Max's First Grow - Soil - LED - Painkiller XL

MaxHeadroom

Welcome to my first ever grow. After doing a lot of research (which only makes me realise how much more I need to learn), I've embarked upon an amazing journey to grow my own, completely inspired by the journals and friendly advice I've found on 420 Magazine.

Having had three benign tumours removed from my head and in excess of 40 lots of surgery, I've been on opiates for many years. Cannabis used to help me hold down my job and minimise opiate consumption, however street strains became so high in THC that it became harder to work on cannabis than it was on morphine. I had my last joint over 5 years ago and have recently decided to grow my own so I can control the strain and take advantage of a good CBD to THC ratio. All the seeds I selected have a 1:1 ratio.

Enough with the preamble, on with the show...

Environment

Lights: Mars II 400 LED
Tent: Mars Hydro 3'3" (the 2'3" I wanted is out of stock until late January 2016)
Ventilation: A TT fan and Buddy filter is on order

Medium: Canna Terra soil

Seeds: 2 x Royal Queen Seeds - Painkiller XL
Genes: 75% Sativa 25% Indica
Potency: 7% CBD, 6% THC

The obligatory pictures

Seeds germinated in a dark box on tissue paper, placed on the heated bathroom floor

Seed20.JPG

Planted in 1l tubs and put in the grow room. Not sure why the picture is rotated as it's fine on both phone and computer.

Planted3.JPG

I suspect they don't need to be under the lights just yet and I did plan on putting them on the bathroom floor again until they popped up, but I'm testing the lights before getting to a critical stage.

Thanks for following along on my first ever grow. I'll be happy with 1oz per plant. Allegedly these plants are capable of 1lb per square metre, but I don't have enough light to cover the full area and I've got a lot to learn along the way. More on the planned grow method as things progress. Any and all comments would be very welcome.

Thanks

Max

When you take photos turn your phone sideways with the volume buttons on top. That should orient them correctly when posted. If an iPhone I think the volume buttons go to the bottom edge when taking photos. Hope that helps.

Edit: Heated floor?.....now I'm jealous. :)

Nobodies faster than Shigs, but I'm gonna tag along and learn more from both you you.

I've played with rotating pictures after taking them, but found it's just easier to shoot everything in landscape and be done with it. Changing cameras for the next grow so will play with it again then.

Edit: Apparently I'm slower than rifleman too.

When you take photos turn your phone sideways with the volume buttons on top. That should orient them correctly when posted. If an iPhone I think the volume buttons go to the bottom edge when taking photos. Hope that helps.

Hi Rifleman, all my pictures were taken portrait and appear fine everywhere but here. When uploaded some are the right orientation (most) and the occasional one is rotated.

It gets cold here and I have a slate bathroom and a marble bathroom. The slate one is lovely because of underfloor. The marble one is freezing. I've discovered a heated floor is perfect for germinating seeds :)

Max

Thanks for the advice on pictures guys.

The plan is to keep the grow relatively simple to get a baseline for learning.

Seeds got a healthy dose of mycorrhiza to help with the root structure and a small dome made of the bottom of water bottles has gone on top to increase humidity.

Nutes will be minimal, with just a bit of seaweed extract for the veg stage, relying on the soil more than additives.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to go the top or FIM approach.

SCROG is definitely on the agenda - wood and string will be used to create a frame.

In flowering there will be a bit of Old Timer Bloom (organic of course).

I really want to get a relatively simple grow under my belt before playing with nutes. One thing I have read is that CalMag is a must for LED grows. I'm still reading up on using Epsom Salts (mag only). Can anyone chip in here? Is it definitely CalMag required with LED or just magnesium?

Am I way off the mark with this approach?

Regards

You may want to try a strain named Pennywise as it has been tested and in over70=% of the tested samples contained over 20% CBD. You can find it on James Bean seed bank, it is listed on the High Times Magazine website.

Subbed! Front row baby! Link works Max.
Damn you Shiggity, you beat even RM here.:thumb:

Getting a little slow in your old age RM? I see you are not 1st :Namaste:

Nobodies faster than Shigs, but I'm gonna tag along and learn more from both you you.

I've played with rotating pictures after taking them, but found it's just easier to shoot everything in landscape and be done with it. Changing cameras for the next grow so will play with it again then.

Edit: Apparently I'm slower than rifleman too.
You are not the only one slower then those 2, holy mackerel

Good luck max I'm subbt ��

Man everyone is here before me :(

mmmm a heated floor. thats a excellent idea,, thanks for that

Hi Tokin,

It took me a long time to realise how it could be used. I started off thinking about propagators, then heating pads.. this lead to me thinking underfloor heating modules could work. As I was wondering where to put it light dawned and I realised I could use what I had. Sometimes the old brain takes a while to get there ;-)

You may want to try a strain named Pennywise as it has been tested and in over70=% of the tested samples contained over 20% CBD, you can find it on James Bean seed bank, it is listed on the High Times Magazine website.

Thanks CBDStrainMan,

If I master growing then I'll put that on my list. It certainly sounds like one worth looking at.

Cheers

Ok guys,

I'm getting impatient and can't find a definitive answer on how long it'll be from planting a germinated seed to seeing a stalk poke through the soil. Any ideas? I really have looked and watched lots of videos but they all skip from a picture of the seed to a picture of a stalk. It's been 10 hours already, shouldn't I be seeing the first buds by now? (I'm joking about buds BTW.. just in case anyone is baked and thinks I'm being serious)

i hear ya about the old head bit,,

seed to stalk above soil could take anywhere from 24hrs to 4days in my experience

So no buds in 10 hours then ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a last look for the day in an hour or so then leave them alone until the morning. I've got the Mars II on veg only for now and it's fairly close for warmth. As soon as I see a shoot I'll raise it a bit. It's probably 12" above at the moment.

So no buds in 10 hours then ;-).

Hmm, that is odd, I figured you'd be harvesting by now. Something must be wrong.

Don't tell you you've been watching them? OH no Max, they never sprout when someone is near and potentially watching.

Back
Top Bottom