Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

Hello 420 Friends. :peace:
In the few months since joining, I've been surprised at the interest in outdoor gardens and decided to share mine. I recently started LED garden and completed the 1st grow. The 2nd is underway (barely). I'll adding a mini review of the completed LED grow and pick up with the 2nd as it goes along.

Your comments, advice, critiques, info, general banter & camaraderie will be welcome.

Location is 37º north. Base of foothills of inland valley. Not central valley but between coast and central valley. Very hot during outdoor grow season. Best when coastal fog comes in at night and cools the days.

Growing style is organic in the ground and in soft pots. I'm interested in and respect all grow styles, but have moved more and more in the organic/veganic direction.

Ok, ok....the strains. 818 Headband, Jamaican OG, Girl Scout Haze Cookies, Cheesedog, Lost Coast OG, Jacky White, Sage N Sour, and Northern Lights x BB auto. More on all of them later.

Seeds germinated early May indoors under T5's. Everything germinated but I lost an SnS by planting before radicle was long enough. It got confused and started growing in a circle and lost too much life energy. All were transplanted from 4" Jiffys to outdoor homes in early June.

Hardening up in shady sun before transplant.
IMG_063322.JPG

Taking off outside. Like "Where's Waldo?", 9 in there.
IMG_023339.jpg

A couple of weeks ago.
IMG_028234.jpg
IMG_073730.JPG
NLxBB_auto.jpg
IMG_029831.jpg

Yesterday
IMG_034724.jpg
IMG_035228.jpg

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

Plants are ~4' and into transition. I like to see the natural shapes that strains have. My sunlight and tall tree situation might make them a little on the slender side. I did a few supercrops and fims to each. To control height and add a little meat to the bones.

Pretty much I like to leave plants alone. After transplant into the soil mix, I keep feedings to a minimum. In 8 wks. outside, I've fertilized 4 times plus 2 teas. My soil mix has lots of ingredients but I use low amounts of each. When I feed, I keep it light. I try not to push a plant, just keep it happy and basically healthy and let her grow however she will. Just where I'm at in growing now.

Heat brutal this year. Currently in an extended heat wave, high 90's to over 100º, and more humid this year.
Plants happily enjoying morning sun.
IMG_036134.jpg

Tired out after 7+ hrs. of sun.
IMG_075324.JPG

Supercrops visible on a couple.
IMG_074619.JPG

Well, that's it for now. My hat's off to all of you whose journals I've enjoyed. There's some effort involved. Now I know.

brightlight, very nicely done, with regard to both the grow and the begining of your journal. :thumb: It appears weed likes the California sun.

Hello MightBeHigh. Thanks for dropping in & kind words . Pictures of plants in veg not that exciting so next update I'll post pictures from LED harvest earlier this month. I've been lagging on starting next LED grow. Using heat as main excuse but feeling kinda lazy lately. Enjoy that concert!

Here's a look at my indoor LED room. The Bright Light is an Illumitex DS, 520 watts from wall. 96 LED packages totaling 1536 LED diodes. It's in a 4x4 Gorilla tent along with a 6" Vortex S-line fan, and Phresh filter. Vented outside.

The Bright Light
IMG_076319.JPG

IMG_076423.JPG

Fan & Filter mounted at top. Gorilla is 8' tall and extra height is useful.
IMG_076129.JPG
IMG_076226.JPG

Tent height helped my bad back by giving me enough room to grow on top of raised tray without bending down as much.
IMG_076719.JPG

Greetings Brightlight.

I thought I'd come in bed and rest and relax a little. Those super busy threads tire me out :)

:surf:
:reading420magazine:
:byebye:

While I'm sitting here out of the Sun, I noticed a pretty character on a red background under your name.

It looks as little bit like the drumming / dancing people in the character double happiness - but under a shred roof.

Are you throwing a little garden party?

Hi Rad. Thanks for dropping in. That is Chinese character for cannabis. The older style characters look more like drawings of what the character represents than the more modern style scripts. Cannabis character depicts plants hanging upside down drying in a shed/bldg. Drying methods haven't changed for centuries!

I know what you mean about the high traffic threads. Hahaha. Hey, you're welcome anytime for a "garden party". You can try out my 4 strains from recent LED harvest. Pictures from that on my next post. Been meaning to tell you too....you killed it for a 1st time grow, congratulations on excellent growing & harvest!

Hi Rad. Thanks for dropping in. That is Chinese character for cannabis. The older style characters look more like drawings of what the character represents than the more modern style scripts. Cannabis character depicts plants hanging upside down drying in a shed/bldg. Drying methods haven't changed for centuries!

I know what you mean about the high traffic threads. Hahaha. Hey, you're welcome anytime for a "garden party". You can try out my 4 strains from recent LED harvest. Pictures from that on my next post. Been meaning to tell you too....you killed it for a 1st time grow, congratulations on excellent growing & harvest!

I should be false modest, but I must admit I love hearing that.
:)
With all the worry and mistakes and things I was not ready for, it all came out damn satisfying at harvest.

We have a 3 month supply, and another month in a few days, so that should last most of the way until next harvest.
I fell 10 weeks begins schedule next harvest... c'est la vie ... it is back on track :)

:popcorn: And I have a great seat... Front row. I can tell by those lovely plants it's going to get crowded in this journal soon.

We have a 3 month supply, and another month in a few days, so that should last most of the way until next harvest.

Along the same line, getting into indoor gardening has changed things for me. No more concern about annual outdoor yield. Now I can grow free and easy outdoors and strive for healthy plants with a singular focus....POTENCY.

Along the same line, getting into indoor gardening has changed things for me. No more concern about annual outdoor yield. Now I can grow free and easy outdoors and strive for healthy plants with a singular focus....POTENCY.

Dual focus here:

Day Time meds - get a lot done while happy with some meds effect.
Night Time meds - total body relaxation and drift off to sleep meds.

I was around half way into my first LED grow when I joined 420. Here are a few pictures of the 4 strains from that grow. I picked strains that I had multiple seeds so in case I bombed out, I wouldn't have used the last/only seed I had of a strain. Two strains were grown outside before & 2 were new.

Delahaze
IMG_070528.JPG
IMG_076924.JPG

Red Cherry Berry
IMG_077426.JPG

Ultrasour
IMG_013333.JPG
IMG_078221.JPG

Corleone Kush
IMG_080024.JPG

Subbed, I'd love to wax eloquent like in that PM I sent you, but pretty busy right now. Will catch up later :)
From the above pics, I can already tell you deserve a longer response ;)

Back
Top Bottom