My First Time Growing

Smokeater

I don't have any photos as I don't have a digital camera. But I planted 3 seeds that I have gotten out of a bag (can't afford to buy them), 2 grew and after 8 days they are about 5 inches long with the small leaves on top. I am going to find a camera but could someone also explain how to add a photo to a message please? I'm very sorry if I posted to the wrong thread, I'm just not all that computer savvy. I appreciate any help you can provide!

I've seen some pretty nice Bag Seed Plants so you should be fine. Glad to hear about the camera, and there are a thousand right ways to grow, and looks like your well on your way to finding one. One thing I noticed, is you use of Mylar on your new cabinet. Often times the shiny mylar sheets don't do as well as white paint. Other than that I look forward to following your progress.

8" is close for an LED, but if they are growing bigger leaves I would say keep them at 8" as long as they are happy.

You are making progress, the lights you have will be great to start (at least for veg.)

Growers normally divide the time of growing into 'veg' and 'flower.' I further divide my growing into early veg, where seedlings grow in small containers, and late veg, where they are transplanted into their full size container.

I don't think your chia round circles will be large enough to grow your seedlimgs to full size, so the next steps will be for you to measure the size of your chia round circles (wet) so we can guess how long you have until time to transplant.

Do you have any gardening supplies? pots, soil, fertilizer?

Tap water is not very good for most plants, mostly because of the chlorine added to the drinking water.
You should plan on putting your water into an open top jar or container one day and using the water to water your plants the next day.

Do you have a friend with a fish tank who can measure your water (PH and TDS)? The test strip kits usually sell at a pet store for $5-10, but free is better :) If you live in a place with swimming pool stores, you can also have them test your water for free - it takes less than 1 minute. Tell them it is your tap water, they will notice anyway :)

---Good luck.

Let us know how many leaves you have :)

Definitely get off the opiods -Marijuana is healing, while the opiods are destructive.

You could save enough on stool softeners to finance your next grow :)

I totally agree, That's why I started saving money 5 years ago - to get the stuff to needed to grow. I've been on the schedule 2 narc's since 2000 and luckily enough, my blood tests say I'm doing good for now, but even my pain Doc thinks I should go with MMJ (but he won't get involved in me getting it it any way), I think it's time for a new pain Doc. But thanks for the input, your 100% correct. And your right about the stool softeners! :bravo:

I've seen some pretty nice Bag Seed Plants so you should be fine. Glad to hear about the camera, and there are a thousand right ways to grow, and looks like your well on your way to finding one. One thing I noticed, is you use of Mylar on your new cabinet. Often times the shiny mylar sheets don't do as well as white paint. Other than that I look forward to following your progress.

I'm not familiar with "bag seeds plants", but the Mylar seems to be doing an awesome job of reflecting the light. My son took a peek under the opening at the bottom of my grow box (he brought the camera over, should have pics up soon!) before I could warn him and he said he was blinded by the light coming from the grow box. I explained to him how to turn it off & open it to avoid that. It's REALLY bright inside there. I'll definitely be keeping you guys up to date on how it's going. 1 question, I've read differing opinions, but is 12 on and 12 off the best light cycle?

Thank You again for everything!

Thank you for the info, I'm 52 so I know about bags, just never heard that term before. Working on getting pictures off the camera my son gave me and am really frustrated now, especially since it was my sons camera and he said he never used the camera and has no idea how to do anything with it. Gonna try rebooting and see if it finds the pics I took now. But thank You very much!!

I got the camera from my son, but now I can't seem to get the pics off the phone and onto my HD to post. I think I'm close, I can get the pic on my screen from the phone, now I just have to save it to a directory I can post from. I'm willing to bet I'll have it figured out by tomorrow. I just got so aggravated when my son said he never used it for pictures and only "aps" (SP) and couldn't help me with the pictures. But I'll figure it out one way or another. I have to turn in, I'm really tired tonight. But thank you guys for all the help! You guys are the greatest!!!! I'm 52 and not computer savvy but I am determined and WILL figure out a way to get pics up tomorrow I hope. The pics are only of 2 little plants, but I'm determined to get them up on the board if it kills me. Thanks again, and I'll write more tomorrow.

You're on the right site to get the quality help you're looking for... When I started growing just over a year ago I was completely ignorant as to how or what to do... I'm no expert but have learned quite a bit! My advise is jump on board some grow journals... We all experience issues during the grow and work to help each other out... watching, reading and talking with other growers is so beneficial... Most have their journals on the bottom of their signatures (bottom of their post). Mine is in RED. I have plenty of feminized quality seeds if you would like some, just PM me with some way to send some to you at no charge... From there you can clone (something you'll learn about as you grow) Welcome to the site again! Happy Growing!!!

1 question, I've read differing opinions, but is 12 on and 12 off the best light cycle?

Thank You again for everything!

12 on and 12 off, often written 12/12, is the cycle used to send plants into flower. Your girls being so young, they won't go into flower right away, but they will as soon as they are old enough if the light stays at 12/12. You don't neccesarily want to send your girls into flower as soon as possible, any more than you want human girls to get pregnant after their first period, but sometimes you might. Since you have a larger tent, my recommendation is to let the girls get older and larger before flower. Almost all cannabis bagseed is photoperiod - Meaning you choose when they flower by switching the light from a longer 'daylight' schedule down to 12/12.

For seedlings, the most popular schedule is 18/6 (18 on/6 off.) I run 16/8 which is a minimum for seedlings. Some people run 24/0. Having the light(s) on anywhere from 16-24 hours per day is OK, and as I said, the most common choice is 18/6.

When you choose to tell the cannabis plants it is time to flower, you will reduce the light schedule from a longer day (18/6) down to a shorter day (12/12.) Under the new schedule, the plants experience a hormonal shift to force flowering. Once they start putting on flowers, you want to keep the daylight at 12/12 or shorter. It is bad to increase the length of day again. I had one plant, my 10th plant, which resisted going to flower for one month after I went to 12/12. The way I grow it usually takes 3-4 days. After I switched from 12/12 to 11/13, she put on flowers in 2 days. In that extra month she became 1/2 again as large and almost outgrew the ceiling, so I now use 11/13 to flower.

- - -

Sorry to throw more work at you all at once, but you need to know that the only smokable plants are girl plants. Bagseed is usually about 50/50 males and females.If you want to harvest two girls, and you have more seeds and pots to grow them, I suggest you start 2 more seeds right away. Right now your odds are about 25% two females, 25% two males, and 50% one male and one female. If you want to harvest two female plants, planting more seeds will increase your odds. There is no test for male or female for about another 1-2 months.

I looked at a few websites for your Erligpowht 45W:
what I found out:
Erligpowht 45W
225 LED's; 165 Red LED lights (650 nm wavelength) + 60 Blue LED lights (465 nm wavelength) in a 12"x12" square.
No mention of 3w LEDs, 5W LEDs and a Killawatt measured power draw of 36Watts -( it is low power and low price.)
No claims for umol, PAR or an other objective measure - (not unusual for the lower priced LEDs. )
Vendor claims 3-5 times the juice of HPS
Recommended distance 0.5-2.5 meters (18 inches to 8 feet.)

Smokeater, I don't expect you to follow thes buzzwords, I am posting them for someone who knows lighting who comes along to get an idea of what lights you have. I did the research because I was worried these lights might be useless. In my less than expert opinion, they are small, but not useless. In my brain I am thinking of them as 150W HPS.

If we imagine putting together a plan to grow cannabis as putting together a puzzle, when the pieces are put together well, the results are much better than just throwing a light on a plant and watering it. I think your lights are usable puzzle pieces for growing small to medium size cannabis.

- - -

I will now sit back in a corner, try to keep my mouth shut :rofl:, and wait to see what more you have to share :)

12 on and 12 off, often written 12/12, is the cycle used to send plants into flower. Your girls being so young, they won't go into flower right away, but they will as soon as they are old enough if the light stays at 12/12. You don't neccesarily want to send your girls into flower as soon as possible, any more than you want human girls to get pregnant after their first period, but sometimes you might. Since you have a larger tent, my recommendation is to let the girls get older and larger before flower. Almost all cannabis bagseed is photoperiod - Meaning you choose when they flower by switching the light from a longer 'daylight' schedule down to 12/12.

For seedlings, the most popular schedule is 18/6 (18 on/6 off.) I run 16/8 which is a minimum for seedlings. Some people run 24/0. Having the light(s) on anywhere from 16-24 hours per day is OK, and as I said, the most common choice is 18/6.

When you choose to tell the cannabis plants it is time to flower, you will reduce the light schedule from a longer day (18/6) down to a shorter day (12/12.) Under the new schedule, the plants experience a hormonal shift to force flowering. Once they start putting on flowers, you want to keep the daylight at 12/12 or shorter. It is bad to increase the length of day again. I had one plant, my 10th plant, which resisted going to flower for one month after I went to 12/12. The way I grow it usually takes 3-4 days. After I switched from 12/12 to 11/13, she put on flowers in 2 days. In that extra month she became 1/2 again as large and almost outgrew the ceiling, so I now use 11/13 to flower.

- - -

Sorry to throw more work at you all at once, but you need to know that the only smokable plants are girl plants. Bagseed is usually about 50/50 males and females.If you want to harvest two girls, and you have more seeds and pots to grow them, I suggest you start 2 more seeds right away. Right now your odds are about 25% two females, 25% two males, and 50% one male and one female. If you want to harvest two female plants, planting more seeds will increase your odds. There is no test for male or female for about another 1-2 months.

So if I understand you right, Switching to a longer light cycle would be bad when you said " It is bad to increase the length of day again" or should I switch to the 18/6 cycle while they are still sprouts? I will also transplant them into the bigger containers to as soon as I can get the dirt, But my wife doesn't want to go out today, so I will have to wait until she goes out again (I'm disabled and can drive, but need her or someone to push me in my wheelchair when we get there. Being disabled is a real pain (no pun intended, but that's accurate too). I have no gardening tools either, but I'm sure I can get by with stuff I have around the house.

also, unfortunately I only had these seeds (nowadays the bags have no seeds any more it seems, when I was a teenager I remember having to pick them out all the time). I can't afford to buy any seeds (NOT looking for a handout, I don't want to risk anyone getting in trouble for me) for a year or so to save up for them. I had been thinking that I would just get more seeds from when these grow up. Thank you so much for all the info, I now have water sitting out to be distilled and will transplant and use the grow tent as soon as I can get the dirt. Still working on the camera, Hopefully I will have it figured out today. Thanks again!

O.K., I give up on trying to upload pics, I try and do what the "how to" guide thats about 10 pages long but never get a chance to upload them to my thread, I have no idea how this works and I've been trying to figure this out for the last 4 hours just to show a couple of pics to my friends (you guys). If anyone knows a shortcut I'm open, but right now, I give up. BTW, I got the pics from the phone onto my hard drive, I just can't get them up in my journal.

Sorry if last post sounded harsh, I'm just aggravated trying to show you guys these pics and making no headway. I apologize. I sounded like an idiot and don't want you guys think I'm taking it out on you (That was NEVER my intention). You have all been so much help, I just wanted to show you the pics since it seems everyone loves to see them and got aggravated trying to show you what I've been able top do so far. Sorry for being an ass.

Sorry if last post sounded harsh, I'm just aggravated trying to show you guys these pics and making no headway. I apologize. I sounded like an idiot and don't want you guys think I'm taking it out on you (That was NEVER my intention). You have all been so much help, I just wanted to show you the pics since it seems everyone loves to see them and got aggravated trying to show you what I've been able top do so far. Sorry for being an ass.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has been helping me. I can't figure out how to get the photo's to upload and that aggravated the hell out of me. You guys have been so good to me I have no right to even bitch about the photo's. So no more bitching. If anyone can help walk me thru how to upload my pics, I would appreciate it, but please don't feel like you have to. I understand all the security procedures people do and for good reason. If you guys can't help me I understand and just want to say thanks for everything.

Back
Top Bottom