Secondhand Bloombox - First Grow

BassBuds

Hey All,

I've finally decided to take the plunge and start growing. I was looking at a few different boxes as I wanted the unit to be self contained and easy since it was my first grow. First I looked at one brand that seemed nice, all inclusive, but a fairly hefty pricetag. The BC NorthernLights BloomBox looked nicer, but cost even more. Then I found a secondhand BloomBox on Craigslist for $1500. I figured even if it wasn't complete, $1500 was a hell of a deal. I jumped on it and bought it.

The state of the box:
1 of the submersible pumps was broken, the other was missing
Missing the CO2 regulator
The 9 site tub is cracked
Missing the carbon filter

It also came with the drying box (broken latch, missing carbon filter), and the following nutrients
Cornucopia Plus Plant Energy (the guy at the hydro store said this was a fancy ph down)
Scorpion Juice
PH Buffer #7
Sensi Bloom (Part B only)
Sensi Grow (Part B only)
H2O2

Before getting it, however, I got impatient, germinated a few seeds I had lying around the apartment (removed from bud over time) and planted in Miracle Grow potting soil in solo cups. (I know now that this was a horrible decision). Once I got the Bloombox (last friday), I moved the solo cups (which hadn't sprouted yet) into the BloomBox and put them under the CFL. The next morning I looked, and the two plants had sprouted :slide:.
After seeing that, I was hooked.

I spent the rest of the weekend cleaning out the veg side of the BloomBox, and the veg tub. I used a couple capfuls of bleach mixed in water for cleaning.

Tuesday, I went out to my local hydro store to get some of the missing parts (dosing dropper, clay pebbles, rubber tubing, submersible pump, PH up/down/tester solution, and Flora Nova). The guys at the store recommended I use clay pebbles rather than the rock wool which came with the box. I heeded their advice.

I measured our a 1/4 dose of FloraNova to approximately 6 gallons (estimated... water goes 1/2" from the bottom of the cups) of tap water filtered through an old Brita filter (if this is a worthwhile strategy, I'll replace the filter). At the time, I didn't have a ph pen yet, so I used the ph testing solution, and used some ph down to lower the ph to around 7.

I rinsed the clay pebbles in tap water.

I then took the solo cups, tapped them upside down in my hand until the dirt loosened and the plant fell into my hand. I then loosened the dirt with my hands, being careful not to damage the roots. then I filled the cups with pebbles while kind of holding and supporting the plant. I think I should have waited a few days before transplanting the plants. when the stones move a little bit in the cups, the plants totally flop around.
I moved the plants to the veg chamber in the 12 site tub under a cfl.

I had some seeds that had been soaking in tap water to germinate for a day or two and started showing a little tap root. I took some rockwool cubes, used the ph test liquid with brita water, to try to get it around 5.5 (estimated at best). Soaked them for around 15 minutes, squeezed them out lightly, then planted seeds into 5 of the rockwool cubes (2 seeds hadn't sprouted yet before planting). I know some of them may not work, but hey these are random seeds that came out of buds.

I left them under the MH in the flower chamber for half a day, then thought the better of it and turned the light off, but then the temperature dropped too low so I turned the light back on. Ugh... don't know what to do, it's been 2 days they haven't sprouted.

Today my ph pen and tds pens showed up (cheap $15 ones from amazon). I calibrated the ph pen with the powder it came with (it's an autocalibrate model). I didn't have a water thermometer yet (tds pen came later in the day), so I estimated the temp of the water, the instructions said it should be less than 25 degrees celsius. The powders didn't fully dissolve, but I went along with the calibration anyway... hope that's not a big deal.

I measured the ph of my water, it was around 7.3. I used some ph down to bring the tank down to 6.6. TDS was at 661.

Anyways here's my pictures. I'll try to do daily updates. I'm supposed to get 2 free clones at a grow club tomorrow. We'll see if it happens. I have my fingers crossed. That'll be a much better start for me than the random seeds I found. Good genetics that I know are female. Can't beat that. Please give me any and all advice. This is my first grow.

Forgot to mention, the guys at the hydro shop said that I should leave the submersible pump on 24 hours a day for the drip feed, so I hooked the pump up to the always on outlet. Will that be an issue, if some of the plants are in rock wool (and potentially clay pebbles when they outgrow the rockwool), and others are only in clay pebbles if they share the same 12 site tub?

PrincessFiona I wish my plants were as big as yours :). I'd subscribe, but can't figure out how (and I build web sites for a living).

I went to a grow meetup last night which is why I didn't post an update.

Here's the pictures I took before the meetup:

Here's the state of the reservoir:
PH: 6.83
Solution PPM: 643
Solution Temperature: 69
Room Temp: 63

I then went to the meetup. I learned so much over the course of 2 hours (more than I learned in 2 weeks reading online). If there's one near you, I highly recommend going (or starting one). Last night's topic was germination and cloning. I was having some issues getting the plants in the rockwool to sprout. The people at the meetup recommended getting a heatmat. Also, I was told that since my drippers are running 24/7 for the 2 existing sprouts, Rockwool wouldn't be a good choice because it can get waterlogged and get algae. Instead, they suggested I go with a combo of vermiculite and perlite.

I filled a few 2-3" mesh cups with a combo of vermiculite and perlite, put a seed in each cup (the seeds had been in a shot glass for ~48 hours, some started to show taproots, some didn't. The guy at the meetup told me that he just plants directly). Then I put a piece of wet paper towel over each of the mesh cups, and put the humidity dome on top.

Ok Gotta run. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze an update in later today with pics

So I've determined that posting updates on a daily basis is too difficult. I'm just too lazy. I'm going to do them weekly minimum though.

Anyways, I have a question. Any reason NOT to do this?

Just to be clear, by 'this' I mean: put vermiculite/perlite combo in net cups, on top of clay pebbles in another net cup? The drippers are currently running 24 hours a day?

Other stuff you can see in the pictures... I have a camera taking a picture every 30 seconds so that I can eventually do a time lapse. I have a speaker pumping out tunes to my plants (see mythbusters video). Hoping it gives them a little extra umph.

Vermiculite/perlite works awesome. So far I have a close to 100% germination rate with seeds taken out of nugs. Some up to 2 years old. The heatmat did wonders. I also took 2 of the rockwool cubes that had sprouted, very carefully peeled all the rockwool off, and transplanted them into the pebbles. I wanted to do this before the roots started branching out sideways and got enmeshed in the rockwool. The reason I did this is that the plants I have going now have the dripper on 24/7 so I was worried the rockwool would get moldy if I moved it into the drippers.

Here's some pics.

So Today I did my first reservoir change. I've been topping off with extra water and ph'ing about every so I didn't bother checking the tds and ph before the reservoir change this week. I'm going to start recording ph and tds every time I check it or adjust now.

Anyway, here's what I did...

Since my dripper pumps are hard wired to the "always on" outlet, I wouldn't have a way to turn the pumps off without yanking the plugs. To make this easier on myself (as well as give me some extra outlets), I got some parts for around 5 bucks from walmart and built a little switch for myself.

I'm considering also doing a mod I saw someone else do to the airline splitter which gives each airline a little valve to make them easy to turn on and off.

Anyway, I transplanted everything from the vermiculite/perlite combo to the clay pellets. I have a total of 11 plants now. None of them are feminized so I have to keep a close eye out for males. They all look like they're holding in though so I'm pretty stoked.

Here's my levels after the change:
PH: 5.6
Water: distilled
PPM: 203
solution temp 69ºF
Humidity: 41%
Air Temperature: 79º F

One thing I'm a little worried about is that I prepped 6 gallons for the tank since that's what the directions called for but it was too much. Right now, the water is going up to a third of the cup size. Is that too much?

Thanks
BassBuds

Here's the updates from the past 2 days:
12/22:
PH: 4.4 adjusted to 5.9
Humidity 34%
TDS 236ppm
solution temp: 69ºF
Air temp: 77ºF

12/23
PH 6.9 adjusted to 5.8
TDS 241ppm
solution temp: 72ºF
air temp: 79ºF High: 86ºF Low: 79ºF
humidity: 29% High: 38% Low: 24%

I took a trip to home depot yesterday and bought pvc and rope for making a net trellace, and a fitting for my mixing tub.
I drilled a hole in the mixing tub, and screwed the fitting on. Now it will be much easier to fill my tanks, just attach a hose. (I was considering hosing it last time and just putting the hose in the tank and raising it up, but I didn't want to have to suck on the hose to get it going.)

I drilled a bunch of holes in the pvc and ran rope through it. Connected to make a frame and legs with several corner brackets. I wish I could come up with a way to make the height adjustable, but so far I can't think of any way to do it inside the bloombox.

I also got a $10 grow flourescent from walmart and layed it atop the trellace for now. eventually I'll mount it somehow.

I also have a crack in my larger tank.

Does anyone have advice for how I can fix the crack? I bought some silicone sealant at home depot... hopefully that will work... I also saw some waterproof tape, does anyone have experience with that?

Also, does anyone have advice on whether I should move the vegging plants (or seedlings) to the larger chamber with the metal halide since nothing is currently flowering in there, I can run the lamp at 18/6.

When do I start the veg day count... when it shows its first true leaves?

Sorry for the laziness, but things have started to go a bit downhill...
Yellow Spots on leaves, Droopy Plant, yet explosive root growth?

Here's the details:
12/24
PH 6.4 adjusted to 5.8
12/25
TDS 263
PH 6.1 adjusted to 5.7
Solution temp 62ºF
Humidity 40% (High 46% low 37%)
Air temp 72ºF (High 79ºF low 62ºF)

12/26
Humidity 40% (High 41% low 25%)
Air temp 72ºF (High 81ºF, Low 61ºF)
PH 6.03 adjusted to 5.7
TDS 274PPM
Solution temp 62ºF

12/27
TDS 306PPM

12/28
I moved the best plants over from the 12 site tub, to the flowering side. The flowering side has a 400w MH, ~9 gallon tub.
The first day I didn't have enough water (but didn't quite realize that yet). I only put 6 gallons in along with 1 teaspoon floranova/gallon.
TDS 705 PPM
sol temp 71ºF
PH 5.5

12/29
I added 4 gallons of water and 4 more teaspoons of floranova
PH 5.8
TDS 647 PPM 66ºF

12/30
TDS 794 PPM

Like I said... I've been lazy about notes the past week but it's gotta stop. I've been adjusting the ph around every day or so to ~5.5-5.9 or so. Here's the updated pictures:

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I added a few shakes of great white and root growth has exploded. These are going to be some very bushy plants I think. Nodes are sooo close together.

I smelled my plants for the first time today and damn does it smell sweet. I ordered a 4" carbon filter for thr bloombox on amazon for $35. It wouldn't fit on because the flange was also exactly 4". It was also very heavy and I thought it would bend the aluminum. I contacted BC Northern Lights to ask how much the proprietary one that they make costs. $135+$50 shipping... No thank you. I racked my brain trying to figure out how to get the one I hadto work, then I realized.. Just connect the two with ducting... Duh

I figured out (thanks to the hrlp of several people on the problems section) that mu plants were looking damaged from ph fluctuations, causing nutrient lockout. I ditched my $10 amazon pen and got a bluelab.

Heres some pictures
YESTERDAY
420-magazine-mobile1606038210.jpg
420-magazine-mobile279277137.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1062800959.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1520113121.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1896990771.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1098304518.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1395388843.jpg

420-magazine-mobile916090877.jpg
420-magazine-mobile139463388.jpg
420-magazine-mobile541002339.jpg

TODAY
420-magazine-mobile429144169.jpg

420-magazine-mobile632938631.jpg
420-magazine-mobile480139560.jpg
420-magazine-mobile130474438.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1360530851.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1744305409.jpg
420-magazine-mobile837827983.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I added CO2 today :volcano-smiley:. Hopefully my plants enjoy it. My bloombox has a hookup for it, so I just bought a regulator and a 5 lb tank. I set the psi to around 3 for veg (they recommend 5 for flowering so I figured I'd use a bit less). Plants seem to be recovering now that I have a decent PH meter.

It seems that my nutes (FloraNova) does a pretty good job of regulating ph by itself. I was probably fucking everything up by using my shitty $10 ph meter and then adjusting against the wrong value :(

Anyways. Here's some pics. It's been about a week since I filled the reservoir, but over the course of the week I've added water and nutes. My TDS doesn't seem to be decreasing though as the week goes on. I'm not sure why that would be as the plants are growing extremely quickly. I'm probably going to change out the reservoir tomorrow, that is unless someone tells me I can leave it.

Here's some pics from today:

Plants are drinking much more water now that I've added co2 (around a gallon or 2 in 2 days). TDS was around 1600 so I just added ph adjusted water instead of adding some nutrients with it. Roots are getting pretty bad nute stains (at least that's what I hope it is and not root rot). The seal I had with the co2 tank must have had a leak because overnight I lost most of my gas. I think I'm going to upgrade to a bigger tank next time as 3 days is way too quick to go through co2.

I also fim'ed one of the plants a couple days ago. It seems to be recovering ok. What do you guys think?

I'm also seeing fan leaves as big as my hand

Well here's some pictures

How am I doing? Do the plants look healthy?

Here's the updates from the past 2 days:
12/22:
PH: 4.4 adjusted to 5.9
Humidity 34%
TDS 236ppm
solution temp: 69ºF
Air temp: 77ºF

12/23
PH 6.9 adjusted to 5.8
TDS 241ppm
solution temp: 72ºF
air temp: 79ºF High: 86ºF Low: 79ºF
humidity: 29% High: 38% Low: 24%

I took a trip to home depot yesterday and bought pvc and rope for making a net trellace, and a fitting for my mixing tub.
I drilled a hole in the mixing tub, and screwed the fitting on. Now it will be much easier to fill my tanks, just attach a hose. (I was considering hosing it last time and just putting the hose in the tank and raising it up, but I didn't want to have to suck on the hose to get it going.)

I drilled a bunch of holes in the pvc and ran rope through it. Connected to make a frame and legs with several corner brackets. I wish I could come up with a way to make the height adjustable, but so far I can't think of any way to do it inside the bloombox.

I also got a $10 grow flourescent from walmart and layed it atop the trellace for now. eventually I'll mount it somehow.

I also have a crack in my larger tank.

Does anyone have advice for how I can fix the crack? I bought some silicone sealant at home depot... hopefully that will work... I also saw some waterproof tape, does anyone have experience with that?

Also, does anyone have advice on whether I should move the vegging plants (or seedlings) to the larger chamber with the metal halide since nothing is currently flowering in there, I can run the lamp at 18/6.

When do I start the veg day count... when it shows its first true leaves?

I built some adjustable height scrogs at work I just used a larger diameter pipe and a thumb screw the frame is built out of 1" and the slip legs are 1 1/4 or you could use smaller inside the existing pipes and drill and tap them for the inner pipe to slip up and down.
bf4f5a38e603ec3636a298ba31a961da.jpg
you can zoom in and check the legs out

Yeah redmud on the ph. Spending the money and getting a bluelab pen (~$85 from local hydro store), as well as buffers 4, 7, 10 and KCl ($23 on amazon) was totally worth it. My plants look much healthier and have been growing quicker as well. I'm disappointed about losing $30 worth of CO2 in 3 days, but I'll get it right.

Does anyone know how often I should be going through 5lb of co2? Should I invest in a 20lb tank instead of the 5lb one I have?

That's an area that I haven't ventured, I just use the ferment method with open ventilating I have some friends who have used the bottle and sealed environment, I'll ask around, it may take a bit though.

Back
Top Bottom