the cat's mouth. My name is Kitty. Pleased to meet you! So pour yourself a nice big cuppacawfee and get reading my friend. There is a wealth of knowledge here for the taking!

xxKitty :circle-of-love:

I had a coworker who was trying to get off the fentanyl patches as well. She had a really hard time with it, dealing with the pain and withdrawal. She made it. Good on you!!

Hello everyone!

Firstly, thank you so very much for your extreme thoughtfulness and kindness!
English isn't my first language.... I use ASL fluently as that's our mode of communication. With that said, I do want to let you know that I'm often misunderstood because I don't speak quite like our counterparts. I do however do try my utmost very best to be as clear and precise as I hope to be. I'm serious, if at ANY time you're not sure what I've said, please do go right on ahead and do ask me. Believe me, you're NOT intruding and certainly not offending me. Smile
I think I may have caused misunderstanding when I discussed the patches and weaning off of my medications.
Thank the Buddha or what have you, addiction has never-ever been an issue for me.
I was on 80mg Oxycontin 3 times a day and hated it. It was too much for me. So the pain management physicians removed 80mg and reduced to only twice a day. Now that was I believe in the spring of last year. I wanted to go lower. They started me on 60mg twice a day. With 20 mg for the afternoon which is usually the most painful time for me. Well, I felt I didn't always need to use 20mg. I eventually just stuck with 60mg twice a day. Then the beginning of January, in no longer on 60mg! Smile... I'm on 40mg twice a day and will start 20mg twice a day in March! Can't wait!!!
However, I most likely will always need the backup of Roxicodone 30mg. So if I need it, I'll have something to manage the pain.
I'm hoping medical marijuana will allow me to use it anytime I need it. Not in public of course. If I'm at home, I can use cannabis instead of the breakthrough pain medication. But if at an event, I wouldn't have a choice.
Btw, needles absolutely terrify me. It's very very hard for one to find a vein on me. So I've never tried heroin, cocaine, etc. Moons ago in my college days, sure I've had recreational marijuana and brownies with marijuana in it... But that was as far as I went. I'm naturally just not a drinker at all. So I've not had any problems weaning off the medication. I did think I could go without taking my next dosage. That was last year. Not smart! That right there hit me hard as it upset me to be dependant on Oxycontin. Now I of course know that's not the way to wean off of such medications.

As for the patches, I've no idea why your friend is having a hard time with it. It worked for me, but it got to the point the patches had to be medically removed because the patches literally would bury itself underneath my skin. It's very painful having that gnawing, cutting feeling and constant infections. Thats why they switched the medications. I think by June or July, I'll be OFF iof the junk!!!

It is also the same time I'm hoping the White Widow plant (just see t 1 seed) will be ready to use!

I'm extremely excited to be getting off of the medications! Smile!

I absolutely applaud you for getting off the street drugs. Major, major congratulations to you!!! I cannot imagine how rough it must have been for you. But you proved that it can be done! I've seen the programme, Drug Intervention... Makes me shudder every single time. I just cannot even imagine. I do love their success stories!!!

Bubbi
The person who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the person who does not ask is a fool for life. ~Confucius

Kitty,

I cannot begin to thank you enough for explaining everything to me. I appreciate it so very much!!! So very much!!

One thing... The brix you explained... Do you mean the actual plant/stem that's hung upside down to dry... Then it's mailed that way? But it's heavy which is why it's called brix?
Did I understand that correctly? Or am I a wee bit off kilter? Smile...

I've not seen the film, "Pulp Fiction" and don't think I'll watch it as it's too much for me. I don't dare watch horrors either! Yep!!! One of those who must have a blanket over my eyes/face and others tap me to let me know when it's clear! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not into such scenes. My husband watches them. That's fine so as long as I'm in a different room! Lol

I found everything you mentioned about 420 so interesting!!! Thanks!!!

I ordered seeds. But nothing else as I just don't know what I really should get and of course from where.

Have any of you ever tried hemp oil? I used to buy it but then it got prohibitively expensive. If I remember, it was from Spectrum.
I know there's 3 grades of hemp. Edible, cosmetic and industrial hemp.

I used edible for muffins etc... (Unfortunately no high whatsoever)... I used cosmetic grade in some batches of soap I used to make.
I've never used industrial hemp. But it's great for lubricant bicycle chains, etc.

A very dear gal I know of said Amazon sells cannabis oil gel capsules which is good for hands/fingers pain. But that too doesn't produce any high whatsoever.

On 420 I've seen msgs of tincture that produces insane high. And oil caps but not sure if it produces a high? Would you know?

I wouldn't mind using the the tincture (drops and not capfuls for moi!) Or gelcaps to try and see if they work well for pain as art is extremely important to me. Can't do such now with hands and fingers like this.

Thank you ALL so very much for welcoming me! That means the world to me! Smile

Bubbi

Anyone know how I can be notified whenever a msg comes through? I have the notifications all on green. But nothing shows up.

Bubbi

Anyone know how I can be notified whenever a msg comes through? I have the notifications all on green. But nothing shows up.

Bubbi
Mine seems delayed about 10 mins untill i get notified.

Fist is first how much do you want to grow. That determines everything else needed.

OG Kush BTY 12-12 From Seed

First Time Grow

Oh! Kitty... What on earth is IV heroin? Is that what the doctors in pain management prescribed for you so you wouldn't have to use dangerous unknown needles and unknown heroin? I've never heard of IV heroin before. I have been told numerous times that the medications in on is like heroin, and also have been told it's worse than morbin (sorry, cannot remember name or spelling of that pain medication. (legal, but must be prescribed by a physician who can Rx it.)
I'm sure people can get it illegally. But please don't tell me as I don't ever want to know. That just terrifies me to no end. But when a user turns to illegal methods, I saw on drug intervention they can find it so very easily. Yikes! Plus shivers.
I'm just SO VERY proud of you for overcoming such obstacles. I cannot imagine how hard it had to have been for you. But you're a free-winged flying bird now! Just as it should be!

So you're new to growing as well! It's great you live alone so you needn't worry about anyone saying anything.

What are you growing? I'm supposed to receive only 5- white widow seeds. I saw the YouTube film that was even CC!!!!!!! How you MUST soak the seed prior to planting it in direct soil. I'm hoping the rest of instructions are all properly CC as well!

I'm wondering if I can make a tent instead of buying them? I wouldn't even know. The room we plan to use is the coldest room in the house. There's a massive country golf club right in our backyard. So a tent would be important to use. I've never used purple lights before. As you can tell, I'm spanking brand new to all of this.
My college days over 32 years ago were fun days. But now like I said earlier, this is strictly for pain management and nothing else.

You sound like you were born mid to late 80's. We have a 31 yr old and 29 yr old. Smile the 80s was a fabulous time for many things!

We have 1 lab and 2 cats. We're sincerely considering purchasing another lab. But a chocolate one! We'll see!!! Dogs have always been in our lives, always. I used to be terrified of cats as I was bitten by one and had to have 2 of her teeth removed from my leg calves. No earthly clue what caused Missy to do that to me in the early/mid 70s. But I found courage in late 80s to own a car and can't live without them! They're very very smart. They know how to get out attention. Usually one of my cats jump or paws me and if his head turns... He is trying to tell us something. He can be a total pest at times too!!! Lol! Other one is LAZY! Just like all of us, each one has uniqueness and differences! But thats precisely what makes life so interesting! Just like the wheels of a vehicle, life doesn't ever end. Life goes on as we all do! Every single day it's something different! Smile

Btw, I learnt from Crop Kings that I was mistaken about something. Originally I thought Indica helped one have energy, yet relaxed and good for during the day. Sativa I thought was a Harvey wall banger! Just knocks you out and helps insomnia.
I was wrong. It's the other way around.

I would like to find indica that would be super helpful with my severe insomnia. (Lifelong)... But which are you growing?

I've a question... Do seeds naturally form when plant is finished growing? It would be great if that is the case.

I bought a brand new very unique glass pipe or whatever it's called... From Modern Touch. It's only made as ordered. But what's so unique about it is the inside has brass thingie so I guess when you add some cannabis to it, it automatically spirals as needed. Ever seen anything like it? It's cool!
My fingers and hands would hurt too much if I had to roll. I've tried that moons ago and was horrible at it. It came apart. I decided to just throw it into brownies that I made. That was years and years ago!

It's ten to 3 am... Hope everyone is sleeping peacefully! Till then

Bubbi

Hello everyone!

Firstly, thank you so very much for your extreme thoughtfulness and kindness!
English isn't my first language.... I use ASL fluently as that's our mode of communication. With that said, I do want to let you know that I'm often misunderstood because I don't speak quite like our counterparts. I do however do try my utmost very best to be as clear and precise as I hope to be. I'm serious, if at ANY time you're not sure what I've said, please do go right on ahead and do ask me. Believe me, you're NOT intruding and certainly not offending me. Smile
I think I may have caused misunderstanding when I discussed the patches and weaning off of my medications.
Thank the Buddha or what have you, addiction has never-ever been an issue for me.
I was on 80mg Oxycontin 3 times a day and hated it. It was too much for me. So the pain management physicians removed 80mg and reduced to only twice a day. Now that was I believe in the spring of last year. I wanted to go lower. They started me on 60mg twice a day. With 20 mg for the afternoon which is usually the most painful time for me. Well, I felt I didn't always need to use 20mg. I eventually just stuck with 60mg twice a day. Then the beginning of January, in no longer on 60mg! Smile... I'm on 40mg twice a day and will start 20mg twice a day in March! Can't wait!!!
However, I most likely will always need the backup of Roxicodone 30mg. So if I need it, I'll have something to manage the pain.
I'm hoping medical marijuana will allow me to use it anytime I need it. Not in public of course. If I'm at home, I can use cannabis instead of the breakthrough pain medication. But if at an event, I wouldn't have a choice.
Btw, needles absolutely terrify me. It's very very hard for one to find a vein on me. So I've never tried heroin, cocaine, etc. Moons ago in my college days, sure I've had recreational marijuana and brownies with marijuana in it... But that was as far as I went. I'm naturally just not a drinker at all. So I've not had any problems weaning off the medication. I did think I could go without taking my next dosage. That was last year. Not smart! That right there hit me hard as it upset me to be dependant on Oxycontin. Now I of course know that's not the way to wean off of such medications.

As for the patches, I've no idea why your friend is having a hard time with it. It worked for me, but it got to the point the patches had to be medically removed because the patches literally would bury itself underneath my skin. It's very painful having that gnawing, cutting feeling and constant infections. Thats why they switched the medications. I think by June or July, I'll be OFF iof the junk!!!

It is also the same time I'm hoping the White Widow plant (just see t 1 seed) will be ready to use!

I'm extremely excited to be getting off of the medications! Smile!

I absolutely applaud you for getting off the street drugs. Major, major congratulations to you!!! I cannot imagine how rough it must have been for you. But you proved that it can be done! I've seen the programme, Drug Intervention... Makes me shudder every single time. I just cannot even imagine. I do love their success stories!!!

Bubbi

She had a life similar to what little I know of Kitty from her post on this thread. My co-worker used to say she should have been dead a couple times over lol.

Oh! Kitty... What on earth is IV heroin? Is that what the doctors in pain management prescribed for you so you wouldn't have to use dangerous unknown needles and unknown heroin? I've never heard of IV heroin before.

Sorry I didn't explain it better. IV just stands for IntraVenous. Meaning I went from taking my pills... to using heroin because it is/was the same thing (an opiate) but stronger and cheaper... to using heroin intravenously. I am not proud of it but that is where the path of chemical dependency took me. I didn't grow up in a bad environment. I went to private schools and graduated from college. Addiction doesn't pick and choose its victims...

'
So you're new to growing as well! It's great you live alone so you needn't worry about anyone saying anything.

What are you growing? I'm supposed to receive only 5- white widow seeds.

Yes... been researching for sometime and just started my first grow about two weeks ago. I was actually gifted my seeds by a friend in Florence who grows. They are his own breed. He says they are some cross of White Widow, Northern Lights, and Afghani Indica... So it will be a bit of a surprise as to what traits they take on. Also unlike most seed bank seeds they are not 'feminized' so I may have to kill off some of my plants because male plants do not give you the buds you traditionally think of when you think of marijuana. Also... one male plant can pollinate ALL of your females leaving you with buds FILLED with seeds which answers one of your next questions...

I've a question... Do seeds naturally form when plant is finished growing? It would be great if that is the case.

No. Not unless they are pollinated by a male. This is generally not wanted in a grow because as I said earlier it makes your plant work to produce seeds instead of working to produce the nice big buds you want to smoke.

I'm wondering if I can make a tent instead of buying them? I wouldn't even know. The room we plan to use is the coldest room in the house.

I am using an armoire... The tents are pretty cool and I may buy one down they line but I had a large armoire in the spare bedroom of my home that wasn't being used. I lucked out in that it is white. (good reflective surface). It is pretty big and works perfectly for my set up. I am not in the financial position to blow a whole bunch of money all at once... so I am trying to spend my money on the most important things and buy as I go/grow :) Marijuana ... especially seedlings do NOT like the cold. I try not to let the space dip below 70. If you are working in a space that is cold year round you may want to go with HPS/HID lamps as they get warm and serve not only as a light source but a heat source. I decided on using an LED panel which doesn't get hot and saves on electricity.

You sound like you were born mid to late 80's. We have a 31 yr old and 29 yr old. Smile the 80s was a fabulous time for many things!

Yup... an 80s baby I am! Late 80's :) I just had my birthday on February 1st

One thing... The brix you explained... Do you mean the actual plant/stem that's hung upside down to dry... Then it's mailed that way? But it's heavy which is why it's called brix?
Did I understand that correctly? Or am I a wee bit off kilter? Smile...

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I tried to answer most of your questions. If I missed any I apologize. If there is something you would like to know that I missed just let me know in your response. I will try and help as much as I can. My mother was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when she was 21. She is 58 and has had both hips replaced, both feet reset and one knee replaced. She was addicted to Oxycontin and opiate pain medications as well but was able to get clean about twelve years ago. Today she only uses marijuana and ibuprofen in addition to her prednisone. She is a teacher so she gets to come and spend her summers with me in Italy :) I am hoping my first harvest will be ready about the time she gets here. I would love to eventually work on a strain that focuses on pain relief for rheumatoid arthritis patients. Most people associate arthritis with elderly patients... but my mom has suffered her entire adult life so the damage it has done to her body is pretty severe. She had her first hip replacement when I was 12 years old.

Anyways... sorry that was a bit of a downer. Just wanted to explain how I can understand the position you are in. It is a beautiful Monday morning in Tuscany. Took the dog out for a walk and the sea is a stunningly BRIGHT aquamarine. Cold nights but nice warm days this time of year here. Its so nice when the days start getting longer again.

Peace and Love
Kitty
>^..^<

Sorry I didn't explain it better. IV just stands for IntraVenous. Meaning I went from taking my pills... to using heroin because it is/was the same thing (an opiate) but stronger and cheaper... to using heroin intravenously. I am not proud of it but that is where the path of chemical dependency took me. I didn't grow up in a bad environment. I went to private schools and graduated from college. Addiction doesn't pick and choose its victims...

Yes... been researching for sometime and just started my first grow about two weeks ago. I was actually gifted my seeds by a friend in Florence who grows. They are his own breed. He says they are some cross of White Widow, Northern Lights, and Afghani Indica... So it will be a bit of a surprise as to what traits they take on. Also unlike most seed bank seeds they are not 'feminized' so I may have to kill off some of my plants because male plants do not give you the buds you traditionally think of when you think of marijuana. Also... one male plant can pollinate ALL of your females leaving you with buds FILLED with seeds which answers one of your next questions...

No. Not unless they are pollinated by a male. This is generally not wanted in a grow because as I said earlier it makes your plant work to produce seeds instead of working to produce the nice big buds you want to smoke.

I am using an armoire... The tents are pretty cool and I may buy one down they line but I had a large armoire in the spare bedroom of my home that wasn't being used. I lucked out in that it is white. (good reflective surface). It is pretty big and works perfectly for my set up. I am not in the financial position to blow a whole bunch of money all at once... so I am trying to spend my money on the most important things and buy as I go/grow :) Marijuana ... especially seedlings do NOT like the cold. I try not to let the space dip below 70. If you are working in a space that is cold year round you may want to go with HPS/HID lamps as they get warm and serve not only as a light source but a heat source. I decided on using an LED panel which doesn't get hot and saves on electricity.

Yup... an 80s baby I am! Late 80's :) I just had my birthday on February 1st

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I tried to answer most of your questions. If I missed any I apologize. If there is something you would like to know that I missed just let me know in your response. I will try and help as much as I can. My mother was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when she was 21. She is 58 and has had both hips replaced, both feet reset and one knee replaced. She was addicted to Oxycontin and opiate pain medications as well but was able to get clean about twelve years ago. Today she only uses marijuana and ibuprofen in addition to her prednisone. She is a teacher so she gets to come and spend her summers with me in Italy :) I am hoping my first harvest will be ready about the time she gets here. I would love to eventually work on a strain that focuses on pain relief for rheumatoid arthritis patients. Most people associate arthritis with elderly patients... but my mom has suffered her entire adult life so the damage it has done to her body is pretty severe. She had her first hip replacement when I was 12 years old.

Anyways... sorry that was a bit of a downer. Just wanted to explain how I can understand the position you are in. It is a beautiful Monday morning in Tuscany. Took the dog out for a walk and the sea is a stunningly BRIGHT aquamarine. Cold nights but nice warm days this time of year here. Its so nice when the days start getting longer again.

Peace and Love
Kitty
>^..^<

Hi Kitty!

Just a very brief note to let you know I've read your response. March hasn't been a great month because some dear friends of ours have been ill, surgeries, etc... Plus banquets, surprise bday parties... Plus horrible wicked arthritis in hands/fingers which makes is very difficult to communicate as I only use my hands/fingers to do such. Just cannot wait for the weather to start stabilising. pH is extremely high which isn't good for arthritis. Oh well! Life goes on! That's all precisely what happens when we all age. No fun at times.

I saw the brix picture. I am hoping my plant will not produce that much. That would just terrify me! I'm only interested in maybe palm-full of buds. I'm not a smoker by a long shot! I would only smoke extremely small amounts just to manage pain and to function.

Your English is very good! I think of Italy every time I make risotto meals! The risotto I buy is Acquerello risotto. The best in my own opinion!

Fingers and hands cramping up a bit. I've responded to others as well. Keep in touch and let me know how you're plant is coming along!

"There is a world of difference between what you are taught and what you learn" ~ Jeff Demand

The term 'Brix' that you often see on 420 is usually relating, not to 'bricks', but to a growing method called high brix, developed by a member named Doc Bud. 'Brix' in general agricultural terms basically refers to a measurement of the amount of sugars and other matter within a plant's juices. Basically- the richer the plant juice solution is- the higher the brix reading is, and the healthier and overall better quality the plant is.

Brix | Bionutrient Food Association

The term 'Brix' that you often see on 420 is usually relating, not to 'bricks', but to a growing method called high brix, developed by a member named Doc Bud. 'Brix' in general agricultural terms basically refers to a measurement of the amount of sugars and other matter within a plant's juices. Basically- the richer the plant juice solution is- the higher the brix reading is, and the healthier and overall better quality the plant is.

High Brix Method: Organic Super Soil

^^^^ This is the answer I think you were looking for. Sorry... speaking a lot of languages confuses the brain and spelling and I just assumed when asked what a brick was. After reading more on 420... I realized this is a term coined by the grow community... my usage of the word was limited to drug culture :-/ thank you weasel.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom