Burmese Kush - CFL - First Time

1ofaKind

This is a first time grow using CFLs and THSeeds BuKu or Burmese Kush.

3 seeds. Femenized. Appeared a little small and light tone.

All 3 germinated in a paper towel.

2mm tap root appeared after 36 hours on all 3.

Planted in Jiffy Organic Seed starting mix. I presoaked it in Zepher Hills distilled water.

Germination began 6 days ago. I believe most growers use the day the seedling comes out of the soil as day 1, so today is day 4.

One seedling had the seed shell stuck on it. I misted it and pulled it off. The following morning I had to pull the leaves apart. They did not separate on their own.

Pics are on Day 4. The serrated leaves have grown the most over the past 24 hours.

Plants are about 2" tall and have not changed height since day 2.

Temps steady at 77 - 79. Humidity between 45 - 54%. I am using a cool mist vaporizer = 54%, without = 45%.

I read a lot that people put their plants 1 - 3" from the CFLs because it produces little heat.

My temps were well over 90' without a fan. with 2 fans they are down to 79'. But the lights are about 9" - 11" from each plant.

Even an inch closer and the temps rise quickly. House temp is 76 - 78.

I have had to leave the closet door open, also. Doesn't really matter to me. It gives the air a free exchange / keeps down the heat.

I have 7 23 watt CFLs @ 6500K.

I feel like this is a slow start, but I will be patient and hope for a growth explosion at some point.

I watered 2 of the plants this morning for the first time. Used a mister. Took a long time and nothing ever came out the bottom... 4" square pots.

The one that had the seed stuck on it has moisture still in the soil. Will mist that one tomorrow (soil, not plant)

That's fine OG. Do I have to do anything? I am trying to get my photos up
DSCN33815.JPG
DSCN33795.JPG

speak of the devil... perfect timing.
If you have a small fan, it will help to get some air movement across the leaves and lower your light closer to the plant. Your girls look lovely. Your RH% looks within an executable range. Now it has been years for me since I grew from seed, back in the 80's to be exact, now I grow with clones, but I run my clones as high as 85 degrees before I start getting excited. Like to keep the veg tent between 76 to 85. Perhaps a grower with more recent experience growing from seed can fine tune you to temps and RH for this early of a stage.
You ideally want the leaves on the plant to lightly dance in the breeze, this will promote healthy stem growth which you will need to support her as she starts really taking off.
I am sure from the log you started you have done your research 1st but if you ever have a question or need any help with anything feel free to ask. I am looking forward to a successful grow

Cheers

Thanks for the support.

Yes, they are gently swaying. It is a 4" clip on fan, but it just sits on the clip and a stack of books. A 4" fan does not blow a strict 4" cyclone, so I find it difficult to channel the heat up and away from the plants without putting too much wind on the plants (when the lights are closer.)

I also have a 6" fan outside the closet blowing in the cool mist. So the area has 3 sides, 2 white walls and a reflective styrofoam, but just an open door for the 4th wall.

Here are the last of my pics. Not much to see yet.
DSCN33845.JPG
DSCN33834.JPG
DSCN33826.JPG

Looks like you have a plan, working your plan and practicing patience. Sounds like a very well thought out grow so far.
They look like they are off to a good start. As for them not growing for 2 days I would not get excited this early in the game, the look healthy and are setting their roots. She will take off when she is ready.

Cheers
OG

Patience... Just ran out, OG...

Jiffy soil was dry again (not bone dry, though) so I flipped one over and saw roots at the bottom center and others down the sides to the bottom.

Decided to repot right then and there. From 4x4x3 to a 5x5x6.

Used Lamberts organic potting mix this time. Presoaked the dirt in distilled water. I did not water the dry Jiffy, hoping to urge the roots to grow out into it.

I have Vermifire organic soil. The guy at the local hydro store recommended it over Fox., It was too hot for the young roots. I'll repot with the good stuff to 8 gal when roots fill these out.

I think I'll change the lighting and fans tomorrow to blow out of the closet instead of into it and to bring the lights closer together. Temps are up to 81, but the new pots are 2" taller, also.
DSCN33915.JPG
DSCN33925.JPG
DSCN33934.JPG
DSCN33942.JPG
DSCN33953.JPG

Im here with popcorn n beer, no bowls :(

If i may say... Personal opinion, you have far too many lights at this point. Reducing the number to 3 or 4 would suffice the lil plants needs AND produce far less heat, allowing you to drop them closer to the plants. This will also help to keep them from stretching too much too soon. (unless you dont have any height worries)

I currently have 2 3week seedlings 4inches under 2 26w cfls.
DW

DW, I have so much wind / movement of the seedling as it is. I find it hard to direct the fan in a way that moves the heat away but does not shake the plants all over the place. With the bigger leaves, the shaking is worse.

I have found more lights higher up allow the fan to blow away the heat without shaking the plants too much, but still provide enough light.

My plants may be 3" tall after 1 week, but they are getting a lot of root growth. I hope they will stay short.

I am growing BUKU because it is suppose to be short, but other journals I read tell the opposite story.

Thanks.

Redid the lights. Man, what an pain. Home Depot guy made me buy 12 gauge when I asked for 18. Said I would burn my house down. That stuff was hard to work with and didn't fit very well...

Anyway, my theory worked. Fan on the back of a V8, blowing the heat from the ballasts out of the closet.

Problem is it is a little too long and I really needed some square bases for the square pots. The bases are messing up my spacing.

The reflective is lining 2 sides and I have room for growth.

All in all, if I knew CFLs were so hot and cost so much money for how many are needed and how many fixtures (the reflectors were holding too much heat...) I would have sprung for LED or HID.

Well, I'm married to it now. Pics in a min.

Back
Top Bottom