RMs 2nd Grow Coco 4 Strains 600W HPS

Riley May

Hiya guys a few will remember my first grow. It was quiet a journey. Many lessons learnt. Well am just beginning my 3rd week and again already learning :) doing this to see how much the plans are different this time around.

I decided to run only 4 plants this time in a hope the attention they get will help the end product.

Am using the same nutes as last time (shogun).

21ad7fe75a18244364f6c6b7892c60ea.jpg

A 600w HPS lighting.
1.2m x 1.2m tent.
Coco Medium.
45L Reservoir and Pump.

The seedsI gearmed are:

THC Bomb, Red Leicester, Critical Kush and Dinafem Critical (one bag seed but that for alittle experiment)

This is roughly day 14 from braking the surface. Unfortunately iv no photos but I will take one now at the beginning of every week.

They have been on full recommended nutes since the beginning of week 2 at 5.8ph. The first week I watered every morning with air'd water. Due to going on holiday I had to rig them up to the pump sooner than planned but it looked to do them good :) so since the start of week 2 they been getting fed 3 times a day at full strength recommended nutes. Timer is set for 2mins roughly 30ml per min each plant.

4193da9476974758a2a2a260da95152f.jpg

RM's First Grow - Unknown Seeds

Hey RM plants looking great! In for your second grow! Full strength at 2 weeks, keep an eye out for burnt tips but everything looks great!

RM please post pics of your drain station! Looks like a tub with a metal screen. I'm very interested in that. More details please? Is it easy to suck the water out of? Looks like it's perfect fit for a 4x4 tent. What is the exact size so I can find one.

Pat! A drain to waste dripper system is the best! It will make your grow pretty much automated. Just put together the dripper system and add a minute timer to the pump! Then your plants will be watered on there own. Only thing you have to do is keep your rez clean and add water and nutes.

Simple drip system

Here is how I made mine. It's super easy! Hopefully RM will post pics of that too so we can see more then one way

RMs 2nd Grow - Coco, 4 Strains, 600w HPS

Hiya Pat thanks for pulling up a seat, I have a very simple kinda home made set up that includes a 45L bin with a fish tank bubbler to keep the water from going stale, a Seltz L40 (2.3 metre lift) pump connected to 3m of 1/2inch tubing on to a 4 way manifold then a stop plug. From the manifold i connected 1m 1/4inch tubing with high bend to act as a siphon stop the 4 water flow restricted drippers and a timer that works in 1min increments.

It's very DIY but saves me a lot of watering. The timer comes on every 8hrs

46dab504733f8212fb232c4a83714cac.jpg

f73c6c80f9fac50ad23d307b1421cddb.jpg

92cea0233f82d96270ffa95ce87cf3e0.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos but hopefully you can get a rough idea :) feel free to ask any questions. I followed the above link BF sent it worked a treat.

Hey RM plants looking great! In for your second grow! Full strength at 2 weeks, keep an eye out for burnt tips but everything looks great!

RM please post pics of your drain station! Looks like a tub with a metal screen. I'm very interested in that. More details please? Is it easy to suck the water out of? Looks like it's perfect fit for a 4x4 tent. What is the exact size so I can find one.

Pat! A drain to waste dripper system is the best! It will make your grow pretty much automated. Just put together the dripper system and add a minute timer to the pump! Then your plants will be watered on there own. Only thing you have to do is keep your rez clean and add water and nutes.

Simple drip system

Here is how I made mine. It's super easy! Hopefully RM will post pics of that too so we can see more then one way
Shot buddy will go check it out just now
Hiya Pat thanks for pulling up a seat, I have a very simple kinda home made set up that includes a 45L bin with a fish tank bubbler to keep the water from going stale, a Seltz L40 (2.3 metre lift) pump connected to 3m of 1/2inch tubing on to a 4 way manifold then a stop plug. From the manifold i connected 1m 1/4inch tubing with high bend to act as a siphon stop the 4 water flow restricted drippers and a timer that works in 1min increments.

It's very DIY but saves me a lot of watering. The timer comes on every 8hrs

46dab504733f8212fb232c4a83714cac.jpg

f73c6c80f9fac50ad23d307b1421cddb.jpg

92cea0233f82d96270ffa95ce87cf3e0.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos but hopefully you can get a rough idea :) feel free to ask any questions. I followed the above link BF sent it worked a treat.

Thanks RM that pretty much sums up the whole picture, with pictures. LoL do you make a single ring around the plant when it goes to final pot or do you have two rings to saturate the coco evenly?

Simple drip system

You nailed it BF, it's simply a home made try 6mm ply board cut too 1.2m square with 2x4inch wood stables around the edge with pond lining in the middle collecting the water and flowing down to the front. It holds over 10L so it's never been full but I have just been siphoning the used water out easy. I dare say if I thought about it I could connect it to the drain pretty easy now :) it also seamed too settle RH too didn't fluctuate between 10% and 100% as much. Then a 2x4 frame with a metal grid over to keep the plants out of the run off water. Iv never left them longer than a week but am confident I could now.

Glad your here mate it wouldn't be same with out you .

f109ddb28cb27e326e7002ed46c29f47.jpg

One of the old girls. This one for you :)

Shot buddy will go check it out just now .

Thanks RM . that pretty much sums up the whole picture, with pictures. LoL do you make a single ring around the plant when it goes to final pot or do you have two rings to saturate the coco evenly?

I have thought about up grading to the ring type but iv got in to a nice routine with the restricted drippers so I'll just take the other manifold off and replace it with this

4972993521e8383a9dc9e2b9cbba7dec.jpg

And have a dripper each side. With them been really slow dripping iv seen them saturate pretty even. I did see in my first grow them some times get blocked so this is more the reason I'll add a second dripper :)

I have thought about up grading to the ring type but iv got in too a nice routine with the restricted droppers so I'll just take the other manifold off and replace it with this

4972993521e8383a9dc9e2b9cbba7dec.jpg

And have a dripper each side. With them been really slow dripping iv seen them saturate pretty even. I did see in my first grow them some times get blocked so this is more the reason I'll add a second dripper :)

That is what bums me out, the clogging but pretty sure you could just make sure it is clean every second week or so?

Some nice improvements RM! Now lets see what you can do and what you learned. Already a lot of great choices between this one and your first. If you set yourself up for success from the start with your equipment/setup and the right amount of plants then it makes things much easier. Looking forward to watching this one!

Air stones are also very important in the rez to keep your nutes suspended in the water.

I like that 4way manifold. I tried using pressure compensating manifold but didn't have enough pressure with my pump. Do you get even waterings between your 4 pots with the mainline plugged in a straight line like that?

Even with my loop it's not totally even. One plant gets a little more runoff then the other but it's very close to even. Maybe if you added 4 more to the straight mainline it would become an issue? I might just do straight line next grow then if it's pretty even amongst all your plants. Looks much easier.

I found my flag drippers to be very even with waterings. I personally don't see a need for rings. I've tried both ways and much prefer the simple drippers or steaks. The drippers fully saturate the coco under the surface. I'm positive drip systems water the pot evenly. A lot of farmers use them. I see them in the central coast vineyards here in socal. All of them grapes on drippers. It's supposed to be better on water consumption. If you are worried you can always top feed once a week or every other week with a turkey baster. But I'm sure you wouldn't really notice a difference either way. The drippers are designed to get water to the most important part, the roots. With the flags if it clogs you just twist the flag open and it will clear. Make sure you look out for pressure compensation drippers! They are ment to be used on a home sprinkler system and ran at a much higher pressure then what a fountain pump can provide. So they will clog. Don't use anything pressure compensating unless you plan on using a big pump.

s8684e0p.jpg

This illustration explains it perfectly! The water drips the top soil doesn't look saturated but the roots zone is 100% saturated

RM +reps for that drain basin. It's genius! Pond linner and some wood, fantastic! Let me see if I have this right. 2x4 square frame, pond liner, and another 2x4 frame with the metal screen? I can't wait to build this up!

Definitely wouldn't miss your grow! Love the set up!

My top feed is setup in an ebb & flow table, a 10 gal rez has a 639 gph pump runs 2 minutes 3 times a day. Run off simply drains back into the rez. Has worked a charmed in my rockwool.

Keep em frosty ya'll

My top feed is setup in an ebb & flow table, a 10 gal rez has a 639 gph pump runs 2 minutes 3 times a day. Run off simply drains back into the rez. Has worked a charmed in my rockwool.

Keep em frosty ya'll

I think I've seen people recirc in coco on a forum? I don't remember anything about it though.. Just have to make sure no coco falls out the pot and goes into the pump I guess. That would be a lot better on nutrients and water. I like that you can use a much smaller rez too. The only thing is I've read you have to keep your water more stable. Like temp and stuff because you can spread disease to your whole grow. Do you chill your water? That would be an awesome thread. Recirc coco. PW please do it! Lol I want to see the possibilities

My plan is to do a coco grow next time around so we'll see how it works out. Ill work on filtering the runoff until then. Maybe a fabric pot would do the trick.

Keep em frosty ya'll

Back
Top Bottom