First time CFL grow

Phillygank215

I'm using bare minimals here. I'm knowledgeable in what I need for a pro-grow, but due to money limitations I jumped right in with what I had. I used an unspecified bagseed seed. Primarily to Frankenstein it, and learn techniques along the way (whether male or female) I know now that it is in fact a female. Here's my starter supplies.
Soil-Scotts premium
Lighting-5 23w CFLS (6500, in flowering phase now. 2700 for veg)
Growbox-2x2x4ft
No Ph device or additional nutes. I grew with intentions to gain exp. for future grows. Anyways here are pics.
420-magazine-mobile633875133.jpg
about 2 weeks in. Mistakes were made.
420-magazine-mobile2114870905.jpg
about a month in. Getting water schedules right. You can tell.
420-magazine-mobile1089790763.jpg
just got my growbox. Fan leaves raised strong.
420-magazine-mobile38828328.jpg
420-magazine-mobile685960866.jpg

I'm using bare minimals here. I'm knowledgeable in what I need for a pro-grow, but due to money limitations I jumped right in with what I had. I used an unspecified bagseed seed. Primarily to Frankenstein it, and learn techniques along the way (whether male or female) I know now that it is in fact a female. Here's my starter supplies.
Soil-Scotts premium
Growbox-2x2x4ft
No Ph device or additional nutes. I grew with intentions to gain exp. for future grows. Anyways here are pics.

Forgot to show recent pics. These are from yesterday. My plant has been in flower for 3 1/2 weeks.
420-magazine-mobile1078998950.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1600190955.jpg
grew blindly. Didn't know it was a female until I saw white pistils all over! Whoop.

Soil-Scotts premium
Growbox-2x2x4ft

Whats up philygank215! Looks good . i have a 24"x24"x37" homemade box with 10cfl. 23w.

Sorry but I can't figure how to edit my post.

There is a time limit. For something really important, you could ask one of the staff members to help edit it, but what you did (post a correction) is generally fine.

I am using 2700L for my flower stage. Not 6500 like I posted earlier. Sorry again.

I was about to ask if you'd posted it backwards, lol. BtW, some folks will mix them 25%/75% (emphasis still on ~2,700K for flowering and ~6,500K for vegetative, though). This can help keep things from being too compact during the vegetative phase, and from stretching too much during the flowering phase.

BtW, those CFLs that have a plastic "globe" around them? Not really helpful, in terms of useful light vs. electricity used. And it and the others that are sitting on the floor, pointing upwards? They're mostly just illuminating the side of your pot, which seems pointless to me (unless it's too cold in there and you're trying to raise the temperature of the medium, I guess). And speaking of wasted light... Those "Y" sockets aren't as helpful as you might think - since the vast, overwhelming majority of the light produced by a CFL comes from the side of the bulb, not the top (and certainly not the base). Therefore, you want the bulb to be orientated sideways, parallel to the leaves' surfaces. And you can improve on that by constructing simple reflectors out of aluminum drink (soda pop, et cetera) cans. The goal isn't to illuminate your floor, your ceiling, or your walls, lol, it's to illuminate your plants - specifically, the chloroplasts which convert the light to energy, and they are directly under the top surface of the leaves. So that top surface (of the leaves) is where the light needs to shine.

CFLs do not produce much light, but it'd be the same regardless of your choice of lighting type; you are paying for ALL of the light (that your bulbs are capable of producing) each month when the electric bill comes, so you might as well try to direct as close to 100% of that light onto the chloroplasts as you can. Otherwise, it's wasted money....

There is a time limit. For something really important, you could ask one of the staff members to help edit it, but what you did (post a correction) is generally fine.

I was about to ask if you'd posted it backwards, lol. BtW, some folks will mix them 25%/75% (emphasis still on ~2,700K for flowering and ~6,500K for vegetative, though). This can help keep things from being too compact during the vegetative phase, and from stretching too much during the flowering phase.

BtW, those CFLs that have a plastic "globe" around them? Not really helpful, in terms of useful light vs. electricity used. And it and the others that are sitting on the floor, pointing upwards? They're mostly just illuminating the side of your pot, which seems pointless to me (unless it's too cold in there and you're trying to raise the temperature of the medium, I guess). And speaking of wasted light... Those "Y" sockets aren't as helpful as you might think - since the vast, overwhelming majority of the light produced by a CFL comes from the side of the bulb, not the top (and certainly not the base). Therefore, you want the bulb to be orientated sideways, parallel to the leaves' surfaces. And you can improve on that by constructing simple reflectors out of aluminum drink (soda pop, et cetera) cans. The goal isn't to illuminate your floor, your ceiling, or your walls, lol, it's to illuminate your plants - specifically, the chloroplasts which convert the light to energy, and they are directly under the top surface of the leaves. So that top surface (of the leaves) is where the light needs to shine.

CFLs do not produce much light, but it'd be the same regardless of your choice of lighting type; you are paying for ALL of the light (that your bulbs are capable of producing) each month when the electric bill comes, so you might as well try to direct as close to 100% of that light onto the chloroplasts as you can. Otherwise, it's wasted money....
Hey torturedsoul! Could you check out my setup and tell me what you think please. If you go to the introduce your self forum if you see my post " im back with pics" it explains my setup and has pics

Back
Top Bottom