Aedifex

Seeds:

Black Widow, Chronic, AK47-Xtrm, Alien OG

Setup:
Humidifier fed fog boxes (I actually created this setup before I realized it is already being done; fogoponics) I ended up buying House Of Hydro, single disc foggers, for easy setup.
- 3x1.5 plastic totes
- 6" hydro baskets
- 4x4x7 tent
- pH pen and up/down kit
- 2-300watt LED grow lights (5 watt)
- 4- 80 watt t27 led grow lights (5 watt) these are in the corners to illuminate side and undergrowth. They emit little to no heat.
- exhaust fan with speed control and carbon filter
- 2 wind fans
- light hangers
- humidifier
- Digital hygrothermometer
- basic, 3 series hydro nutes (micro, veg, flower)
- light timer

Plan: germ 6 seeds (2 each) grow the 4 strongest. 2 per fog box, 18" apart. Manifold and mainline. Grow to 1.5feet then switch to flower. Minimal, if any, defoliation; this is why I mounted the corner lights. All nodes (within reason) will be allowed to grow. I'll prune two weeks into flower and clone trimmings.

I expect 1 lb minimum from all plants combined.

Yes, I realize this may seem like a fairly ridiculous goal considering it's my first grow, but I have confidence, intelligence, (and about 80 hours of research on my side... ... ... so let's do this.

PSA: I swear a lot :)

Ok, so I'm actually two weeks into my grow now; from seeds.

Germination:
Considering I've never grown and I've read numerous ways to germinate seeds, I figured I'd try a couple different methods.

Method 1: Bastardized germination tray, i.e., Tupperware, with seed plugs - Black Widow
Placed seeds in seed plugs then placed them in a tall piece of Tupperware, and soaked the shit out of them with some micro nute water. Left about 1/8" water in the bottom. Placed the lid on it and set it under my lights (for heat).

Method 2: Baby Tupperware and wet paper towels - Chronic
Yup, you guessed it, I put seeds between paper towels, placed them in the Tupperware and soaked them with the same water. Then under the light.

Method 3: Between two plates - AK47-X
Yeah... I'm pretty sure you know what this method is. Used the same water.

Let me just say, in general, all three methods were ghetto as fuck.
(Funny side note: I spent about $1300 on my setup and then used Tupperware, instead of buying a germ tray and heater... I'm cheap in all the right places :thumb:) Economical maybe???

Annnywho... the Tupperware and germ plugs worked great. The Tupperware and paper towels worked great. The plates fucking sucked. Yes, it could have been the seeds.

Once one of the BW's popped I placed them into a clear plastic cupcake tray (plastic clam shell that holds 4) and added a little more water. After the Chronic split I placed them into seed plugs and then into the cupcake tray. One AK split and I plugged it then put it into the vacant tray (one Chronic left). The others were already in the fog box. The other AK didn't splint after 5 days so I told it to get fucked.

Dilemma,

Continued from earlier...

Dilemma: but first, more history...

So I actually built a 2x3 enclosure in the basement to grow 2 at a time but, because of the cold weather (winter: cold as fuck down there with no heat), grew dissatisfied and purchased a tent. And more lights. And a new exhaust fan. Etc.....

Right, dilemma... I now have 5 babies with only room for 4 (not counting the cold basement dungeon. I don't want to throw one away though!!! The what if's!!!

Ok, new light for the cold dungeon (300w Led with 2 narrow spectrum, 24w, Leds). If I leave the light on 24/7 it will stay warm enough. Good for Veg and I'll figure something out in the meantime for heat; got a couple weeks. For now though it's just a split seed in a germ plug waiting to sprout.

In the meantime, that AK I told to get fucked (I dropped it in the water bottle to feed it to its friends), well he started poking up into the plastic of Chronic-2 (top right planted of the setup picture). I couldn't just let her die... ... ...

Fast forward: 1 BW, 2-Chronic and 1-AK in the tent with fog. 18/6. 79'/53% RH(day) 65'/49% RH (night).
Then AK-2 and BW-2 are in the dungeon. 24/0 schedule. Hydro buckets. Because why the fuck not?!

I did skip about a week so feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, right, pH has been betwee 6.00 and 6.15 for the majority of the time.

Ok, pictures:
Black Widow: 11/26. 5 days after germ.

Chronic-1: 11/28. 5 days after germ.

Yup, sprouts. You get the picture...(pun?) Moving on...

Today pictures: BW-1

Chronic 1

The others are younger and not much to look at yet; next week.

9:30pm
77'/55%RH/6.10pH

So, anyone ever grow with a similar "fogoponic" style setup? Care to share any learnings?

@Tunkers

First grow ever.

I know I'll get something decent, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist (engineer and all), so I want to fucking rock the shit out of this grow. Mostly so I can create a consistent batch of medicine for my grandmother (bad dementia). I need several ounces of each strain to create the proper meds with the proper dosing; trial and error, being new and all.

Im in! Its always great to do something with confidence. It seems you have no problem doing research and applying your self so I see no reason why you wont reach your goal. Ill be watching :)

Update:

BW-1 is officially 2 weeks old and she's growing incredibly well. She's beginning her fourth node and will soon be topped to her 3 (after node 5 comes in). Her roots are also about 10" long, with approximately 20 shoots extending into the fog; I was very impressed when I lifted her last night and checked.

She's a funny girl, though... she is agresdively stretching to the light on the other side of the tent. It's the same model and age as the one above her, with no perceivable differences, yet she's still reaching. SO, I bought some more lights. Since she's clearly unhappy with her own I clearly neeed to give her her own dedicated light. 2 more on the way. Now each of the 4 plants with have their own dedicated 300w LED light. This one has a greater intensity red spectrum though. Same blue level as the first two.

OLD:

NEW:

That puts me at 1,520 watts at a PAR value of about 1,400 (@ 24"). Fortunately my exhaust fan is barely even on right now so I have plenty of bandwidth to adjust accordingly (these light put off very little heat and my tent is in a 63' room)

Temperature ranging between 64' and 79'
Humidity between 49% and 55%
PH holding at 6.10

The dungeon is holding at 78' and both sprouts are doing well.ph is 6.30

The AK's have both done this funny little thing with their second node leaves. They grew with a funny curve; both of them. Anyone ever see this before? Know what caused it and what the end result was?

It's been a busy few days!

BW-1 and C-1 reached FIMming height! I'm pretty sure I got it right with the BW, but I question the Chronic... time will tell.

Slight alteration to previous plan of manifolding all plants: have now read on several threads from various websites that Chronic usually dislikes topping or any type of HST (including Fimming, but I wanted to try anyway. I do have two planted after all). Certain strains of Chronic have a tendency to branch like crazy and produce a million tiny buds when the apical dominance is threatened. So that would totally suck, but if I have a hearty strain I can clone her and all the clones will FIM a and suppercrop just fine. I'm just hoping I get enough for some good trial and error making medicine.

(Good lesson. Being new I figured you could just top or FIM or suppercropping, etc... any strain and the plant would respond (auto seeds excluded)

I also got my new lights today. With cobalt and corner lights I'm at 1,520 watts; LED. Had to crank my exhaust up. Only thing that sucks though is my humidity dropped to 35% - working at raising it. I believe it will be alright once I get the air saturated in the room my tent resides. I'll know tomorrow.
IMG_417711.JPG

With the new lights I'm really going to watch the affect on the plants. It does seem like possible overkill, 1,520 watts in 4x4x7 but I have good ventilation and several available feet to raise the lights - or just go back to two then switch for bloom AND start another tent :thumb:

With the new lights I noticed what MAY be heat drooping of the leaves, so I raised my lights up to 24".

Oh, I also have female pre-flowers on both of them. BW-1's are hug and can see them without aid. Chronic SARS tiny little wispy now but I'm sure they'll be the same size tomorrow or the day after.
IMG_418810.JPG

So I'm super fucking stoked about the BW, because she was from a bag of non-femanized seeds that I sexed based on its shell features. Numerous posts and videos and then I tried it and viola!

Fucking stoked! Just put two and two together like 5 minutes ago. I saw them two days ago in the BW but it didn't click. Then I just saw them again, only larger, and it hit me!

Chronic pre flowers:
IMG_418910.JPG

So I'm pretty sure these are female pre-flowers, but I need confirmation... anyone???

PH is still cool. Had an algae develope but cleaned it up. Temp is 82 RH is 35 (was 79/52 before adding the lights)

(Sorry for the disjointed update. Tested my latest batch of VG-Tincture and I'm a little stoned... :thumb: WORKS!

Anyone going to chime in with some experience???

77' and 49% humidity. Will check pH tonight.
IMG_420111.JPG

Alright, so C-1 is definitely dropping. Checked the roots and there's a small brown patch. Hydrogaurd tomorrow. The leaves are still nice and green so I'm not especially worried. I still haven't ruled out heat though and if anyone could offer their experience with LED alighting levels I'd appreciate it.
IMG_42028.JPG

BW-1 is better. I shut my corner lights off last night and this morning she's perked right up. Didn't see anything concerning on the roots.
IMG_420014.JPG

I also did some light defoliation. Removed the fan leaves from the first three growthless nodes. They were blocking light from lower growth nodes. I mean, I might as well learn all there is to learn about this shit in the first grow, right?! (I did watch several tutorials and read several journals prior to defoliating) based on the perkiness of BW-1 this morning I'd say she'll be alright. I haven't seen her this perky since she sprouted!

Just about every growth site on BW-1 has pre-flowers and c-1 appears to be following suit. Nothing from the other ones yet but the BW were the only non-fem seeds so, provided they don't herm, I should have at least 5 ladies now.

The dungeon is going well. Consistently 78' with a 24/0 schedule. Excellent growth from AK-2. BW-2 is slow but steady. I expect growth to speed up in the next day or two.
IMG_41997.JPG

So, I'd really appreciate some feedback from an experienced grower. LED light experience, fog box experience, strain experience... please and thank you.

It's been a busy few days!

BW-1 and C-1 reached FIMming height! I'm pretty sure I got it right with the BW, but I question the Chronic... time will tell.

Slight alteration to previous plan of manifolding all plants: have now read on several threads from various websites that Chronic usually dislikes topping or any type of HST (including Fimming, but I wanted to try anyway. I do have two planted after all). Certain strains of Chronic have a tendency to branch like crazy and produce a million tiny buds when the apical dominance is threatened. So that would totally suck, but if I have a hearty strain I can clone her and all the clones will FIM a and suppercrop just fine. I'm just hoping I get enough for some good trial and error making medicine.

(Good lesson. Being new I figured you could just top or FIM or suppercropping, etc... any strain and the plant would respond (auto seeds excluded)

I also got my new lights today. With cobalt and corner lights I'm at 1,520 watts; LED. Had to crank my exhaust up. Only thing that sucks though is my humidity dropped to 35% - working at raising it. I believe it will be alright once I get the air saturated in the room my tent resides. I'll know tomorrow.
IMG_417711.JPG

With the new lights I'm really going to watch the affect on the plants. It does seem like possible overkill, 1,520 watts in 4x4x7 but I have good ventilation and several available feet to raise the lights - or just go back to two then switch for bloom AND start another tent :thumb:

With the new lights I noticed what MAY be heat drooping of the leaves, so I raised my lights up to 24".

Oh, I also have female pre-flowers on both of them. BW-1's are hug and can see them without aid. Chronic SARS tiny little wispy now but I'm sure they'll be the same size tomorrow or the day after.
IMG_418810.JPG

So I'm super fucking stoked about the BW, because she was from a bag of non-femanized seeds that I sexed based on its shell features. Numerous posts and videos and then I tried it and viola!

Fucking stoked! Just put two and two together like 5 minutes ago. I saw them two days ago in the BW but it didn't click. Then I just saw them again, only larger, and it hit me!

Chronic pre flowers:
IMG_418910.JPG

So I'm pretty sure these are female pre-flowers, but I need confirmation... anyone???

PH is still cool. Had an algae develope but cleaned it up. Temp is 82 RH is 35 (was 79/52 before adding the lights)

(Sorry for the disjointed update. Tested my latest batch of VG-Tincture and I'm a little stoned... :thumb: WORKS!
Yup female.

"carpe diem"

Some community you have here.

Not wasting my time with a journal on this site.
Relax it takes time . First off put a link in your signature to your grow. Secondly get involved in some threads and ask for people to check out your grow. The title of your thread doesn't call attention . You have a very interesting grow method and I am sure many will be interested. If you can change the title to include the strain and grow method.
Just trying to help. I am subbed up btw.
Peace
Ig

"carpe diem"

Thanks for the response, IG. That's a good idea about checking out and posting in other grows, but wouldn't that be kind of a dick move jacking another thread?

Anyway, I've had some interesting developments I really need guidance on. C-1 above seems to have developed pollen sacs/male preflowers too...
IMG_421811.JPG
IMG_420913.JPG

It honestly looks like male pollen sacs with female pistils...???

Definite hermie. :(
I don't do hydro so I have not commented in the past.
The more you are involved with :420: the more views, posts and help you will receive.
I didn't get much help with my first grow either. Like everything else, it takes time.

Definite hermie. :(
I don't do hydro so I have not commented in the past.
The more you are involved with :420: the more views, posts and help you will receive.
I didn't get much help with my first grow either. Like everything else, it takes time.

I hear ya, buddy. I'm an outdoor cowboy from way back. I kinda became manoeuvred into hydro myself through a strange quirk of events and a mission of mercy.

Op is not the first one I've seen get frustrated by the lack of instant support here. I'm guessing he's kinda young and accustomed to immediate feedback on all the social media networks and to OP I say patience, grasshopper, and good things will come.

Thanks for the response, guys. That's disappointing.

So if I understand this correctly, this is a false female meaning its Male-Male and will make all male seeds or more Hermies if it pollinates itself, yes?

So if I understand this correctly, this is a false female meaning its Male-Male and will make all male seeds or more Hermies if it pollinates itself, yes?

Nah, it's not male - male, but female - male and from my experience the seeds will always reproduce hermies as well and that makes complete sense from a genetic point of view as the seeds can only be a reproduction of itself. You really have little option but to cut it down and very soon before the pollen sacs open up fertilize the others. Bad luck, dude.

From what I understand that if a hermie breeds itself . You should get females with hermaphrodite tendencies. Not worth the chance imo. It should be similar to when using colloidal silver to cause a female to throw flowers . It is a female plant so no male chromosomes.. But the hermie would have a higher chance of a hermie seed/plant.

"carpe diem"

Thanks for the response, IG. That's a good idea about checking out and posting in other grows, but wouldn't that be kind of a dick move jacking another thread?

Anyway, I've had some interesting developments I really need guidance on. C-1 above seems to have developed pollen sacs/male preflowers too...
IMG_421811.JPG
IMG_420913.JPG

It honestly looks like male pollen sacs with female pistils...???
Not at all I mean you go in give advice or go to a help thread when you hàve particular questions and ask there for opinions . That will get traffic on your page as well that is why to put your grow in your signature. People will click and sub.

"carpe diem"

Back
Top Bottom