300W LED - Hydroponic - Moby Dick - First Grow - With Love

PopoPipo

420 Member
Hello weed lovers! :love:

My roommate moved out and left me this IKEA "ANEBODA" wardrobe. So I decided to do a small investment and start a project I've had in my mind for years now!

IMG_57985.JPG

I started off applying silicone to all the cracks and painting the inside with white outdoor-paint to protect the wood against the moisture. Then I glued aluminum foil to the windows to prevent light shining into my bedroom at night and applied another coat of paint.

IMG_57995.JPG

One of the main reasons to grow my own cheeba is because I can't stand MoFos selling me some tree which they don't even know the name of. Furthermore I'm a huge sativa fan and like being active on my trips, so I decided for this autoflower "Moby Dick" which some folks on the Web described as "the caffeine of weeds".

IMG_58015.JPG

After Germinating the seed I mixed some coco coir with Perlite and planted the seedling in a plastic cup with holes on the bottom and covered it with cling wrap to maintain high moisture levels.

IMG_58005.JPG

IMG_58027.JPG

Then I prepped a plastic bucket with aluminum foil and a 10w 6600k LED and just had the seedling under it as shown:

IMG_58034.JPG

IMG_58045.JPG

As you might have expected, it went alright for a while, but the seedling showed signs of burns, so after a bit I changed the whole construction, got a 50w 6600k "Corncob" LED and installed a fan next to it for cooling.

IMG_58208.JPG

IMG_58603.JPG

IMG_582110.JPG

I stuck to this nutrient plan, but a few days in my baby turned yellow again.

IMG_58498.JPG

These are the nutrients I'm using. They're organic and I'm hoping it will show later in the taste as the internet has made me believe. (I also add CalMag)

IMG_58466.JPG

At this point I must admit, I was struggling quite a bit in the beginning to get the ratio of light, water and nutes right, so the little one grew slower than she could have due to constant owerwatering, light- and nute burns.
After about three weeks of starting the gemination process she was finally getting too big for the little cup and I switched her to the bigger home I had completed for her so far.

IMG_58644.JPG

IMG_5869_2_Paint.jpg

I wanted my set up which to be as reduced and slick as possible yet promising to bring big yields, thus after doing some research online, I decided to go for LEDs and a Hydroponic system.
The dimensions of the wardrobes inside are:
50cm x 80cm x135cm
20" x 31,5" x 53"
Since this is my first ever grow, it took me a while to browse through all these, sometimes conflicting tips and advices online, but I ended up going with the dimmable 300w GalaxyHydro LED Grow Light.
On the bottom of the bucket I installed an 1,8w airpump and a 2,8w waterpump which circulates the water through a hose to the bottom of the pot.

IMG_58596.JPG

I also added more (only) perlite to the bit of coco/perlite mix from the cup

IMG_586511.JPG

IMG_58667.JPG

Then I started it all up and set the timer to a 18-6 rythm (The air pump will be continuously turned on in the future, when the roots are long enough to reach the water).

I played around with keeping the plant with no cover, but she's still too weak and the moisture seems to be good for her. This is her now, pretty much a month after putting the seed in water.

IMG_591911.JPG

IMG_59228.JPG

I'm glad she's finally doing so well. I'm only giving her half the nutes that the sheet above recommends and I have the GalaxyHydro on 20% only. (The 50w Corncob LED is on as well) The roots seem to have grown to the bottom of the cup and manual watering is no longer necessary.

-------------------------
I have a question though to all experienced growers out there. yesterday I noticed three little white spots, which I don't really know what they are. I'm hoping they are just residue of water droplets, but if you think its mold I would really like to act quickly!

IMG_5922_arrows_.jpg

-------------------------------------

I'm also wondering if I should add the second corncob light, or when and how much I should turn up the GalaxyHydro. So let me know, if you have any advice! ;-)

Alright alright, I will keep you up to date. Sit back and enjoy the ride guys

Peace!

A zip tie crazy glued to the side works good to hold an air line and you dont need a bowl you need a fan blowing on the plant that's how it photosynthesizes exchanging o2 for co2 you want the leaves to shimmer not blow away though. what is your ph at ? what do you set it at ?

Hab

Yo,

I set the Ph usually from 5,70 to 5,75. Atm I only check it once a day, so I'm sometimes adjusting down from 6,0.
---------
Do you think that sudden drop is still in a healthy range?

I'll install the airline soon and keep you up to date, bud

Pipo

Okay here is the update,

it's day 35 and even though I know other plants of this kind are usually bigger by now I'm glad I haven't totally f*** up this first grow.

IMG_59475.JPG

The watering system works really well as far as I can tell, but I'm still having some trouble with the lighting. People online say a cannabis plant can't have enough light as long as the temperature does not get too high, hence I added the second 50w 6600k corn cob light. But the little one keeps having droopy leaves if the lights get turned up too much.

IMG_59446.JPG

IMG_59456.JPG

---------------
Otherwise I'm adding nutes as suggested now and they seem to work fine, but I don't quite know when I should start treating her as a gal in veg. and weather I should then switch the 6600ks for full spectrum grow LEDs.

And one tip as a side note:
If you should ever consider a similar setup than I have, try using white silicone instead of transparent, or else you end up with this gate to Narnia at nighttime ^^

IMG_592411.JPG

IMG_59238.JPG

(# Habitual: Not sure I understood what you meant by airline...)

Alright, hopefully I can show you some nice thick buds in the end of it all

Pipo

There has been some development folks,

it's day 41 and the recent upgrades to my setup were the following:

I had to improve its cooling abilities, or else I would never be able to add lamps, or turn up the GalaxyHydro. That's why she got her own little fan that solely moves hot air away from her.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

I had to add a pipe fan to the exhaust. The window to my room lays on the other side so I'm cooling with the warmest air that's in here (There have been some really cold nights, with my window open).

IMG_598010.JPG

IMG_597710.JPG

Then I also added demp papertowels around her which I occasionally spray with water, to raise humidity to about 45%.

IMG_59819.JPG

Oh, and she is getting a bit bigger and bushier.

IMG_597610.JPG

I'm guessing she is at least in her transition state. If you look a bit closer you can clearly see the brown spots on the bottom leaves. They appeared about five days ago and I saw it as a sign of heat burn. After some research I believe it now to be phosphoros deficiency. In Veg they need more so I added more Flower-Nutes which contain higher levels of this stuff to this weeks pre-mix.

Her thick roots show me she is doing alright though (Thumbs uup-emoji)

IMG_59829.JPG

My next baby will for sure go into one of those slitty flowering pots. I could imagine a better intake of nutes, evenly, from all directions.
There was also an internal flooding of the bucket. Something got stuck down in the pump, but I was able to fix it.

IMG_59929.JPG

Alright other than that, I think my setup has gained some strenghts in new equip and a more experienced grower.

It should be smoother sailing from now on ;-)

Feel free to write me tips, if you can think of something useful.

Peace.

Pipo

Yoyoyo it's been a while,

so the first thing I changed about a week ago around day 50 after germination was getting a new/bigger bucket to be able to access the water without lifting the pot all the time.

P10706162.JPG

I was also getting worried, because she had droopy leaves every "nighttime", but apparently that's normal, because the capillar pressure lowers when she doesn't do photosynthesis.

P10706302.JPG

This was when I also noticed burned edges on my baby. Apparently it was sometimes getting too hot inside the wardrobe.

P10706242.JPG

So I decided to do an upgrade to the air intake. Since the Wardrobe is on the other side of the window to the room I was forced to live with my window wide open and freeze, just so that she could have a reasonable temperature in the closet.
Hence I installed a pipe that goes from behind the curtain (which blocks off cold air pretty efficiently), behind my furniture to the backside of the wardrobe.

IMG_61067.JPG

P10706273.JPG

As you can see, I added an additional fan before the prior one, but the airflow didn't seem to be strong enough, because my plant continued showing brown burned spots. Then I googled it and apparently there is a big difference between having multiple fans connected in series, or parallel (Pressure≠Air Flow). I then swithed it up a bit and now I have 3 6cm 12v fans in parallel.

P10706621.JPG

P10706643.JPG

Ever since the upgrade the temperature has been more stable and the brown spots have stopped ocurring. Still, these mistakes have probably cost her some height and strength that she could have now.

This is her at 50 days after germination.

P10706582.JPG

As you can see, she pretty much stopped growing and just fattens up. To raise the area on which the light hits her and increase ventilation throuch the stemt I tied down a few branches, which also creates a more leveled top and lowers the danger of further burns. (This picture was taken yesterday at 58 days after germination)

IMG_61097.JPG

The buds look really cool in my opinion and I can't wait to see her finished in all her sticky glory =)

IMG_611011.JPG

Alright, alright, hopefully these mistakes help you guys with your own grows, since you now know what can happen when you start out as a noob. I also hope she will be ready for trimming and drying before cristmas, so that I can visit my family instead of babysitting a plant... I would probably even do it, but ya know.. ;-)

Peace.

-Pipo

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hey David,

yeah I'm still on it! ^^

Day 88 after germination

I decided to go and visit my family over Christmas, for which I got this timed pump which I prepared to add nutrients for the four nights I was gone.

P10709491.JPG

P1070954.JPG

It looked kind of improvised, but it actually worked quite well to my surprise. She survived and finally turned up the stank a notch! You will also notice the chinese 80 watt growlight LED which I ordered online for 60 bucks and seems to fork quite well so far.

P1070950.JPG

P1070951.JPG

Then I looked at the trichomes under a magnifying glass and I decided it was time to flush my baby.
(Hope it's not too late. I want a nice high rather then a narcotic buzz. What do you guys think?)

P10709481.JPG

P10709451.JPG

Unfortunately I didn't check the ph after those 5 days of absence, but I took pictures before and after flushing.

Before:
P1070955.JPG

After:
P10709581.JPG

And that's it for now. I will change the water mabe twice during the next 3 days and hopefully harvest on the 30th! :)

Btw, I removed the pipe from the intake. The fans were just not strong enough to suck the air though the thin pipe. Now it all works well!

Can you maybe move me back to "Ongoing Journals" now?

- Peace

Sooo, this will be my final entry to this journal, because I harvested and dried her and she's curing at the moment. But let me guide you through her last days step by step.

Alright, this is her after six days of flushing (day 94 after germination)

P10709731.JPG

P10709751.JPG

This was also the perfect opportunity to try out my macro lens. Just look at those trichomes! They're mostly milky as far as I can tell, what do you guys think?

P10800073.JPG

P10709891.JPG

P10709821.JPG

P10709881.JPG

P10709921.JPG

Then I started taking off branch after branch and carefully cut off the little fan leaves.
Before:

IMG_62718.JPG

After:

IMG_62729.JPG

IMG_62758.JPG

These two of the main cola are probably my favourite pics :)

IMG_62685.JPG

P10800242.JPG

But then finally, I harvested it all! This is it half trimmed...

IMG_626910.JPG

...and this fully.

IMG_62769.JPG

It was about 70 grams in total. But let's just sit back and enjoy some more photos =)

P10800291.JPG

P10800311.JPG

P10800281.JPG

The aftermath of it all is a bag full of trimmings which I tried to make bubble hash of, but failed... idunno ^^

P10800422.JPG

Also, this is the main stem after it was all done.

P10800361.JPG

Then I hung it to dry for a week and checked on it every now and then. When humidity dropped below 47% I lightly sprayed the pan below with some water to raise it to about 53% again.

IMG_628210.JPG

P10800401.JPG

And finally, this was the whole batch put into a jar for curing. Final weight with stems about 30 grams.

P10801001.JPG

P10801021.JPG

P10801032.JPG

I know it wasn't an overwhelming amount and I guess I have smoked weed of the same quality before, but this whole experience has really been just wonderful! I gave the plant a bit of a rough ride, that's why she stayed so small, but nontheless I am extremely happy that this first grow turned out pretty great, and left me with lots of premium bud for me and my friends to enjoy. (The high creeps up on you for about 15 minutes after smoking, it's crazy! It's also pleasently light on the head and very energyzing, just how I like it!)

Hopefully other growers can learn from my mistakes, or just enjoyed reading this little blog thingy.

That's it for now, I'll be doing some upgrades to my setup now and try my luck on two plants at once this time. (They're already in their 3rd week. Sit tight for the next grow journal :p)

Take care you guys, wherever you are.

Peace!

- Pipo

Sooo, this will be my final entry to this journal, because I harvested and dried her and she's curing at the moment. But let me guide you through her last days step by step.

Alright, this is her after six days of flushing (day 94 after germination)

P10709731.JPG

P10709751.JPG

This was also the perfect opportunity to try out my macro lens. Just look at those trichomes! They're mostly milky as far as I can tell, what do you guys think?

P10800073.JPG

P10709891.JPG

P10709821.JPG

P10709881.JPG

P10709921.JPG

Then I started taking off branch after branch and carefully cut off the little fan leaves.
Before:

IMG_62718.JPG

After:

IMG_62729.JPG

IMG_62758.JPG

These two of the main cola are probably my favourite pics :)

IMG_62685.JPG

P10800242.JPG

But then finally, I harvested it all! This is it half trimmed...

IMG_626910.JPG

...and this fully.

IMG_62769.JPG

It was about 70 grams in total. But let's just sit back and enjoy some more photos =)

P10800291.JPG

P10800311.JPG

P10800281.JPG

The aftermath of it all is a bag full of trimmings which I tried to make bubble hash of, but failed... idunno ^^

P10800422.JPG

Also, this is the main stem after it was all done.

P10800361.JPG

Then I hung it to dry for a week and checked on it every now and then. When humidity dropped below 47% I lightly sprayed the pan below with some water to raise it to about 53% again.

IMG_628210.JPG

P10800401.JPG

And finally, this was the whole batch put into a jar for curing. Final weight with stems about 30 grams.

P10801001.JPG

P10801021.JPG

P10801032.JPG

I know it wasn't an overwhelming amount and I guess I have smoked weed of the same quality before, but this whole experience has really been just wonderful! I gave the plant a bit of a rough ride, that's why she stayed so small, but nontheless I am extremely happy that this first grow turned out pretty great, and left me with lots of premium bud for me and my friends to enjoy. (The high creeps up on you for about 15 minutes after smoking, it's crazy! It's also pleasently light on the head and very energyzing, just how I like it!)

Hopefully other growers can learn from my mistakes, or just enjoyed reading this little blog thingy.

That's it for now, I'll be doing some upgrades to my setup now and try my luck on two plants at once this time. (They're already in their 3rd week. Sit tight for the next grow journal :p)

Take care you guys, wherever you are.

Peace!

- Pipo

Great job on the first grow. Hopefully I'll catch your 2nd journal before it's completed.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey everyone,

just a few days ago I found two more pics on my cell phone which I took right before harvesting the Moby Dick.

IMG_6211_1_.JPG

IMG_6212_1_.JPG

What a beauty. She will for ever be my first =)

- Pipo

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom