Small 1st Grow Already In Progress Using LEDs To Flower & T-5s For Veg

Hi all,
New to this so please bear with me and I will do the best I can.
WHAT STRAIN IS IT?
1st Week of Flower completed
1- Mango (Hybrid).... Parents = Mango (Indica) +KC33 (Hybrid)
1- Power Wreck (Hybrid).... Parents = Power Plant + Train Wreck
1-Lemon Sour Diesel (Hybrid)... Parents = California Sour + Lost Coast OG

In the Veg tent =
1- Mango
3-Power Wreck
1-Betty

All plants are from 3 clones I bought from a local dispensary except the Betty which was a clone from a friends mother. He gave me 3, I kept 1 for myself and gave 2 to my brother who is also growing.

Flowering plants are exactly 9 days into flowering
Vegging plants are from 12 days old to 4 days old depending on each plant.

Indoors or outdoors?
Indoors. Flowering in 5x10x6.5 tent Veg in 4x4x6.5 tent.

Size and type of Light?
Flowering with 2 non-sponsor LED's 1 was a freebie from my neighbor (used) 357 watts and 1 325 watt (New)
Also running a Flourescent 4 foot T-5 HO 8 lamp fixture angled on 1 side with 6 red spectrum lamps and 2 blue spectrum lamps.
Vegging with 1 4 foot T-5 HO 8 lamp fixture running 8 blue spectrum lamps.

Temp of the tents?
Flowering tent = 72 to 80 degrees
Veg tent = 74 to 85 degrees

RH?
Flowering tent = 43 to 57%
Veg tent = 48 to 60%

Any pests?
Yes! A few days after my friend dropped off the Betty I found a few spider mites on its leaves in my Veg tent. I imediately mixed up a batch of Neem oil and went to work on all the plants in the Veg and Flower tent. Then I stripped all fan leaves off the Betty which showed any sign of those little bastards and did the same with all the rest in the veg tent. I am pretty sure I stripped more then needed but would rather stunt there grow a bit then deal with missing a hatchling. I have followed up with another spraying 3 days latter and also quarantined the Betty. I check them daily now with a microscope and it appears to be a done deal but will continue checking religiously every day. It has been 12 days now since I first saw anything and have not found any signs as of yet. Will be switching to AzaMax for the next application if needed.

Type of Nutrients and strength?
I am using FF and following their feeding chart.

Pot size?
In Flower=
Lemon Sour Diesel and Power Wreck are in 7 gal. cloth pots while the Mango is in a 5 gal. cloth pot.
In Veg=
Varies from 4 inch plastic pots to 1 gallon plastic to 3 gallon cloth.

Medium =
FF Ocean Forest potting soil.

Ventilation?
Flowering tent = 6x24 Can Carbon filter with a vortex VTX-800 fan controlled by a TMP-DNe controller for exhaust and a 4 inch inline fan for fresh air. I also have 1 12" oscillating fan running and thinking I will get at least 1 more fan for horizontal air movement.
Veg tent = 1 fan for horizontal air movement aimed just above canopy and bottom of lights. I keep 2 of the 3 bottom air vents open at all times and also keep top vent holes open for rising heat to escape.

Watering?
This one was the hardest to get a handle on. As of right now, I am using 3 quarts of water or water plus nutrients every 3 days for the 7 gal. pots where as the 5 gal. pot gets 2.5 quarts, 3 gal. pots get 2 quarts and 1 gal. pots get 1 quart. These numbers will change as the girls thirsts increase, but for now this is working for me. I only apply nutrients every 3rd watering so it tends to screw up my feeding chart that FF suggests.

Summary
I did an outdoor grow which was fun but now its fall and time to move indoors. This will be my 1st indoor grow since the 1980's. I have read a ton of info and researched a lot of ways to increase quality and quantities. Now its time to play around and have some fun. I have 2 plants under a Scrog, 1 of which I will lollipop and one which I will not. I also have one which I did a lot of LST on and topping when it was smaller which will be my stand alone plant. Perhaps next year when I can afford more lights I will grow bigger but for now this is all I can afford (I know this fact because the wife told me so) All this fun and I can not even medicate due to the type of work I do.
Some day, yep some day they will see the light. Completely legal both medical and recreational in Oregon yet they still drug test for it for pre-employment and if I fail, no job for me. Wahhhhhh. on the bright side, I retire in 7 years and will be smoking the biggest fatties you could ever imagine. :high-five:
Now for what you really stopped by to see, some photos:

This my flowering set up
IMG_052727.jpg

Here are a few of my next grow in veg.
IMG_053526.jpg
IMG_053630.jpg

Will post more once i figure out the correct uploading of pics. I thought i had the rest uploaded but apparently not.

IMG_056234.jpg
Good morning all,
Day 10 of flowering
Next watering/feeding will be tomorrow, from the looks of the girls they should be fine till then though I will be checking in on them before it is bedtime for them.
Temps and RH have been consistent in both tents so need to make any adjustments at this point.
Getting new growth every day, and have been tucking under any that are long enough. I do this every morning.
So other then everything is coasting along on auto pilot, whats new?

I introduced lady bugs into my flowering tent, meerly as a preventative measure. I have did spray Neem oil on my veg tent a 2nd application 4 days after the 1st application, and have not seen any new signs of those lil bastards.

I am seeing bud developement starting on all three plants in flower.

I will need to pot up a few clones today, only wish they would all develop at the same rate so I could be done with it and put the cloner away for a while. Also need to think about transplanting a few out of 1 gal. pots into something bigger, though depending on how motivated I get, that may be a project for tomorrow.

Installing a 4 foot 8 lamp t-5 ho with 6 red spectrum lamps and 2 blue to supplement the LEDs I am presently growing with. Will be mounting it at an angle from the side.

I started a pre-lollipop on 2 plants, one which I will do the traditional lollipop and remove the whole lower 1/3 of the plant under the SCROG and the other which I will be removing only the bud sites and leaving the leaves on. This is a test I am doing, this is only a test. If this was an actual emergency.. oh wait.. sorry my OCD was kicking in.

At this phase of my growing I really do not care much as far as yield goes. Sure I want more but heck if I can learn something 1st hand it 1/2 the fun for me since I can not partake.

Final lollipop will happen at the end of week 2 of flower.

Now for a few pics
Some pre-lollipoping
IMG_055830.jpg

more pre-lollipoping with fan leaves left on
IMG_055933.jpg

todays mess
IMG_056031.jpg

More new growth and the endless job of tucking in
IMG_056633.jpg

Oh yes, we have signs of flowering, let the games begin!
IMG_056430.jpg

Well all looks organized and the girls look happy and healthy so bravo! Ill sub along if ya dont mind :)
:welcome:
Please do, and if you see anything, good or bad that I am doing or that you feel is being stupid by all means please speak up and I will try to explain my logic behind why and what I am doing. I do this for fun and relaxation not yield. Least not yet.

Hello OG, nice setup :thumb: If you don't mind the extra company, I will follow along :)

:welcome::welcome:
Are you kidding me? You my friend are always welcome! This whole comunity has been great for my mental stability. Being out of work and having so much free time can actually get depressing if you do not have a hobby and people to share it with. You all are so positive!!

Life is a journey, and while some may race alone to the end, it is much more enjoyable to go slow and cross the finish line with friends.

While yield is important for me, it is a very relaxing and theraputic hoppy! Negativity is not aloud in the grow room
Obviously you can partake, which I can only say, "Lucky you":thumb: Unfortunately because of the field I work in I will not be allowed to partake until either the Union stops drug testing for it, I retire, or I am able to find work in a different field. At this juncture
in time it looks like retirement, so I have almost 7 years to stockpile bud for my retirement party. even if I get crappy yields I am thinking I will be smoking the biggest fatty you ever saw come retirement :cheer:

Lol I waste loads of my yield regularly for experimentation :) Im like you although I do partake, its the growing Im hooked on! Its now my lifes passion!

:welcome:
If no one ever experimented we would not be growing SOG or SCROG methods now. In fact, we all would have 1 grow cycle per year and desperately waiting for spring to start the next one.

For every success there are countless failures. It is the people who can deal with failure that succeed the most.

Lol that would be a world record fatty! Hopefully they wise up and stop drug testing for a legal substance. I do understand why it is necessary is some fields though. Hope u have some one to share the fruits of your labor with!

Obviously you can partake, which I can only say, "Lucky you":thumb: Unfortunately because of the field I work in I will not be allowed to partake until either the Union stops drug testing for it, I retire, or I am able to find work in a different field. At this juncture
in time it looks like retirement, so I have almost 7 years to stockpile bud for my retirement party. even if I get crappy yields I am thinking I will be smoking the biggest fatty you ever saw come retirement :cheer:

Oh this is how you do it.

Nice setup, scrogging and all that jazz.
And leds.. so modern for an oldgrower :) you like working with them?

Oh and I love that 7 year plan build up to the first megajoint.
I may be older, but I know that the way I grew back in the 80's will not cut it in todays world.
As for the LED's my neighbor gave me one of them along with a ton of other goodies to get me started. Huge shout out to him!!
As far as do I like working with them? I like that the new one I bought has the ability to switch to white light only so the colors do not drive me crazy. As for results, well only time will tell though my neighbor started out with HID's 14 years ago and while he produced big yields he said he was constantly battling high temperatures and ventilation issues till he switched to LEDs. He has been growing LED's for the last 10 years. My brother on the other hand, still stuck on the HID is the "ONLY" way to grow mentality. I went with the LEDs strictly because of the low power consumption. Granted the fixtures are more up front, and I do not own as many as I would like at this time, but I believe over time I will be able to acquire the amount of light I want to grow the way I want.

On that note, welcome to my grow and Time to do todays report.

Back
Top Bottom