Newbe Grower - 1st Part Of My Grow Journal

BuzzDaddy

Not sure if I'm in the correct Sub-forum. My space is a 4X4X7, give or take, closet, I did have about 20 plants in Solo cups, about 6 weeks old then someone told me I had way to many plants for my size of light and area so I picked 6 of the shortest, healthiest plants and pitched the rest(that was hard as shit). I don't know the sex, their bagseed, I repotted them yesterday because I knew they were root bound. The medium their planted in is Fox Farm Organic from the hydroponic store. Someone told me because their so stretchy, when I repot that I can bury a lot of the stem, whereas they would be shorter and they would be fine to do that. Someone told me that female's are normally shorter and lanky. My set up is 600w mh/hps(I have the mh bulb in now) lighting with 18 hours of light, 6 hours of darkness. When do I switch over to the hps bulb? The ballast has the option of 250, 400 and 600 watt power(Which I have it set on 600w now), an oscillating fan constantly blowing, a box fan rigged up in the ceiling that is the opening/entrance to the attic for air exhaust and circulation. If anyone has any useful pointers plz feel free to comment. Im basically at a stand still today waiting for the babies to come back strong from the repoting. What can i do to figure out which of the 6 plants, if any, are females? By the way, my first grow, of course.
420-magazine-mobile1473183083.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2039794052.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2146753559.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey BuzzDaddy, saw you in the "introduce yourself" section and tracked down this journal. Welcome to 420 from another new member!

FYI- Your Journal link in your signature is not done correctly, it is just text not an actual link

As for what you have going on here. Nice looking babies you have there. As for telling which are girls, you will be able to sex them once you kick them over to Flower light cycle. Or there are many other ways to tell. Do a forum search for preflower as that is the easiest way to tell them apart before kicking them over to flower cycle. Your babies are at 6 weeks so they should start showing preflowers once they hit sexual maturity which could be pretty soon.

Going to sub in on this new journal and join you for the ride.

:thumb:

I got another question I'm wondering about. I have been running my babies on 600w hps, 18/6 time cycle until yesterday. I switched to 12/12 time cycle so I could determine the gender of my 6 kids, should I of changed the bulb from hps to mh bulb also? That probably sounds like a goofy questions but I've been taught from a kid,"You won't know unless you ask"

I got another question I'm wondering about. I have been running my babies on 600w hps, 18/6 time cycle until yesterday. I switched to 12/12 time cycle so I could determine the gender of my 6 kids, should I of changed the bulb from hps to mh bulb also? That probably sounds like a goofy questions but I've been taught from a kid,"You won't know unless you ask"

When you switch light to 12/12 you tell your girls it is time to flower..

As a general rule of thumb, HID grow lights like Metal Halide (MH) and High Pressure Sodium (HPS) are most suitable for relatively larger grows where there is at least 5 feet (1.5 meters) of height in the grow space, though it's recommended to use a taller space for the best results. This is because MH/HPS lights have to be kept fairly far from the plants.
MH lights are generally used in the vegetative stage of growth (when plants are young and growing just stems and leaves), while HPS lights are considered optimal for use during the flowering stage when cannabis plants are producing buds.

This I have read... so maybe someone with the experience can chip in...

AngryBird is awesome. Big shout out to AngryBird.

I did a little touching up the grow closet today and repotted 4 of my babies. No sign of sex yet, which is driving me battie. I have them in 12/12 and when sex is determined, back to 18/6 vegging they go. Pics attached.
420-magazine-mobile929247896.jpg
420-magazine-mobile980910164.jpg

@ZeeTrees, your more than welcome to follow along bud. Thanks by the way. We are all on a journey here and it's definitely a learning process.

Sure is brother. So much to learn. My last grow, witch was my first grow,I started with baggers. I ended up getting exactly 50%. I put down 12 got 6 females. I used a hormone spray (that I wouldn't recommend) that was supposed to improve the ratio. It stunted my plants for a week and I still got the same 50%. Lol lesson learned. I've been trying to keep up with everyone and the journals the best I can it's tuff from the phone but I'll get it, I'm not going anywhere! Thanks for the welcoming I'll sub as soon as I get to a computer!

Sent from my iPhone using 420

@ZeeTrees, this, of course is my first grow and I started out with 20 plants, which were beauties, then someone told me I had too many plants for my size of light so I got rid of all except 8, I was keeping 6 and taking my chances on getting 3 girls (You know, the 50%) and I'm giving 2 to a buddy to try his hand at growing. I have 2 more to transplant into 5 gallon and I've got um in 12/12 hoping to determine sex, then I'll put um back in 18/6. So that's where I'm at today but I'm lovin' minute of the journey.

@ZeeTrees, this, of course is my first grow and I started out with 20 plants, which were beauties, then someone told me I had too many plants for my size of light so I got rid of all except 8, I was keeping 6 and taking my chances on getting 3 girls (You know, the 50%) and I'm giving 2 to a buddy to try his hand at growing. I have 2 more to transplant into 5 gallon and I've got um in 12/12 hoping to determine sex, then I'll put um back in 18/6. So that's where I'm at today but I'm lovin' minute of the journey.

Sounds awesome man. Yea I stepped up in size to a 2x4x7 tent and an LED that is just a tad bit to small for my tent so once I get a little closer to flower I'll add some more lighting. I also have a hydro setup that I'm about to put seeds in tomorrow. That is 100% new to me. Got some northern lights autos in there so we'll see how it goes. I'll be following along brother. Best of luck!

Sounds awesome man. Yea I stepped up in size to a 2x4x7 tent and an LED that is just a tad bit to small for my tent so once I get a little closer to flower I'll add some more lighting. I also have a hydro setup that I'm about to put seeds in tomorrow. That is 100% new to me. Got some northern lights autos in there so we'll see how it goes. I'll be following along brother. Best of luck!

DIY......
420-magazine-mobile163275097.jpg
Keeping the neighbors at bay....LOL

DIY......
420-magazine-mobile163275097.jpg
Keeping the neighbors at bay....LOL

ISn't this going to make them MORE curious?
Cant you get that film thing you can stick on the window? It makes you be able to look out but not in.

ISn't this going to make them MORE curious?
Cant you get that film thing you can stick on the window? It makes you be able to look out but not in.
There are blinds behind the plastic. Yeah, if I would of just put up black plastic, dead giveaway but you just gave me a great idea. More light, happier babies.

Back
Top Bottom