New guy

pakman91

Hey everyone, Pakman here.

I'm fairly new to growing, haven't yet harvested a crop but I have had a few unfortunate failures.

I've been scouring the Internet for a few years now, searching forums and asking for help. Unfortunately previous forums I've tried tend to either ignore my posts or not offer up any valuable information to a noob.

This forum seems to be quite the opposite, so hopefully I've found a place to fit in and gain valuable knowledge.

I'm a strong supporter of the use and production of cannabis and hemp products, especially for industrial and medicinal purposes. Of course, recreational use never hurt anyone either!

Welcome! Nice intro. I bet we can help get you harvesting your own home grown in good time.

Cheers,
/Obi

Thanks for the greetings guys.

I'm currently in the process of designing a new setup so I can actually get into production. I think the hardest part is filtering through all the information and deciding on a setup, rather than just endlessly reading haha.

Luckily though, this last 6 or so months of growing have given me time to play around with training and cloning techniques so once I'm in full swing that'll be a few less things to have to learn.

EDIT: I'm yet to fully explore the forums, so rather than posting in the wrong spot could someone kindly direct me to the best place to get help on setup and design. Not sure if this is important or not, but I'm looking at perpetual sog. Only for personal use, plus maybe a bit extra.

I'm new here too, I've been growing for a while and thought I knew what I would qualify as a fair amount of knowledge, hints and tips. Hahaha no, no, no. I've seen and talked about things on here that I had absolutely no clue whatsoever of. So much information that only practical experience and multiple attempts at trying to get it right is the only way to actually digest it, not overloading on chunks of text!! Go simple and build from there mate, you'd be surprised at what you can get from the bare essentials :)

I'm currently working in a 5 drawer chest (not for clothes, just storage) with 8 x 24w cfls and a 10w clip fan. The front isn't attached, just leans against it. I root clones in diy humidity domes using heat on top of the chest as the top isn't lined.

I could flower in there, but without anywhere to keep others I'd have to stumble upon new bag seeds to start again ha ha. That and my mother/guinea pig is nearly as tall as the max height position for the lights. Just took some clones this morning because she was touching the lights.

I've always liked having two grow areas, one for flowering and one for seedlings and veggies. The veggie room is a lot smaller but is an environment in its own right, meaning it has different power, light, air temp/humidity levels. I've found it's easier to have that area set up and ready so I'm not faffing about changing the environment to suit veg/flower :)

Yeah that's the path I'm heading. The current setup was a first attempt spur of the moment slap together which was later improved but...

Ideally I would like a small mother/clone cab that's hidden (enough) and runs permanently. As well as a temporary fixture (thinking a tent) to flower as needed.

Otherwise a smaller flowering area running permanently. I don't mind the extra plants, nor the extra work.

First attempt spurs are the start of many bud journeys mate, I don't stop having crazy little ideas and theories and long may they continue ;)

Check out some of the perpetual grows on here. They're first rate mate and the vast, almost overwhelming majority of people are incredibly helpful and ready to congratulate or point in the right direction :)

Welcome! This is a great site with many wonderful people. I'm still amazed at the wealth of knowledge and the level of kindness and help. Enjoy your stay!

Half of the challenge is choosing an indoor growing style that suits both You and the Plants. For me, that is growing in a bucket of Perlite. It doesn't get any easier. It waters like dirt and feeds like hydro. It's not organic but it's difficult to mess up and provides the opportunity to run a grow from start to finish focusing on the plants rather than the containers. Check out Hempy buckets.

Cheers,
Obi

My best advice to a new grower is go coco, super easy if u have the time to feed atleast once a day. Huge growth, easy to fix any issues that may arise. If u wana see what coco can do check out my journal ;) pure hydro is good but can be expensive to start an has its own issues to deal with, soil works but harder to fix problems when they arise. Obi wan is right just gotta find a system that works for ya :) plenty on here who will help u find that

I'll agree with wiley420 on coco for a newbie. It works as a perfect transition for any gardener new to these plants or someone who has never grown anything. We're all familiar with growing outside in dirt; coco medium will feel much like that but give hydro results. I looked at all the other hydro methods and felt coco was the easiest starting point. No doubt, you can move to any other method later. I just think coco is an excellent entry point that doesn't require you spend a ton of money for equipment and you can focus on the plants, their personalities, and dialing in nutes. No matter what you choose, there are great people here to help.

:goodluck:

What's up I work for a dispensary in New Mexico so if you need any help have any particular questions just ask on here and put my name I will mark this forum
Happy growing

Thanks for the continued replies everyone!

I'm currently running coco and perlite 70/30 which is working good for me.

Temps can be an issue as far as it staying moist for too long, but only ever lost one batch (6) of rooting clones to excess moisture so all is good so far.

My plan is a 3x3 or 4x4 with a 600w hps for flowering, and I'll stick with my cfls for mothers/clones. I've ordered a couple led battens from work to give a try also. I'm hoping they'll either replace the cfls or at least keep moms alive and root clones. I can use both and switch the cfls on when I need new clones. That or use the leds as side lighting.

I know a lot of people don't like cfls, but I took 12 cuts from my mother on Thursday, fed the next day and then was able to take another 6 on Sunday! Not bad for ~200w of household lights.

Back
Top Bottom