Everence's First Grow 2016 - Soil - Mystery Seeds - Unknown Strain

everence

Hi everyone! So I decided to start growing cannabis to be able to support my med usage. I suffer from Bipolar I and cannabis have helped with my symptoms better then any of the antipsychotics that I have tried. I do use lithium as well, and I have not had any sort of interaction between the two.

The story starts with me getting a hold of some seeds from my brother. His friends dad is a grower apparently and he gave my brother about 100 seeds from a harvest. The strain is unknown since my brother didn't ask.

ENVIRONMENT & LIGHT
I'm primarily trying to grow outside in my garden (south facing) to use the power of the sun, since I can't afford a good indoor light setup at the moment. Although, I have been using a 2 Bulb T8 flourescent 6500k shoplight indoors to get them from seed to their first leaves.

I live in Northern California. The sun is pretty strong and the temperatures outside can be high 87F-101F. Humidity is usually pretty low. I'm somewhat nervous about having these seedlings outside because of the temperatures. I'm trying to harden them off using a DIY shade cloth I made.

sunshade.JPG

CONTAINER & SOIL
I'm starting them off in small solo cups. The 9oz cups to be exact. I bought the soil from my local Walmart. I couldn't find any links or info about the soil online. I've been watering the plants using filtered water. I tested the ph with a pool test kit and it came out to be around 6.8-7.0
soil_brand.JPG
soil_ingredients1.JPG

PROGRESS TO DATE
Here are photos showing the progress that I have made so far. Since this is my first grow, I can't really tell if they coming along slow or fast, maybe you guys can chime in on that.

Aug 21st (Probably about 3 days after planting and germinating with paper towel)
aug21.JPG

Aug 23rd
aug23.JPG

Aug 24th
aug24.JPG

Aug 29th
aug29.JPG

Questions So Far:

1) Lately it's been 90-95F, is this too warm for these seedlings? I just put them outside on the 28th. After a day I didn't notice any significant color change, and they have grown a little. The shade cloth should help? I'm also trying to be aware about overwatering.

2) The seedlings seem to be growing their first leave to a larger size, while slowly working on their 2nd tier. Is that how it normally goes? Also the some of the plants seem like they aren't growing 3 leaves on the 2nd tier, but rather another set of single leaves?

Thanks for checking out my startup and I'll be sure to keep updates on the log.:thanks:

Sunshade is working out really well! The seedlings seem to really like it and I've notice quite a boost in growth and vigor since moving them outdoors. It's been about 90F today, but they have been keeping the moisture in the soil towards the bottom of the cups. They are still young, but as a first time grower it's really nice to see a jump in growth within a short time. I guess they were busy establishing roots? Or did the change to sunlight give more energy?

I've decided to use my good camera for the rest of the journal.

Sunshade in action!

View from inside the sunshade. I like how light scatters onto the leaves through the screen.

Group photo with a newly added seedling that popped today.

2nd Germination

These two were actually my first germination round, about 3 days before the 2nd Gen that fill most of the cups. 3 others in the same round died. I first planted them into soil from my garden, but had to transplant them into better draining soil, and by looking at the tips of the first leaves, they looked like a nutrient burn. The plants seemed to focus on growing taller and making new leaves instead of growing the first true leaves bigger. These two plants definitely stand out from the rest. Can someone explain this?

I would really like to hear what people think about what I'm doing. I guess I'm just hungry for feedback being my first grow and all. I would have loved to plant earlier in the year outdoors (wasn't fully given the green light to grow), but I'm hoping summer is a little longer up here. Also I figure with theoretically smaller plants, I should go for quantity to get a semi descent yield.

Thanks!

Sup my man, it is looking great in here :thumb: 95 is quite hot but that is outside temps and can't really change that too much. Just make sure they receive enough of a breeze to keep them nice and cool. The shade structure is a very good idea and will help with temps that is high. I wouldn't worry too much about the single set leaves as it will start developing some better sets shortly. Since you will be growing outside it is a good idea to get some pest control strips or spray to help since I am thinking it could also be pests causing the plants trouble. It is natural for it to start developing new leaves and keeping the first set the same size.
IMG_20160515_213409.jpg

Mine did the same so no worries bru :high-five: Keep up the good work, airie vibes to you

Thanks for the positive vibes Pat. Luckily some cooler weather is on it's way and should be mid to high 80's soon.

Hey Everence, hope seedlings look great, nothing astray in the. The temps however are a little high, seedlings enjoy a little higher temps, but not for long. If you can get it to the mid 80s you're golden. As long as they have a good source of fresh air via fans they'll be fine. Here's to hoping for lower ambient temps around your area... Good luck and...

KiG :green_hear:cheers

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom