What's up 420! Starting my third grow

alltatup

Hey folks, how you doin, glad to be here. I've been waiting to dive into this forum until after I got my third grow up and running. I germinated 5 Ace Purple Haze x Malawi seeds in Root Riots, and was delighted to see all five come up!! But now I have these five monster sativas growing in my relatively small grow box (BCNL RoomMate).

I am hoping for a grow with no crises!!! I had hurricane Matthew take out power for a week on my first grow, and a bad battle with algae on my second grow, which stunted the growth of 4 plants, but they came out nice and sticky--only smaller than I wanted. I fixed all the light leaks into the reservoir.

I'd love to hear from folks who have grown this lovely sativa!!!

Saw your post on weaselcracker's journal and thought I'd hop over and see what ya got going. Do you have any pics to share?

Hey Skybound, Nice to hear from you! I'm learning to navegate this forum, so I just posted my first pic of my seedlings in my gallery. Not quite sure yet how to insert pics directly into post...

When typing your post, notice on the bottom/left of the type box the "My Photos" icon. Click that tab and every time you click on your picture(s), 420 automatically inserts the link to that respective photo. If you double click your picture, it will generate duplicate links and and you'll get a duplicate posting of your photo, I learned that the hard way some years back.

seedlings_wk_2.JPG

Ok, let's try this again...

And nice to hear from you, Soilwork!!!

Hey Altatup. Just out wandering and saw this. A quick hello -glad you're starting a journal here :thumb: Sounds like I'd better go check my own journal.
I've seen a few people growing the Purple Malawi. Dr Ziggy is the only one I can remember at the moment but he will know who else grows it. DrZiggy's 2nd Journal - ACE Seeds - Doc Buds High Brix Kit - LEDs
How long are you going to veg for...? :)

Hey Weasel, I will veg for as brief a period as possible to get good roots and a few nodes. It's nice to get out and stretch myself a bit on this forum!!!

Yeah I don't know how to stretchy those plants are. Ive grown the Malawi for a while now and it's not bad at all but I tend to stay away from the haze varieties

If you ever need any help with the forum just ask it's kind a like some sort of Chinese puzzle

Are those floros the only source of light, or is there more above? I've never seen a grow that used side lighting like that.

Seedliings are two weeks old; here's a pic of the two stronger ones. The other two are a little smaller, but coming along. I keep thinking about the fact that I'll be working with them for months and months!!! If I wanna become a true sativa whisperer, I have to put in the time!!!

3_181.JPG

Welcome, Eugene! What are you growing? What's your setup? I have a relatively small and stealthy grow box, so I'm already drawing diagrams how how I'd like to LST my girls. I might even try to manifold a couple of them--something I haven't tried yet.

What strength nutes are you using? The reason I ask is because the leaves look kinda light green, almost yellow and I thought they might be yearning for more N.

Hey Skybound, I'm using AN pH perf. trio, and they are actually a good green, but the first leaves to emerge got nute burn, which is where you see the yellow, I think. This strain is extremely sensitive to over-feeding and especially to too much nitrogen, so I'm following the feeding guidelines of this guy:

Error | BC Northern Lights Grow Forums

Even Ace seeds says look out for nute burn.

Looked up Killing Fields: sounds great!! You have way more head room for your plants than I do: one thing I read about sativa dominant straings: better to support them from above. I will check out your grow journal!!

Keep the nutes lower than the indica strains for sure. The Ace Malawi takes about half the nutes of the Pinapple Chunk you were growing last. Purple Malawi is probably similar. The sativas don't generally have that dark green look that the indicas get- amd if they do it probably means they're getting too much N.
I've never heard of anyone fluxing/manifolding a pure sativa. Would be interesting to see. They might take off in the stretch period and leave the manifold in the dust, at the bottom of a large willow bush. Or they might not. The sativas tend to react more strongly to supercropping- which doesn't mean you can't do it- it just seems to have a drastic effect on them sometimes and makes the stem collapse and flop over for a while. Good for slowing them down when you have to though. I still do it for emergency height control and it works fine- they just act horrified when you do it.

Back
Top Bottom