Hello 420 People

GrEeNdAyZ

Good morning all,

I'm a little out of order as I posted for the first time yesterday but then figured I'd hit the reset button and formally introduce myself here.

I have been a regular reader of the 420Mag forums for more that two years. I've read many, many of your grow journals. I enjoy a lot of the DIY discussions. I have followed discussions of CCO, edibles and different methods of consumption, dosages and uses. Some of these threads are 100's of pages and span multiple years. I have read them start to finish. I have watched you win, I was there when you failed. I have seen people get better and I have been there when members have died. Many times I have had tears streaming down face. You have also made me laugh uncontrollably and feel a great sense of pride. There are a number of members that I feel I know quit well and hope to call you friend one day.

This is me,
I'm a 45 year old proad Canadian. I live in the Niagara Region of southern Ontario. I'm a father of three, 13, 23 and 25. Two boy's and my baby girl in the middle. Divorced once, happily married now for more than 15 years(well in the state of Nevada anyway).

I never finished high school. Being a dad at 20 is expensive. I have never not had a job, sometimes I had 3. I have worked in multiple trades. There are not many vehicles or pieces of heavy equipment that I have not operated. I was an IT Profesional in the late 90's through the hole Y2K thing and in 1999 I literally spent 38 nights in my own bed as I traveled back and forth across Canada multiple times preparing a Corporate Enterprise for Jan. 1, 2000. I can still upright an overturned tractor trailer by myself. I've worn a suit 6 days a week for years. I have started a few business and lost money. I have also been very, very lucky at times and been successful.

I've been retired for 3 years now. I retired from the Property and Casualty Insuance business. I had built up my own brokerage and was able to sell my business to another brokerage. This was all just luck.

This is going to sound weird since most members here smoke their cannabis. I have had to retire, sell my business and down size everything I have accumulated because I have lung disease requiring a lung transplant. Specifically I have Alpha1 Antitrypsin(A1AT) related Emphysema. Today my lung function is less than 20% of what it should be. When I first retired I was playing golf and walking the course 4 or 5 times week. I have played twice this year, riding in a cart and found it really hard. Two or three swings on the range and I have to sit down to catch my breath. My youngest son plays football, I can only toss the ball a couple times for him before becoming breathless...that sucks! So you know, I'm not yet on the transplant list but have been working hard all summer and expect to be listed by Christmas.

Please don't join my pity party! I was told 6 years ago to get ready for this. I continued to smoke cigarettes after being told bluntly that it was equivalent to drinking a cup of acid every cigarette. I have been smoke free for 3 years now.

There is pain associated with my condition plus I got down on myself. So in my own wisdom I decided to self medicate with alcohol and opioids. I was predisposed to addiction, long family history. I did a 30 day inpatient rehab in Indiana when I was 18...this time was way worse. To stop the shakes enough to place a golf ball on the tee on the first hole would take 10/12 drinks/beers prior to 8am. My drug addiction got so bad that at one point I was stealing meds from my father in-law that was dying of lung cancer. Yes I'm a dick.

I have researched addiction for my own knowledge for years and know way more than any lay person should. I beat my drug addiction with another drug called suboxone. Have been drug free for three years. Stoped taking suboxone almost two years ago.

I have read the AA handbook many times and referred to it again to get sober. I've been sober for 20 months now. It came with a price though. 20 months ago I presented at the hospital with pneumonia (get them all the time), a bleeding aneurism in my belly and going through withdrawals. I had a seizure in the ER separating my shoulder in the process. My family doc, whom is awesome, did the right thing and had my drivers licence suspended. She's tried to help me for years with my addictions. So I still don't have my DL back...the breathing meds I take produce the exact same results in a blood test that alcoholism does. It's been explained in writing to the MTO but I'm stuck in a bit of an endless loop...no big deal though...I don't like doing it but if I have a Dr. Appointment (weekly now) and I can't get a ride, I drive myself.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I should be healthier than I am today or may have already had my lung transplant and could be with my buddies at the golf course right now if I wasn't such an idiot. The only person responsible for where I'm at today is me, myself and I. On the flip side, if you have ever delt with addiction you'll get this, I'm hugely proud of myself!!! Dude, I'm awesome!

So I don't drink or smoke or do drugs anymore. I can't smoke weed either. My Doc's are supportive of cannabis though. Understand that I have a large medical team and right up to the transplant surgeons are aware of my use of cannabis and that I still vape. They would prefer however that I end all inhalation use. I think I know an awful lot about the benefits of medical marijauna but the professionals I see regularly know way more than I. So I have to agree that some form of ingestion is best for me. When I hear people talk negatively about the medical community and MJ, I have to shake my head and politely disagree.

I have always be a physical person and an athlete. Unfortunately now anything physical is hard. Shaving my face requires planing, a chair and more than likely the use of a rescue inhaler. So through gardening I have been able to keep busy with a hobbie. I do grow more than just weed though. Fruits, veg and flowers. I posted in a thread yesterday, I call my yard my oasis! It really is! For a small yard any direction you look there is something to see. In the ground, on the fences, hanging from my pergola are plants. 95% of my garden is in containers, on wheels. My wife and kids do all the heavy lifting. They set me up on a stool with everything I need within reach. The heaviest thing I have to move is my 1 gallon watering can when I feed my plants. To feed two gallons to each of my two MJ plants takes me about an hour or so by the time I mix and adjust PH. I do a lot of sitting. I once tried to mix up a 5 gallon pail of nutrients but then had to have my 13 year old feed for me because I couldn't move it. What a tool I am eh!

I try to start as much as I can from seed for my garden as I did with my White Widow and Gold Leaf. As I posted yesterday as well, both my plants are featured specimens in my landscape. I just have them out in the middle of my garden doing their thing alongside more conventional fruits, vegetables and flowers.

Before I show you my attempt at growing, please accept my apology for being so long winded. I have always had diarrhea of the mouth. I'm sure it will happen more often than not around the forums.

And a thank you to the awesome 420 community for all you share. Every corner of my garden, from my tomatoes to my strawberries and all my flowers have been a success due to the knowledge I have gathered from all of you!

My plants from 10:30 this morning, sorry if their bit blurry...meds give me the shakes.

Gold Leaf
IMG_014559.JPG
IMG_014669.JPG

White Widow
IMG_014755.JPG

IMG_014871.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom