Old New Guy

I was a 1970's Humboldt grower, back when they called it "sinsemilla". Saw a lot of changes, and moved back to the Bay Area in the early 1980's. Always grew outdoors or in a greenhouse. I was out of the game for many years due to the nature of my job, but now that I'm retired I have the time to devote to taking care of my little greenhouse. Have lot of knowledge regarding soils, pests and outdoor stuff, though know very little about indoor or hydroponic growing.

I was a 1970's Humboldt grower, back when they called it "sinsemilla". Saw a lot of changes, and moved back to the Bay Area in the early 1980's. Always grew outdoors or in a greenhouse. I was out of the game for many years due to the nature of my job, but now that I'm retired I have the time to devote to taking care of my little greenhouse. Have lot of knowledge regarding soils, pests and outdoor stuff, though know very little about indoor or hydroponic growing.

Old new gal here too...looking forward to seeing what you come up with! My experience has been growing fruits, vegetables and flowers and come from a long line of farmers. I experimented with a bag seed late spring and ended up with a beautiful 8 foot tall sativa in my back yard. I am hooked!!! Not sure why growing has never occurred to me, lol. Found 420 and am amazed at all the the grows, knowledge and cool community peeps here. Welcome ..-.

I have a small 8X8X6 greenhouse that comfortably grows 4 big plants (I would of made it bigger, but anything over 100 Sq feet involves permits, and I don't want to deal with county inspectors). In retrospect I should of made it a little taller, since I often have to bend the tops down to keep them off the ceiling and mold free. I have a nearby soil company, so I use good soil, and there is also a dairy close to me that sells composted manure for $10 a truckload, I use that sparingly in the greenhouse, but I use a lot of it in my vegetable garden. Last year I got a decent yield, but had a late season problem with the dreaded spider mite, that probably caused a drop in potency and yield. This year a couple weeks before planting I sprayed the greenhouse out with Permethrin, and dipped the clones in Mitewash before planting, so far this year no problems and I'm well into the budding cycle. I grow basically for my wife, who has moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. Most of last years crop was turned into bubble hash, though I did keep the A grade bud for smoking. I need to get a good recipe for topical ointments.

Always grew outdoors or in a greenhouse.

Were the greenhouse grows under artificial light? If so, do you think there is a difference in the final taste (terpenes) of artificial light vs. sunlight? I have not had the chance to do outdoor growing yet. But I do lots of other gardening: fruits, veggies, etc. Fruit in my greenhouse can't even begin to compare with the same grown in sun - makes me wonder if cannabis reacts the same way and in some respects - you can't duplicate what real sunlight can do.

Thoughts?

Never grew under lights, always used sunlight, with the advances in artificial lighting I doubt there's too much difference now. Back when I first started growing incandescent grow lights were all that was available, they produced tall plant with few leaves, lots of stems and scraggly buds. I plant in May-June, harvest in Late Sept to early November. I did try a short lived indoor experiment using a 6X54 watt T-5 aquarium hood that I used on a salt water aquarium, turned out the lights were waaay too powerful and it burned the plants to a crisp, not from heat, but because of the actinic lights that were designed to grow hard corals at a 2 ft. depth supplied too much energy. If I changed out the lights it would probably work fine.

Thanks Phytoplankton! We do T5's all the way - veg and flower. Planning to move next year and will probably build out a room for flowering bigger plants. I'd like to try LEDs.

What T5 bulbs do you use? I was thinking about growing indoors this winter. Only downside of natural light growing is you can't do it in the winter!

Plantmax is the brand use most often; easy to find and decent price. Growing in cabinets - small box (veg/mother plant) has 6 2' full spectrum; flower box is roughly 4' x 2' - 4' bulbs x 8/red spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom