Old Biddie Growing 1st Plant

WickedWench

Hello all,

I put the horse before the cart and posted in the bud stage forum with my woes.

ANYhoo, I'm an old timer, born in 1957 - back in the "home grown nickel bag" days. Had some unpleasant weed-related legal stuff back in the 70's - so cut WAY back.

These days, I'm the very occasional smoker. Our current home is basically on ledge, so all my plants (flowers, veg, herb) are grown in pots on our deck. ANYhoo, I thought for sure that personal use & growing was going to be legalized in Vermont this year - so I decided to try my hand at weed. (When it wasn't, my one "Precious" was looking far too robust to destroy - so taking my chances.)

So...my problem: My plant reeks unpleasantly of ammonia on touch. I have no idea what this strain is, so possibly it's a "Cat Piss" variant - per my Google research - no idea. When she began to bud, I began using FoxFarm Tiger Bloom, but knowing frost is coming - started flushing it with plain water a couple of weeks ago.

It's really a nasty smell - not the pot of my dreams. Looking for ideas, solutions, whatever.

Any good resources for a new grower / harvester appreciated as well. I've googled my ass off and seem to have found a lot of good info. The nasty ammonia smell though - I'm not finding - other than as a mold issue with curing weed.

As I said on my earlier post - apologies for questions that probably have been answered elsewhere. I did try to search the forums, but didn't really find an answer.

Thank you!
WickedWench of Vermont

Hello all,

I put the horse before the cart and posted in the bud stage forum with my woes.

ANYhoo, I'm an old timer, born in 1957 - back in the "home grown nickel bag" days. Had some unpleasant weed-related legal stuff back in the 70's - so cut WAY back.

These days, I'm the very occasional smoker. Our current home is basically on ledge, so all my plants (flowers, veg, herb) are grown in pots on our deck. ANYhoo, I thought for sure that personal use & growing was going to be legalized in Vermont this year - so I decided to try my hand at weed. (When it wasn't, my one "Precious" was looking far too robust to destroy - so taking my chances.)

So...my problem: My plant reeks unpleasantly of ammonia on touch. I have no idea what this strain is, so possibly it's a "Cat Piss" variant - per my Google research - no idea. When she began to bud, I began using FoxFarm Tiger Bloom, but knowing frost is coming - started flushing it with plain water a couple of weeks ago.

It's really a nasty smell - not the pot of my dreams. Looking for ideas, solutions, whatever.

Any good resources for a new grower / harvester appreciated as well. I've googled my ass off and seem to have found a lot of good info. The nasty ammonia smell though - I'm not finding - other than as a mold issue with curing weed.

As I said on my earlier post - apologies for questions that probably have been answered elsewhere. I did try to search the forums, but didn't really find an answer.

Thank you!
WickedWench of Vermont

Pics help alot

Also what dirt and what other nutes beside TB

Okay, second only at my lack of skill at growing my weed, is my lack of photography skills. ANYhoo, here's some photos just now.

Potting soil for dirt - nothing other than the Tiger Bloom.

Thank you for your response. (I know that long time posters in any type of forum get really annoying by newbie posts, but hey.) :)

Well then.....how does one post images here? I looked for an upload from computer and nada.

Okay, second only at my lack of skill at growing my weed, is my lack of photography skills. ANYhoo, here's some photos just now.

Potting soil for dirt - nothing other than the Tiger Bloom.

Thank you for your response. (I know that long time posters in any type of forum get really annoying by newbie posts, but hey.) :)

Well then.....how does one post images here? I looked for an upload from computer and nada.
Top row left side says gallery, scroll down says upload...

We like newbie questions, just need all the info to help ya

Sheesh....you'd think I was stoned now - as long as it took to figure that upload out.

That said, they're uploaded - though not properly edited - didn't rotate the sideways photos, in my haste. Now to figure out how to link the damned things.

Cannabis Plants

Gah! Yer killin' me! ;)

Okay - they're in my gallery. Let me see if I can upload them to this post.
Prescious - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Crossing my fingers & hoping for the best.

Ok its easy.....

when yer typing yer message
V
V
V
right there it says MY PHOTOS

click that, and you can add them to yer Post

Oky Doky Smoky

Easy peasey

Yer not linking to them, ya actualy insert em thru the MY PHOTOS tab

P101000762.JPG
P101000665.JPG
P101000563.JPG
P101000460.JPG
P101000362.JPG

Yeah looks nice and big! Definitely a good thing =) maybe there is a cat pissing around with your plant? Ive never read or heard about the cat piss smell problem, maybe it is a new strain =D

Daaaaayum! Not bad for a first try, not bad at all. Might be racing against time for full flower maturity before cooler, damper weather sets in bringing mold problems. But....daaaayum!

ETA: cat piss smell - wash your hands. Fondle the flowers a bit. Do your hands smell like cat piss? If so I'm thinking its the strain you are growing. There are some strains with, IMHO, less than desirable smells.

Thank you Pharmgreen. Glad you enjoyed the post - even if it was a newbie circus. ;)

I had been watering Precious with straight up water for the last couple of weeks - but just as a regular "watering". After the atrocity of its stench, I absolutely flooded / flushed the pot twice. (In case it was the TigerBloom making the nastiness.)

So....this evening - flushed again. Ran my fingers over the sticky-ass buds and was left with a rather pleasant scent. Not quite what I thought that growing weed should smell like - but still - what do I know? Smells kinda sweet, citrusy, piney. Still don't know if that's what it's supposed to smell like - but at least it no longer grosses me out.

Hopefully out of the stench-woods.

Now onto harvesting & curing crises! ;)

Sorry AinWA - missed this post. Thank you for your input!

Per below - smells around the house have improved. (Whether due to serious pot flushing - or my paranoid imagination - not sure.) But hoping all is well!

Yes, worried about the impending frost and maturity. I've been googling like a madwoman about "ripeness". "Precious's" trichomes are milky now. The pistols though, are still mostly white. Though I've read conflicting info - evidently the plant can be harvested at "milky trichome" stage - though not ideal - better to wait for mostly amber? Oy vey. In any case - once frost hit - guess she's being harvested. "READY OR NOT - HERE I COME!"

Back
Top Bottom