SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkstar

SlowToke

When I first joined the 420magazine forum last December, I was hoping to find help with growing my own cannabis. And I certainly found that, but I also discovered that marijuana is a far more powerful medicine than I had ever imagined. And even more amazing, it is now being used to effectively treat cancer. Not just the symptoms of this disease or the side effects of it's conventional medical treatments, but a treatment of the disease itself.

This revelation was important to me personally, because in 2014 I was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of prostate cancer. The standard medical treatments are helping, but it's an uphill battle all the way. And if I can find an edge, something that will help or even be a cure, you better believe I'll be all over it! Which is what this grow is all about... a selection of stains that have been specifically chosen to create concentrates of THC and CBD that have been shown to be an effective cancer treatment. And if there is a little left for recreational use, that won't hurt my feelings, either!

Here are the growing specifics:

Grow Media: Doc Bud's high brix soil in 1 gallon Pots (veg phase) and 7 gallon pots (flower phase)
Veg Growth: 4x4 tent in dedicated grow room
Flower Growth: 3' x 6' open tray in dedicated grow room
Lighting: AdvancedLED and Mars-Hydro LED fixtures
Temps & RH: Approx. 78 degrees and 50-60% RH

Strains

Humboldt Seeds Blue Dream
Sativa dominant: Haze x Blueberry
Very Potent Medical Grade: 18% THC

Blue Dream, a sativa-dominant hybrid originating in California, has achieved legendary status among West Coast strains. Crossing a Blueberry indica with the sativa Haze, Blue Dream balances full-body relaxation with gentle cerebral invigoration. Novice and veteran consumers alike enjoy the level effects of Blue Dream, which ease you gently into a calm euphoria. Some Blue Dream phenotypes express a more indica-like look and feel, but the sativa-leaning variety remains most prevalent.

With a sweet berry aroma redolent of its Blueberry parent, Blue Dream delivers swift symptom relief without heavy sedative effects. This makes Blue Dream a popular daytime medicine for patients treating pain, depression, nausea, and other ailments requiring a high THC strain.

CBD Critical Cure
Indica Dominant: Critical Kush x CBD Enhanced
Low THC: 5%
High CBD: 8%

By offering new strains with significantly higher percentages of CBD than currently available in the world market, Barney's Farm and CBD Crew are working together creating new strains of cannabis that we hope will gain further acceptance of cannabis in the medical community. Our mission. Increasing levels of CBD, in our best varieties to enhance pain relieving properties.

By crossing Critical Kush with the pure CBD mother plant, Barney's Farm and CBD Crew have created Critical Cure. This new variety has exceptionally high CBD levels with an intense and earthy profile, and an added hint of sweetness. Critical Cure, is a strain exceptionally appropriate for healing purposes. The medical implications are obvious for those that want pain relief with moderated effects.

These superb benefits come in a strain that rewards with fast, generous results. So significant is the payoff that extra support is recommended for the plant as it matures, and thick, heavy colas appear.

The feeling is more relaxing without "couch-lock" impact.

Critical Cure is a unique strain that represents the latest advancements in genetics, natural medicine and personal freedoms for those who understand the positive potential of cannabis.

T.H. Seeds Darkstar
Mostly Indica: Purple Kush x Mazar-I-Sharif

This mega Indica not only grows ridiculously dense buds, but the potency is out of this world. Darkstar is a great plant for those seeking pain relief, appetite enhancement and other worldly activities. Darkstar is a dream to grow with its high calyx to leave ratio, making it a breeze to manicure.

The Dark Star plant is classic Afghan in structure, growing thick, strong branches at a slow pace, which requires a little patience in vegetative phase and may cause some early anxiety for beginners who expect a more typical indica timetable. This plant is slower than many of its brethren and works best as indoor plant, where it will take 9-10 weeks to reach full ripened bloom. Once flowering, this plant forms a large main cola that is encircled by a crown or budlets. Dark Star flowers, like their cosmic namesake, are super dense and compact. The leaves are wide and so dark that the deep greens take on a blue tinge. When ready to harvest, Dark Star's color changes quickly, with the spiky bud hairs turning pink-red. This plant's clones set slowly, but mature plants are easy to manicure.

The Dark Star high is stupefying and narcotic, with spacey, otherworldly qualities. While its aroma is not overpowering, it is interesting with mellow, almost nutty flavors. The onset is fast, and the high will last through a concert or make for a great afternoon. This is not a functional buzz for accomplishing tasks, especially if they involve reading or counting. Dark Star will likely add another dimension to aesthitic or sensory experiences, and acts as an appetite enhances or pain reliever for medical users.

The plan after harvest will be to prepare two different medicinal concentrated oils; one for daytime using the sativa dominant and high CBD strains, and another for night time using the indica dominant and high CBD strains. But that's putting the cart before the horse at this point. Time to get to the grow!

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

Day 7
I started this grow by soaking seeds for 12 hours and then planting them in 1 gallon pots of high brix soil that has been "cooking" for 6 weeks. In case anyone is not familiar with High Brix soil, it consists of a specific soil, Pro-mix HP, that has been amended with a formula based on lab analysis of the Pro-mix soil. The resulting amendment formula was developed by Doc Bud, a member of this forum, and is supplemented by various additional components that support the soil amendments. That is an extremely simplified explanation of high brix growing, and anyone looking for a good explanation should visit Doc Buds threads, In The Lab With Doc Bud and Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures.

I started with 4 seeds each of Blue Dream and Darkstar, and 5 Critical Cure seeds. Blue Dream and Darkstar are feminized seeds, while Critical Cure seeds are regular. Of this initial group of 13 seeds, 5 did not germinate after a week, so I planted 5 more seeds. Only two seeds of this batched germinated, but my being out of town for three days right after they were planted may have had something to do with that. I decided not to try to germinate any more, so now I have 4 Darkstar, 3 Blue Dream and 3 Critical Cure seedlings. Ultimately I would like to flower 8 to 9 plants in my 3' x 6' flowering tray, so hopefully these seedlings will enough to get me through the grow.

Here are some pictures of the seedlings. They are a little leggy as I was a little nervous about burning the plants from the new LED light source that I hadn't used before, so I was a little conservative with the light. But I have gradually increased the light over the last week and they seem to be handling the light fine. I actually plan to add lighting to the grow tent when the seedlings are a little older. I'll be taking Graytail's excellent advise, and supplement my main 350watt LED light with 4 more 130watt LED fixtures. This will give me more than 800watts for the 4'x4' veg tent. That equals 50 watts per square foot and should more than meet the plants needs.

Here are the pictures, starting with an overall shot of the seedlings, followed by a few closeups of some of the plants:

DSC3009.jpg

DSC3012.jpg

DSC3013.jpg

DSC3014.jpg

DSC3015.jpg

DSC3016.jpg

DSC3017.jpg

DSC3019.jpg

DSC3020.jpg

DSC3023.jpg

DSC3025.jpg

The last picture shows the a good view of the extra stretch of the seedlings, particularly the one in the background. Hopefully this won't be too much of an issue down the road.

Thanks for checking out my journal. This is only my second grow, so I greatly appreciate any advice. Please do not hesitate to correct me if you see me making any mistakes.

Thanks!

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

Welcome little ones. Grow and be strong. And female. :laughtwo:

Off to a great start. Germination is such a challenge, isn't it? I'm going to hope your three CBD Critical Cure are females.

Good to see you take matters into your own hands.

That's quite the array of seedlings, looks like it's gonna be a full house. I'll stick around for the next few months to watch the little ones grow into Beastly bushes of big buds.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Yes, Heirloom sure does!

In fact I just started a couple of clones, sort of an experiment to see if I could have any luck at cloning. Kind of a spur of the moment decision while I was pruning my plants the other day. And I realized that I really wasn't sure how to do it right.

Heirloom, it looks like you have a similar propagation tray and dome to the one I'm using. do you have any advise you can give me? Here are a couple of pictures of my setup.

DSC3039.jpg

DSC3044.jpg

DSC30451.jpg

I think I took the clones ok, taking them from the lower branches of the plants. And scraped the bark a little to expose the layer under the bark, then dipped then in Clonex before setting them in the Rapid Rooter peat plugs. But I'm not sure what the right level of water in the tray should be. You can see from the pictures, I put enough water in the tray so that the peat plug would just touch the water level, which hopefully would allow the plug to take up water without drowning the clone. And how often should I vent the dome? Of should I leave the vent slot on the dome open all the time?

I did put the tray on a heating pad that should have the temps somewhere in the high 70s under the dome.

Thanks for any advise you might have! :Namaste:

Hey SlowToke,

Some things about cloning....

The plant wants to live. A single fan leaf will root, though it does you no good.

Cuttings from lower branches tend to root a little faster than upper, but not by much. I take them from anywhere.

Keep your temps on the lower side of 70's. I have a heat mat under the tray/dome. The controller temp probe I stick in a cell with/next to a root plug. Controller set at 72. The reason is twofold. Higher temps are better for growing canopy, roots prefer it cooler. Closer to 80 degrees, the longer it takes to root because the roots grow slower. And you lose more to rot (high temps accelerate rot).

DO NOT foliar feed until they show signs of new green growth again. You'll scorch the leaves.

Do foliar the mother with Ful-Power a day in advance.

If possible, hold back on Nitrogen a couple weeks ahead of cutting time. It actually makes them root faster. If you start with a lush dark green cutting, it will likely take close to 14 days to root.

I used to scrape the outer skin off, but not anymore. I really see no benefits, in terms of time to root.

Make a nice 45 degree end cut and stick it right in your rooting hormone. Avoid an embolism.

No need for water in the tray. Just keep the plug moist, not soaked. Mist the foliage with clean tap or distilled water until about day 6. No need to soak everything, just a mist. If a bunch of water dribbles out when you gently squeeze the root plug, it's too wet.

Next time leave a pair of fan leaves lower than what you have on those. They are sacrificial and the plant needs them to steal nutrients in order to grow roots and survive. You will probably see them consume those leaves and think it's dying. I leave a low pair of leaves and snip off the growth terminals, focusing all energy on either roots or top terminal.

Days 5-7 you will want to start checking to see how they 'support' them selves. Leave the dome off for a little while. If your get some wilting, mist them and the dome and close it all back up until the next day.

:peace:

Thanks so much for the advise, Heirloom! That will be a big help with this and future cloning attempts, although I'll be surprised if these two make it. It looks like I may have made a few mistakes. Best way to learn, though, right? At least that's what I'll keep telling myself! :laugh:

Thanks, again! :thumb:

Hey, I learn best by doing. Failure is simply learning how not to do things.

And unless those really, actually fail, you haven't done anything wrong. All the precautions and advice are merely tools to give you a better chance. I've had them root in a clear glass of water on the window sill. Last year I simply stuck the cut ends of a trim in the soil...in an outdoor, unprotected enviro, and 2 of 3 rooted and lived on to become seed bearers.....so yeah....they really want to live.

:thumb:

Looking sharp.

Thanks, Canyon! And I appreciate you coming by. :thumb:

Coming back to look at my post in the light of day I think I should apologize for a picture of almost every seedling! Just a little over zealous with the camera, I guess, like a new father boring is coworkers to tears with pictures of his child. I'll try to restrain myself a little better in the future!

looks like a great start!

Emmie! Good to see you here for my new grow! Yeah, I have so far managed not to torch the little guys, so I'm already doing better than last time. :smokin: Not making that mistake alone made the first grow worth it's weight in gold!

Welcome little ones. Grow and be strong. And female. :laughtwo:

Off to a great start. Germination is such a challenge, isn't it? I'm going to hope your three CBD Critical Cure are females.

Sue, thanks for coming by! Please make this a regular stop on your rounds of the neighborhood gardens. :thumb:

Yes, I find germination to be nerve-racking! Maybe I'll be a little less stress with a little more experience, but I'm thinking of doing mainly clones in the future. I guess that process has its downside as well, but at least you have something above ground to work with! Agreed on the CBD CC! That's my biggest worry right now, since I only have three. I'll just try to keep the plant stress to a minimum for the next few weeks and hope for the best!

Well, you certainly attracted some good companions for the journey. You can be sure of it, I'll be a regular visitor. It's odd how my focus has evolved. When I started it was the LOS grows I followed almost exclusively. After I became MOTM I found myself the recipient of a kit and followed a rash of HB grows. Now my first priority is to the medicinal grows of members who will be producing oil. I still stop in occasionally to see the other grows but with over 100 active subscriptions I'm absent more than not.

I've been waiting for this one. I'll be here. :love:

That's quite the array of seedlings, looks like it's gonna be a full house. I'll stick around for the next few months to watch the little ones grow into Beastly bushes of big buds.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Hi Snidrajsed. Glad to have you here! :welcome:

Yes, the veg tent will be busting at the seams by the time we go to flower! But I'll be pruning as I go, consistent with what will encourage the growth that will help with yield, so I think it will be manageable. I assume one or two will need to be culled along the way, so my 3'x6' flowering tray should be just about right for 8 or at most 9 plants. For my medicinal oil needs, a need about 8 oz. per month, so enough plants to produce that yield is important. I know it's probably optimistic to expect that yield, but I'll be doing my best to get it! :cheer:

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

After seeing the success both John and Cajun have had treating their aggressive cancers with concentrated oil, I'd be crazy not to! Conventional treatments are currently holding their own against new tumor growth, but the price is high in terms of side effects. I can thank these effects for my T8 cervical compression fracture I got last month due to weakening and impaired new growth of my bones from the meds I'm on. So once I have oil in hand, I'l be having a heart to heart talk with my oncologist, and see what the oil can do for me.

Now my first priority is to the medicinal grows of members who will be producing oil. I still stop in occasionally to see the other grows but with over 100 active subscriptions I'm absent more than not.

I've been waiting for this one. I'll be here. :love:

Wow! that's a lot of subscriptions! I know you have a lot on your plate... it means a lot to me that I can count on your for your good input here.

You truly are a sweetheart! :love::circle-of-love::circle-of-love::love: :Namaste:

Off to a great start slowtoke:thumb:

Best of luck growing your meds. I'll follow along, but as a learner rather than someone who can help. I'm on my first grow and don't have a great deal of wisdom to impart. If anything crops up that coincides with my limited knowledge then I'll be sure to comment, otherwise I'll silently observe and send positive vibes your way.

Back
Top Bottom