Canadian first time grower!

TJTrouble

Hello folks!

I am looking to start growing, and am already researching on the daily for the information I need for a solid first grow.

I am currently using medical cannabis and have dabbled in recreational use for many years, albeit lightly. Since being prescribed medical cannabis I'm finding more of an appreciation for cannabis culture, and the ins and outs of growing.

I have been an aquarium and vivariums hobbyist for many years, and have always been fascinated with growing plants and corals. A lot of what I understand of lighting and nutrient uptake etc. seems to easily translate over to growing cannabis, which makes it all the more alluring to me.

However, all of my brand knowledge only applies to those hobbies, as grow light manufacturers are different, and I have no experience with these brands. I am hoping that this fantastic community can help me weed through the rubbish and find the worthwhile gear. Not breaking the bank on this first grow is paramount as I intend to scale up if everything goes well.

So far I'm looking at a 24 x 24 x 48 tent, Viparspectra grow LED, and thinking of sticking with soil to keep things simple for this first grow, and moving to hydroponics afterwards.

I personally use CBD heavy strains that are low in THC (9/9, 5/7, etc) so I will likely start with a strain that will provide me with similar percentages. Recommendations welcome! I've been told Strawberry Cough is great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and provide some thoughts and feedback!

I will start a journal once I've acquired everything for the first grow. Really excited!

Hello folks!

I am looking to start growing, and am already researching on the daily for the information I need for a solid first grow.

I am currently using medical cannabis and have dabbled in recreational use for many years, albeit lightly. Since being prescribed medical cannabis I'm finding more of an appreciation for cannabis culture, and the ins and outs of growing.

I have been an aquarium and vivariums hobbyist for many years, and have always been fascinated with growing plants and corals. A lot of what I understand of lighting and nutrient uptake etc. seems to easily translate over to growing cannabis, which makes it all the more alluring to me.

However, all of my brand knowledge only applies to those hobbies, as grow light manufacturers are different, and I have no experience with these brands. I am hoping that this fantastic community can help me weed through the rubbish and find the worthwhile gear. Not breaking the bank on this first grow is paramount as I intend to scale up if everything goes well.

So far I'm looking at a 24 x 24 x 48 tent, Viparspectra grow LED, and thinking of sticking with soil to keep things simple for this first grow, and moving to hydroponics afterwards.

I personally use CBD heavy strains that are low in THC (9/9, 5/7, etc) so I will likely start with a strain that will provide me with similar percentages. Recommendations welcome! I've been told Strawberry Cough is great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and provide some thoughts and feedback!

I will start a journal once I've acquired everything for the first grow. Really excited!

Keep in mind, a 48" tall tent will only accommodate about a 24" talk plant, max

I'd suggest at least 5' or even better 6'

Another grow option is Hempy, a few threads here on it, easier than soil even , and similar results as hydro

Hello folks!

A great cbd strain I've grown was from crop kings. It was cbd Dutch treat. Not sure on the brand of light which you've mentioned and not sure of your budget. But I'd look into the mars hydro lights and I'd stick to there pro lights but reflectors are also very nice and both grow very nice plants. Another company to look into is black diamond led a new light I'm using which still in process of first grow but love it so far. My black diamond perfect sun cob took 20 something days less to veg plants to same size as my mars light.

Keep in mind, a 48" tall tent will only accommodate about a 24" talk plant, max

I'd suggest at least 5' or even better 6'

Another grow option is Hempy, a few threads here on it, easier than soil even , and similar results as hydro

Solid advice! I'll have to try and find a 24 x 24 x 72. Worst case I'll get a larger tent maybe 48 wide, and just center the light and plant for the first grow.

I'll see what I can dig up on Hempy, thanks!

A great cbd strain I've grown was from crop kings. It was cbd Dutch treat. Not sure on the brand of light which you've mentioned and not sure of your budget. But I'd look into the mars hydro lights and I'd stick to there pro lights but reflectors are also very nice and both grow very nice plants. Another company to look into is black diamond led a new light I'm using which still in process of first grow but love it so far. My black diamond perfect sun cob took 20 something days less to veg plants to same size as my mars light.

I'm trying to keep the budget under $500 all in for this grow. I am look at lights in the $100 to $250 range. I know they can easily get over $1000. Am I being unrealistic with an LED fixture in that price range?

Another option starting out is a T5 system
I started with that and had good results
Better light penetration than LED, and cheap
LED is good, but having less light for the room isn't optimal at all
Like Dark said, this money invested, in a light, is very important, try not to skimp and get the correct Watts for yer space

Another option starting out is a T5 system
I started with that and had good results
Better light penetration than LED, and cheap
LED is good, but having less light for the room isn't optimal at all
Like Dark said, this money invested, in a light, is very important, try not to skimp and get the correct Watts for yer space

Curious, how does T5HO have better penetration than LED? In what sense? I honestly ask because in aquatics, LED has far better penetration than T5HO, but less of an even blanket or spread of light, which T5HO excels at.

My other line of thinking with LED is that it costs less than T5HO over time.
Mind you, I do have both 24" 4 bulb, and 24" 6 bulb T5HO light fixtures. The bulbs are tuned for reef keeping though. Heavy in the blue spectrum 420nm up to about 470nm. Not great for flowering, but probably OK for vegetative growth if I toss in a couple red spectrum bulbs. Just hate the idea of bulb changes... they get costly.

How many bulbs of T5HO is considered sufficient for a single plant?
What kind of PAR values at the leaf are we looking for (μmol/m2/s)?

I am not against dropping a grand on a light if it is going to make a world of difference. It also sounds like the Perfectsun COB is good for a 48 x 48 tent. I am starting considerably smaller, but will definitely want to graduate to a larger tent after the first successful grow.

Thanks for the help, Scorpio420!

Seems they are very similar in penetration, I was thinking, like u said, of the blanket or spread, silly me...lol

Now I use a HPS I. My 4x4 flower tent
T5 in my veg/auto and T5 in my starter closet
In my veg/auto I have a mix of 6500k and 3000k bulbs, they seem to work real well

Just be sure the light and Watts fits yer space

I'd probably disagree with t5 having better penetration. I started with t5 also and had a lot of airy buds. I don't have scientific proof that led has better penetration just growing experiments between the 2. My led light grows just as good if not better the my 1000 hps. No t5 would come close to that. One thing that really nice about t5 type system is next to no heat. Even my 8 bulb 4 foot unit was that hot either could get away with small size computer fan and would be cheap to start. I literally just stopped vegging with my t5 as well due to fact my led grow them quicker to size I like. And I like to grow trees no sea of green for me

I'd probably disagree with t5 having better penetration. I started with t5 also and had a lot of airy buds. I don't have scientific proof that led has better penetration just growing experiments between the 2. My led light grows just as good if not better the my 1000 hps. No t5 would come close to that. One thing that really nice about t5 type system is next to no heat. Even my 8 bulb 4 foot unit was that hot either could get away with small size computer fan and would be cheap to start. I literally just stopped vegging with my t5 as well due to fact my led grow them quicker to size I like. And I like to grow trees no sea of green for me

Good info!
Here is a question. SOG VS Trees. I don't fully understand the benefit or difference.

Also, after harvest, do you keep the mother plant or is it lost in the process? Would you want to keep it or just start anew?

I was considering a viparspectra 600 for veg growth, and 4 bulb T5 added with all red spectrum bulbs during flowering since I already have that fixture. What are the chances that would be sufficient for a single plant? Again I'm not trying to knock it out of the park, just get a decent yield on a first grow before I go investing in a much larger setup.

Thanks again, you folks have been great and I really appreciate the guidence.

First purchase made. I found a hydroponics store in my area that carries the DS60 tent which is 2 x 2 x 5.5 feet tall. Nabbed it as the price was akin to similar, yet shorter tents on Amazon.

I'm still circling the LED lighting pool trying to determine what my max spend is going to be for this small tent. I can easily do a cheap $150 or $200 fixture, and supplement with my 4 bulb T5 when it comes time to flower.

The more expensive long-term options for a tent this size or larger don't jive with my long term goals of a full size grow room, so it will be extra expense now for a fixture I won't necessarily use later.

So tough to make up my mind!

Alright. Mind made up.

I'm going conservative on this first grow and budgeted $250 for lighting.

I've purchased the following lighting based on reviews of the best low end grow LEDs.

- Viparspectra 300W
- MicMol Bloombee 300W

The Viparspectra 600W has been proven out as viable, however, the common complaint being that it is heavy in the blues which is less useful for blooming.

I decided to split the difference, and get the smaller 300W, and supplement a more red fixture for blooming. Enter MicMol Bloombee. It is a new fixture from a company I am familiar with in the Aquatics industry. They tend to make solid builds, and the spectral graph on the fixture looked appropriate.

With these 2 in the tent, I should be hitting somewhere around 800 PAR at 18" or so.

This is a bit of an expirament. Probably not the smartest choice for a first time grower, but with my background in LED performance, I am fairly confident I'll finish my grow with a half decent yield for the amount I've spent.

I'll be starting a journal once everything is here and set up.

As for a strain, I may start with Strawberry Cough as it has come highly recommended for treating my symptoms.

Thanks again!

Alright. Mind made up.

I'm going conservative on this first grow and budgeted $250 for lighting.

I've purchased the following lighting based on reviews of the best low end grow LEDs.

- Viparspectra 300W
- MicMol Bloombee 300W

The Viparspectra 600W has been proven out as viable, however, the common complaint being that it is heavy in the blues which is less useful for blooming.

I decided to split the difference, and get the smaller 300W, and supplement a more red fixture for blooming. Enter MicMol Bloombee. It is a new fixture from a company I am familiar with in the Aquatics industry. They tend to make solid builds, and the spectral graph on the fixture looked appropriate.

With these 2 in the tent, I should be hitting somewhere around 800 PAR at 18" or so.

This is a bit of an expirament. Probably not the smartest choice for a first time grower, but with my background in LED performance, I am fairly confident I'll finish my grow with a half decent yield for the amount I've spent.

I'll be starting a journal once everything is here and set up.

As for a strain, I may start with Strawberry Cough as it has come highly recommended for treating my symptoms.

Thanks again!
Sounds like u have researched yer lights..nice job
The tent should be a nice start as well

Do u have seeds now? If not where do u plan on purchasing from? I may have some good suggestions.
I've smoked the strawberry cough, desent smoke

Also, how many plants are u planning on growing at once

Excited for you, it's a blast growing, very enjoyable. I was just moving some if my girls around

Sounds like u have researched yer lights..nice job
The tent should be a nice start as well

Do u have seeds now? If not where do u plan on purchasing from? I may have some good suggestions.
I've smoked the strawberry cough, desent smoke

Also, how many plants are u planning on growing at once

Excited for you, it's a blast growing, very enjoyable. I was just moving some if my girls around

No seeds yet, but I was at my local seed bank today too, and the options were staggering! Once I get the Viparspectra I will buy some seeds and start my first plant. I'm considering an auto flowering strain as well... But still really want to try strawberry cough. We shall see!

I was planning to do a single plant to start. With only a 2 x 2 footprint, I'm not sure I can comfortably do more than one plant.

I'm stoked too! This sort of project is right up my alley. I'm really into the journal as well. I Love documenting projects and taking photos, so this wool be enjoyable on many levels.

Yes that what's it's all about anyway trying what works for you and your budget. No doubt you and your lights will grow awesome bud. And if the first time doesn't work out don't get discouraged first one always rough till you get temps,humidity and everything else dial in. Good luck post a link her when you start a new journal I'll be along for the ride. Always interested to see how different leds work

I appreciate you keeping an eye on my grow. Hopefully seasoned eyes can catch any newbie mistakes I am liable to make.

I'm just starting to decide on a grow pot and medium. I actually have a large air pot here already I'd previously used to start an oak tree. I was thinking that might be a good way to go as it will keep the roots well oxygenated.

My local hydro shop has a 2 part system for fertilizing cannabis called Ganja Brands. A/B for veg, and A/B for bloom. 0.5 liter bottles and all 4 come out to about $60 CAD. Not sure what ferts should cost, but I guess it was a little steeper than I expected for a single grow. Clerk said that will likely only last 1 grow on 1 plant. My line of thinking was prefab cannabis specific ferts would make things easier for a first grow, but I guess that comes at a cost. What do you recommend? Is that pretty standard cost for ferts?

My tent has a couple ports for fans/venting. I have a temp controller I could put the fan on to vent the tent if it gets too hot, and turns off before it gets too cool. The room the tent is in is the same room my tortoise enclosure is in. The room hovers around 76 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit naturally. From what reading I've done on temps, that should be ok.

I've done some reading on air movement and the importance of blowing air across the plants leaves to simulate wind. How critical is this? A clip on fan is quite inexpensive so no big deal, but is it actually necessary and a common practice?

Man...
So many questions! Thanks again for the help.

Hi TJ. I too am a fellow Canadian. Im out west in Southern British Columbia. If you want to try soil check out Blue Sky Organics. They have a great supersoil mix as well as a feeding system/schedule. Im on my first grow in sproutling stage waiting on my PerfectSun Goliath. Im in their soil and it looks really good. The plants are loving it.

Hi TJ. I too am a fellow Canadian. Im out west in Southern British Columbia. If you want to try soil check out Blue Sky Organics. They have a great supersoil mix as well as a feeding system/schedule. Im on my first grow in sproutling stage waiting on my PerfectSun Goliath. Im in their soil and it looks really good. The plants are loving it.

Found their site!
Did you get the starter kit? For $120 if it includes everything including soil, it might be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom