Dark Devil Auto: A Community Grow Record

image33180.jpg

image33181.jpg

I want to start accumulating data on the growing of this particular strain, the Dark Devil Auto by Sweet Seeds. I chose this strain based solely on its picture on Herbie's site, such a girl thing to do, I know, but the instinct served me well. This easy to grow strain rewarded me with the finest buzz I've grown to date. I know of one other grower on this site, bobrown14, who got the same effects that I got from my harvest, not surprising since we grow in comparable soils, based on the Clackamas Coots-style of Living Organic Soil (LOS). Reading some dud reviews of this strain convinces me that the soil choice may have been a big contributing factor to what I experienced.

This strain kept me high the entire time I smoked it. What I mean by that is that there were often spans of up to 24 hours and I was still feeling effects. Both Bob and I had borderline hallucinogenic effects. My experience was the zippy high I'd been searching for, one that had me out walking along the river or cleaning the house while I hummed a happy tune.

This is SweetSue's obsessive strain, and I'm not shy about it. It occurred to me that it might be fun to run some seeds side-by-side with others who were experimenting with the Dark Devil Auto too, and so we gathered three of us to start. This journal is open to anyone who wants to document your own Dark Devil Grow.

The Rule:

The only thing I ask is that you stop once a week and add an update of your grow, if one is in progress. I welcome any and all reposts of previous grows, should you want yours included. I will maintain the journal, so if you disappear in the middle of your grow, I'll probably come looking for you. :battingeyelashes:

That's my only rule. I want us to have fun with this. We have an opportunity to share information on the Dark Devil Auto but also on techniques on increasing the harvest yield and potency of autos. This may be a new approach to data collection on a particular strain here at 420 and I'm going to be winging it, so I ask for your patience if things get challenging. I don't anticipate any concerns.

Jump in whenever you're ready. The water's fine. :laughtwo:

image33178.jpg

I'll be following three different plants I have growing at the moment.

The first is 27 days old, growing in soil using Doc Bud's High BrixBlend kit and is part of my Tiny Pot Perpetual, planted into an azalea pot. It's a ridiculously small amount of soil volume and is running under an 11/13 lighting schedule that promotes stunted growth (exacerbated by the tiny pots) and enhances terpene development. It also is supposed to speed harvest times, although I have yet to see that happen in my own experience.

image33182.jpg

image33183.jpg

The second is also planted in Doc Bud's kit soil and is at Day 14. It's now in a one-gallon for early veg in the Tiny Closet and will be up canned within the month to a 7 gallon Geo Pot before heading into the tent.

image33184.jpg

The third plant was just dropped and isn't up yet. It's in that red cup, tucked protectively behind the Jamaican Dream. This one is planted in LOS and will finish out in the Tiny Closet under CFLs, mirroring the first grow in this closet. I have a desire to return to my roots, and this specimen will be my ticket back.

image33185.jpg

That's my brood. I don't expect anyone else to be obsessive to have multiple plants going like this. Let's have some fun.

Is it okay that my post will be just video updates of my grow? That is how I do my journals. I might be able to take the time to photo this strain.

I have it growing in 100% rockwool.

Sounds good. This is one of my girlfriend's most favorite strain even better then most all photos l.

I loved the colors you got in yours. Mine didn't have the intense color, but it had the intense high, and that's what really mattered.

This is a strain that really interests me -- if you don't mind, I'll watch what happens!

You're more than welcome to watch. Please, jump in on the discussions at any time.

Is it okay that my post will be just video updates of my grow? That is how I do my journals. I might be able to take the time to photo this strain.

I have it growing in 100% rockwool.

Absolutely. I don't have any real restrictions other than I'm seeking data. So even my one rule isn't really a rule. :laughtwo: My goal is to get people excited about this strain. Quite frankly, it blew me away. I knew I couldn't be alone in my excitement.

Subscribed SweetSue, I'll be "Shadow Lurking" :;)::love:

Your shadow brings me joy. Welcome. :hug:

Subbed. If you say it's that good I might give it a try next grow. Looks to be Jack herer x Hindu kush, interesting background. Never seen so much purple.

It really is that good, when grown properly. I suspect that my superior effects had much to do with my soil, but I'm also certain that any method, carefully executed, will give incredible results because something in the breeding of this strain hit tones that are surprising. I was not expecting a zippy high with a low-level tremor of kenetic energy bubbling below the surface. I can't wait to harvest the next one.

I've decided I'll be harvesting about one a month. I'm looking for my best method. I grow in two different soil mixes, in both tiny and large pots and under both 11/13 from seed to harvest and 18/6 veg, flipped to 11/13 for flower, and I have a closet I can run at 18/6 all the way through under CFLs. I have many options to explore. By the time I work through my initial 14 seeds I'll have a good idea of how I can get the most out of my grow.

It really is that good, when grown properly. I suspect that my superior effects had much to do with my soil, but I'm also certain that any method, carefully executed, will give incredible results because something in the breeding of this strain hit tones that are surprising. I was not expecting a zippy high with a low-level tremor of kenetic energy bubbling below the surface. I can't wait to harvest the next one.

I've decided I'll be harvesting about one a month. I'm looking for my best method. I grow in two different soil mixes, in both tiny and large pots and under both 11/13 from seed to harvest and 18/6 veg, flipped to 11/13 for flower, and I have a closet I can run at 18/6 all the way through under CFLs. I have many options to explore. By the time I work through my initial 14 seeds I'll have a good idea of how I can get the most out of my grow.

Very excited to see the different results. I might have to jump on board the high brix train. My soil mix (Coots recipe) needs some tweaks still though. My NLxBB has a progressing Mg deficiency, though it may just be the long veg to blame.(53 days so far) Or the LEDs requiring more Mg. Gonna try some Epsom salts if they're safe for LOS. And increase dolomite lime for future generations.

Back to purple devil. What did the trichromes look like when you harvested it? Around 50/50 cloudy/clear, or did some Amber peek in?

Very excited to see the different results. I might have to jump on board the high brix train. My soil mix (Coots recipe) needs some tweaks still though. My NLxBB has a progressing Mg deficiency, though it may just be the long veg to blame.(53 days so far) Or the LEDs requiring more Mg. Gonna try some Epsom salts if they're safe for LOS. And increase dolomite lime for future generations.

Back to purple devil. What did the trichromes look like when you harvested it? Around 50/50 cloudy/clear, or did some Amber peek in?

I grow in CC-style LOS too, and it takes too long to get amber. I harvest when I feel they're "Done". Usually that's almost completely cloudy. Probably a contributor to that zippy high, huh?

I grow in CC-style LOS too, and it takes too long to get amber. I harvest when I feel they're "Done". Usually that's almost completely cloudy. Probably a contributor to that zippy high, huh?

Yeah my fast and Vast has about 3 different highs based on trichromes. Mostly clear leaves me wanting to move constantly. 30% Amber is relaxing but no couch lock. And my 75% Amber plant is a sleeping pill. I never would have expected so much variance in one strain before growing myself.

This is my Dark devil auto.
DSC_10474.JPG

can't see her? Neither can I.
She was pre soaked in water for 12 hours then put directly into her final 1 gallon pot on Monday evening. she will stay in this pot till the end as I don't have much room in my 24"x24"x36"h box.
Soil is biobizz allmix and food will be biobizz grow and bloom.
Light is supplied by the 400w marsll.

This is my Dark devil auto.
DSC_10474.JPG

can't see her? Neither can I.
She was pre soaked in water for 12 hours then put directly into her final 1 gallon pot on Monday evening. she will stay in this pot till the end as I don't have much room in my 24"x24"x36"h box.
Soil is biobizz allmix and food will be biobizz grow and bloom.
Light is supplied by the 400w marsll.

:rofl: This made me giggle.

Anything with Susan's name on it, the Birdman is close behind.

Let's see some Dark Devils!!!

I let my Dark Devil go extra long and it was still all spacey head high. The trichomes on mine were very dark amber/purple at the base, then cloudy, then tops were cloudy and many were so amber they also looked bright purple.

Gonna be lurking here guys.... you know I roll with the autos just yet to grow a dark devil due to yield.... they seem to average on the small side. . Maybe I'll double pot 2 in a 7 gal soon?.....

Here's a little link for non organic auto growers ....

A-Train's new proven Autoflower feeding schedule and growing tips

If this is not OK sue let me know I'll delete it

I let my Dark Devil go extra long and it was still all spacey head high. The trichomes on mine were very dark amber/purple at the base, then cloudy, then tops were cloudy and many were so amber they also looked bright purple.

How much longer did you run it? I loooove the spicy head high. LOL! I think I'll let one of mine go extra long, maybe the middle one. I'll be planting more anyways. I need to get jars of it in reserve so I can focus on learning some of the better Sativas.

I'm so glad you joined us here. Your buds were so amazing looking. Was this your first time growing it?

Back
Top Bottom