OldMedUser's - 3 Strain - DWC - Soilless - ScroG - ExtravaGanja!

OldMedUser

Formerly Known as LabRat
I'm really enjoying getting to know a lot of great folks here and have been so busy posting and meeting just a small portion of you that I haven't had time to start my own grow log. So here goes.

All I'm doing right now is flowering out some plants left over from my last crop which was Xmas last. Due to health problems, collapsed lung x2 and a small stroke, I found myself falling into a deeper depression than usual and barely managed to keep what plants I have alive.

Three plants are flowering in the grow room under 2 - 400W HPS bulbs. Two in 4gal pots of ProMix HP and a revegged NL#5 x LowRyder1in DWC left over from a multi plant auto grow experiment. One of the plants in a pot is a cross of L.S.D and BlueBerry. Both from Barney's Farms. The other one is a bit of an unknown from the auto experiment. 3 net pots fell over with 4 seedlings each in them and I rescued some but the strains were mixed up. It's most likely my own Northern Mist cross that was crossed with LR1. I hope so!

My Northern Mist is Cali Mist X Northern Lights #5. Both strains I have had for over 10 years.

Details

If in Flower stage... For how long? Yes. 3 weeks today from flip.

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor

Soil or Hydro? Both

If soil... what is in your mix? ProMix HP straight out of the bale, nothing added.

If soil... What size pot? 4USgal/15L

Size of light? 2 x 400W old magnetics. An EYE Hortilx Super HPS and a SolarMax.

Is it aircooled? No

Temp of Room/cab? 70 - 78F/21 -26C

Temp of DWC nutes? Chilled to 62F/17C

Type of chiller? DIY water cooler with fountain pump in tub circulating nutes thru coil of tubing in cooler tank.

RH of Room/cab? 35 - 45%

pH of media or res? I use pH Perfect technology so don't much care or ever check.

Any Pests ? My wife.

How often are you watering? Every 4 - 5 days in the pots.

Type and strength of ferts used? AN Sensi Grow for veg, Connoisseur for flower. Strength adjusted as needed. Rhino Skin and CalMag used from day one with Big Bud and OverDrive for early/late flowering.

Now for the Gong Show

The DWC, NL5 xLR1, has been in that tub over a year. When I tried to reveg about 6 plants from my auto experiment she was the only survivor. That was last Xmas they were all cropped. I was going to just take a couple cuttings then scrap the tub but I procrastinated like usual and she turned into a big plant. Stayed there until Early July then I decided to flower her so cleaned out the year old nutes and filled with fresh RO water, a good dose of peroxide and 1/4 strength nutes.

She did not like that and looked like this the next day.

DyingGirl01.JPG

I have never had any plant go into such a state of shock ever. I put her off to the side in lower light and misted her a couple times daily for a while and after a couple weeks some of the still living grow tips started turning up. I gave her some more nutes, cleaned out all the dead growth and squeezed her into the screen. All the plants were already 3 ft tall when I lowered the screen down and wiggled the branches carefully through and lashed them down. Very little damage but not the way I like to do my ScroGs.

Three weeks today from flip and here's what I have so far. Sorry for the lousy pics but I have to sneak in and take flash photos in the dark or it's the awful HPS yellow crap.

Left side of the screen. The lighter coloured plant in front and all up the left is the NL5, DWC girl. She's not lashed down just HST'ed into shape. The darker green behind is the L.S.D.xBB. Most of it is hidden.

ScrogLtSide01.JPG

This is the right side. The lighter, taller parts are the NL girl again, behind and to the right is the mystery girl. At the very back near the center a small gap can be seen. The darker buds to the left are the BBx ones.

ScrogRtSide01.JPG

Now the whole thing from a bit back.

ScrogWhole01.JPG

I amazed at how well the NL girl is doing after her close brush with death. And to think I was going to write her off and toss her. I expect to get at least 2oz off her and the way she is starting to sugar up close to that in sugar trim. I have a cutting of hers that's 27" tall now and getting bushy as hell. Pic to follow.

I didn't have to lollipop the other girls. After 7 months of neglect and many times drying right out until they looked like the dying NL girl all the lower growth and much of the top growth died and was removed. Good for another 4oz together I guesstimate.

This is the NL clone that lives upstairs and spends her days in the great outdoors soaking up the rays. She also soaked up some thrips that I have been beating back with twice daily search and destroy missions. Down to finding only 2 or 3 each time then today was hunting and saw a couple of suspicious little dots on an old fan leaf I was removing. Took it inside to get a closer look with the 30X scope and it was a f'n spider mite! God-diddely-dang-it!

Went down in the basement and found my old bottle of Neem oil I've never had to use. It had turned into a gummy, wax like substance but a quick google said it would go liquid if sat in warm water. Worked in 5 min. I put 2.5ml of it with a couple drops of Dawn in 250mls of RO water and sprayed that girl down good. After it had dried I got my big magnifying glass and couldn't find anything living or dead. I'll hit it again on Thursday and every 3 days until I'm sure both bugs are gone and be rigging up some fluoros in my home made tent to keep her inside from now on. Like killing 2 bugs with 1 stoner! :rofl:

She was just put into this larger pot, 3gal I believe, about 36 hours ago. She is 27" tall and almost the same wide. About 3 weeks ago I topped her then a week later topped all the side branches. Now the side branches have 8 - 12 smaller branches of their own with 4 or 5 bud sites on each one of those. Well over 200 bud sites on the whole plant. Not sure what to do with her yet but she'll be huge for an indoor plant soon and the other plants won't be done until the end of Sept.

NL5Girl-170815-01.JPG

I think that's enough typing for now. Arthritis has got my hands cramping up bad. Time to medicate. :passitleft:

L8r

Looking good for three weeks. I'll be checking in omu! Thanks for the hint about your journal! :thumb:

Thanks for dropping by guys. +Reps for all!

This ain't no showcase type journal or a display of hi-tech advanced techniques but just to show that I really do grow and manage to turn out a decent product on a very low budget. I'm handy with DIY and don't care if its pretty as long as I get good results.

Like a couple weeks ago I wanted to get more light out of an air cooled hood I had up there so made a bracket to hold a mogul socket so I could fit a 150W HPS in the intake side of the hood to supplement the 400W in there. A couple pieces of metal strapping crossed with one little nut and bolt in the middle. Fold the strapping to fit over the 6" flange and a hose clamp to hold it all in place. 2 hose clamps put together as I didn't have one long enough at hand.

150W-01.JPG
150W-03.JPG

It still didn't cover the width of the ScroG so I used my old reflectors and went with 2 - 400s instead. Much better. The screen is 4' wide x 2' deep in the middle cut to fit and connect to the curved vertical screen and the plant is another 8" or so beyond the screen on the left.

The whole room could do with a thorough cleaning and paint job. We had flooding problems a year ago last spring and I had 8" of water in the basement that my sump pump couldn't deal with. Imagine walking in on this.

Flood01.jpg

Did I mention I'm a lousy housekeeper? :)

I'll likely update once a week or so and still hoping to get a better camera so I can white balance the pics to get rid of that HPS yellow and not have to go in there in the dark to take flash photos. I should have married for money. lol

Thinking hard of my next project but I think it's going to be growing out a bunch of reg/auto beans I have made to breed the ones that actually autoflower to get them more stable and more likely to be all autos. I live way north just south of 60 and autos are the only thing that will work outdoors here unless you can control the light in a greenhouse or something. We've had frost by now a few times and regular plants would just be starting to flower. Definitely frost before mid Sept.

C'ya L8r :passitleft:

Ok I've read right through now. I like it already- sort of beat up and rough around the edges but honest. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to. Pretty cool self watering grow you've got too.

I have to say when I first saw that flood picture. I really thought you took DWC to an extreme. LOL!

Oh, subbed up too. I think I might could learn a thing or 20 here. :blushsmile:

:popcorn:

Off topic but this is my thread and it's still about cannabis so up it goes.

!!! No flammable substances were used in the production of this hash !!!

I've had an oz of kif sitting around since my last crop at Xmas and about a month ago I got around to processing 3/4lb of left-over pot of fairly low grade using naphtha to make some pretty nice oil.

Today I got around to putting them together and making some nice black, gummy hash like the old Temple Ball hash from back in the late 70's. You youngsters don't know half what you missed. :)

The oil was finished up in a pyrex pie plate so I put that on a pan of simmering water to heat up. I was going to heat up that larger glass syringe and scoop 5cc of oil but thought what the hell, I'll be cropping in 5 weeks or so and I can make BHO then and have fresh kief to make much better Honey Hash.

Hash01.JPG

I didn't know how much oil was in there but I made sure to weigh the kif so I could subtract the weight of what I used from the total to know how much oil I had.

Once the oil is all nicely warmed up and runny it's time to load up some kif and mix it in.

Hash02.JPG

I'm going to be looking for a good stiff silicon mixing spoon or spatula to do the mixing That skinny SS spatula doesn't work so well when that stuff gets stiffened up.

Hash03.JPG

And there she is. 4.5cm, 1-3/4" in diameter.

Hash06.JPG

Weighing in at an impressive . . .

Hash04.JPG

I'll go into more detail about mixing and knowing how much kif goes with how much oil. This is almost exactly 2:1. kif/oil.

Not bad for using up old stuff I had laying around the house eh. :)

L8r

Wow that looks really impressive Omu. Never heard of using naptha for oil. (Lots of things I don't know as you're probably figuring out by now :) ). Hopefully it's not one of those banned on 420 subjects like bho. Does the naptha leave any residue ya think? Probably does I suppose.

I don't how it could be a problem WC. I didn't give directions how to make oil with naphtha just that I used it to make that oil.

Thanks for the head's up tho. If someone asked how I used the naphtha I probably would have done a 2 page post that got deleted and sent a cease and desist PM at least. Dodged a bullet there. :) +Rep

L8r

Back
Top Bottom